No announcement yet.

Z-wave function stops with failed sending z-wave command

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have an idea what was the "fix" or was it a combination of things?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp
      Do you have an idea what was the "fix" or was it a combination of things?
      So far, it seems to be the installation of the FTDI drivers. I repeatedly tried different combinations of suggestions with no success. When I installed the latest from FTDI, it got right back on track. I have not updated Homeseer past 2041 yet.

Comment

Thanks for the information.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

The system has been running for 4 days. It is set to reboot every morning at 4 am.

The change that fixed the situation seems to be use of the newer driver from FTDI. There were no hardware changes, and the only software change was the driver for the Z-wave controller.

Hardware Specs:

Asus Pundit-PE3 motherboard with the Intel 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host controller.

D-Link 4-Port USB 2.0 Powered Hub model DUB-H4.

HomeSeer Z-Wave USB Interface ZU0100-001 serial number 838577.

248 MB RAM.

The software specs are:

FTDI Driver version 3.01.04 from Dec 15, 2005 for the Z-wave USB Controller.

Homeseer 2.0.2041.0 running as a service.

Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2 with all patches as of January 21, 2006.

Comment

It crapped out again

Right now I have been having it reboot the computer every 4 hours for the past two weeks.

I was rebooting once a day before, but it failed twice and was it was down for 13 plus hours as a result.

Comment

Do you know what happend
              can you post the HS log so we can take a look to see what going on.
              -Mike-

-Home automation powered by the wind and sun-
              Zotac 9300g-Q9400s-4gb ram-Intel 120 SSD-MS XP
              HS 2.5.0.20, BLlan,BLweather,MCSXap,Jon00 graphing,Jon00 Whois,Snevl/Ten WeatherAlerts
              W2c,Ztroller,z-wave+18,Q100D's,Silex 3000gb
              Zoneminder 1.24.2 - Ubuntu 11.04 x64 on top of Xenserve
              Zoneminder 1.24.2 - Ubuntu 11.04 x64 Zotac D525 atom

Comment

This is just the problem. The log only supplies bland error messages like:

"Failed sending z-wave command"

"Error initializing z-wave interface on USB. Unable to find interface, no response from controller."

The logs just show the system moving along and then the error messages just start showing up. They continue until the computer is rebooted. Then it just starts running normally as if nothing has happened.

I have to dig through the logs and find a specific example, but it usually can't make it through the night without failing.

The machine is involved in an experiment, so I can't let run until it fails. It usually fails after everyone has left the lab, so it will be left sitting there failing all night.

What has me confused is the rebooting to solve the problem. If you simply unplug the unit from the USB and plug it back in, it still does not work. The entire machine has to be turned off and then back on again.

Originally posted by zap
                Do you know what happend
                can you post the HS log so we can take a look to see what going on.

Comment

Does it do this during the day or only at night. Hmm.....

Is the computer set to go to sleep, under the power options and are they set to never turn off ?

What fails the computer or z-wave

Details, can you post a log.

Rebooting will clears every thing to a fresh start.
                  -Mike-

HS 2.5.0.20, BLlan,BLweather,MCSXap,Jon00 graphing,Jon00 Whois,Snevl/Ten WeatherAlerts

Comment

It has occured during the day and night.

The power configuration is set to never sleep.

The failure is entirely the z-wave interface. There are no other USB devices attached to the computer when it is in production. However, I did test the USB port during a z-wave failure to see if the USB port had shut down.

I attached a 1 Gig USB memory stick while the Z-wave was reporting failures. I was able to connect the memory stick and copy 500 MB of data to it and disconnected it. I did this twice. So the USB port was working. I then disconnected and then reconnected the Z-wave controller and it still failed. Of course, on reboot it worked again.

The computer itself shows no problems. Memory and CPU usage is normal. System logs show nothing of interest. No other applications are installed on the machine. It is a single purpose isolated machine whose only task is to run Homeseer. My boss, two lab guys, I.T. , and myself have given the box once over. No one has found anything to make the computer itself suspect.

When I go to the lab, I will pick up one of the log files if I can find one. I have gone over the logs, and see nothing out of the ordinary. What type of information do you think the logs may provide? Is there a log seeting I need to make to get more detailed info beyond failed sending?

The z-wave interface initializes properly at first. Then it successfully issues z-wave commands to devices for a few hours. Then at some point it fails to communicate with z-wave devices. Once an error happens, it remains broken until reboot.

