WD100+ buzzing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WD100+ buzzing

I have severl WD100+ and WS100+ installed along with various companion switches for 3 and 4 way setups. The only issue I seem to have is in my kitchen where the WD100+ is powering 10 LED can light retrofits.(9w/light) My problem is the actual dimmer will buzz unless it is set to 100% or off. Anything in between and I can hear a buzz from the dimmer itself. The LED lights do not make any noise and do not flicker while being dimmed. Only the WD100+. Has anyone ever experienced this? I do have these same LED retrofit can lights installed in other parts of the house on WD100+ dimmers without issue, so I do not think it is the LEDs. All switches and dimmers are running the latest firmware.

Originally posted by NCMike View Post
    Has anyone ever experienced this?
    Yes, this is a very common issue and it affects many automated dimmers powering LED loads. I have heard buzzing with Cooper, GE, ACT, Evolve and Leviton dimmers too. The buzzing appears to be related to the electronics in the bulbs, even though bulbs themselves don't always buzz. Try reducing the load (temporarily) if possible to see if this reduces the buzzing. Also, if possible, try using a different bulb model or brand. A lot of cheaper bulbs have come to market recently and those generally have cheaper electronics internally. Cree (for example) makes a cheaper version of their standard LED bulb and that one causes more buzzing and flickering than their more expensive version.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, I do have these dimmers powering these same LEDs in different parts of the house so I decided to check those as well. My living room has 6 LEDs on one dimmer, if I put my ear to the dimmer switch I can hear a faint buzz as well so that proves your point. I have 24 of these LEDs throughout the house so swapping them all with something different would be expensive.

Is there any negatives to using the dimmer while it is buzzing? Will it shorten its life? My wife has never noticed it so no issue there.

Also, I have had some arc fault breakers trip randomly throughout the house. My electrician told me that they were first generation breakers and most of them don't handle newer LEDs as well. I keep swapping them out with a newer version when seems to stop the nuisance tripping. Have you ever seen buzzing dimmers cause arc fault breakers to trip?

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by NCMike View Post
        Is there any negatives to using the dimmer while it is buzzing? Will it shorten its life? My wife has never noticed it so no issue there.
        None that I'm aware of. I was going to say.. the biggest negative might be complaints from your better half. Looks like you've already dodged that bullet!

Also, I have had some arc fault breakers trip randomly throughout the house. My electrician told me that they were first generation breakers and most of them don't handle newer LEDs as well. I keep swapping them out with a newer version when seems to stop the nuisance tripping. Have you ever seen buzzing dimmers cause arc fault breakers to trip?
        I have not heard that before but... I don't pretend to know more than an electrician!
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Philips Warm Glow work very well with HS Dimmers.

Also, make sure you have the latest firmware for your HS Dimmers.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/Philips%...520glow?NCNI-5
          Michael

Comment

Working...
          X