Originally posted by zap
                    Does it do this during the day or only at night. Hmm.....

Is the computer set to go to sleep, under the power options and are they set to never turn off ?

What fails the computer or z-wave

Details, can you post a log.

Rebooting will clears every thing to a fresh start.

Comment

I have experienced this problem many times, and throught it all it appeared that once the z-wave usb device had been disconnected. The Driver and HS would not recognize the controller again. I almost always had to reboot to get the z-wave controller functioning again.

In the end I don't really know what caused the problem to stop. I changed USB controllers. I put the Z-wave controller on a powered hub all by itself. Even though there had been no other usb devices on the machine. I made sure I had a quality 2.0 usb cable to the hub and that all connections had been snug and secure. I also mounted the controller high on the wall about 15 ft away from any other "electronic devices"

I upgraded to the latest driver supported by HS for the Z-wave usb Controller.

In device manager for the usb controllers I turned off power management. The settings can be found in the properties of each usb root hub on the power management tab in device manager.

I turned off all the pc's power management features and screen savers.

And I stopped polling all my devices, I poll very few now. Mostly because that seemed to trigger the problem faster than anything else. Especially polling certain devices, like my sylvania lamp modules, Older homepro modules and switches.
                      And I also put the pc and related stuff on a line conditioner, because my ups does not condition the power at all.

I also purchased the serial Z-wave interface, that is not installed yet. From the day I clicked that buy button 5 months ago, my z-wave usb controller has not given me any problems that I know of.

I also created a batch file that would scan the ah.log file for any z-wave errors and after so many errors ( I think 12 ) reboot the HS PC. The batch file also adds notes to another text file when this happens, not that I have looked at that text file more than twice.

Least but not last, everyday before work I shake a rubber chicken at the HS Server and zwave controller.

StevenE
                      Why oh why didn't I just leave things alone, they had been working.

Comment

SeattleGirl,

sounds like you cover most all the bases,

Recycled the power to the switchs,
                        Does the remote, control them alright when this happens,
                        No other 900hmz devices being use in the lab,

I thought maybe the logs might show some thing leading up to the failure.

You might also add this to you startup script, in the script folder
                        for more debuging. just uncomment the line you want to use

'hs.DebugMode = 1 ' log all script activity
                        'hs.DebugMode = 2 ' log all event activity
                        'hs.DebugMode = 4 ' log condition checks
                        'hs.DebugMode = 8 ' log status and value changes
                        'hs.DebugMode = 16 ' trace functions to file hstrace.log

It could be the interface going bad, but didn't you already get a replacement
                        controller?
                        -Mike-

Comment

Actually, the debugging options are bit-level encoded, so it's not quite as simple as uncommenting a line.

Each option is controlled by a single bit.

'hs.DebugMode = 1 ' log all script activity
                          'hs.DebugMode = 2 ' log all event activity
                          'hs.DebugMode = 4 ' log condition checks
                          'hs.DebugMode = 8 ' log status and value changes
                          'hs.DebugMode = 16 ' trace functions to file hstrace.log

Uncommenting a line allows you to enable any one of the options. But, let's say you wanted to log all script AND event activity. the value to use for hs.debugmode would be 1 (for script activity) + 2 (for event activity) = 3.

So the options run from hs.debugmode = 0 for no debugging at all to hs.debugmode = 31 for logging all of the above. (Pretty chatty too...)

But it's still good practice to leave the lines above in for reference. Just put your "real" line immediately below it.

-Scott

Comment

MrSkippy,

Thanks for explaining the DebugMode in more detail.

Mike
                            -Mike-

Comment

I will try the debugging mode, but I can't wait around for it to go into error state.

As they say, a watched kettle never boils. If it goes into error state while no one is in the lab, it could sit that way for hours. Right now the rebooting every 4 hours is keeping it operational, but it is a brutal way to go about business. Rebooting like that is not a long term solution. In fact, I really don't consider that a solution, just a desperate action to get to the next day.

I am curious about that batch file that searches the log file and reboots the computer when it gets an error message. Can I get a copy of that?

Comment

Oh, there are no other 900 Mhz devices in the lab. The handheld Intermatic control works from all positions in the lab, and even works from a lab up on the second floor at the other end of the building. I also tested it from the street, and it works there too 50% of the time.

So the fact this USB Controller does not work from a distance of less than 10 from the first node, really does make one grumpy.

Comment

Working...
                                X