WM6 Phone App to send gps location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WM6 Phone App to send gps location

Can anyone recommend a free utility that will just send out my current gps position at a fixed internal via email or upload to my server/website. This is for my phone/pda which is running Windows Mobile 6.1 with built in GPS.

Thanks
    Simon

Google maps with Latitude allows you to share your location with friends on Google.

There may be a way to write a script to extract that information from google.

I'd be interested in this as well.

I know mologogo used to do something similar as well.
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
    Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
    weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Originally posted by wpiman View Post
      Google maps with Latitude allows you to share your location with friends on Google.

There may be a way to write a script to extract that information from google.

I'd be interested in this as well.

I know mologogo used to do something similar as well.
      I've installed Google Latitude this evening and it does work, however as soon as the software doesn't have focus it stops transmitting data, even though it is still running in the background. I'm really looking for something that just runs in the background and transmits on a regular basis 24/7.

I can't seem to get any web page from www.mologogo.com

Comment

http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/ppc-...-gpsbysms.html

What type of phone do you have? I have an HTC touch. I'll have to give this app a shot.

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

Originally posted by wpiman View Post
          http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/ppc-...-gpsbysms.html

What type of phone do you have? I have an HTC touch. I'll have to give this app a shot.
          I've got a HTC Touch 3G. I'll give that app a go and see whether that functions when its just running in the background.

Comment

I have also looking for a great gps program that send the cordinates to a own webserver. I have use http://www.aspicore.com/en/tuotteet_...sp?tab=2&sub=2 for my Nokia E90 and that have many many parameters for own server and public services. The software can send http data in realtime. If the device is moving more then x meters. It send the speed, direction, altitude plus mutch more. But I still looking for simular to my HTC Touch HD
            Please excuse any spelling and grammatical errors I may make.
            --
            Tasker Plugin / Speech Droid
            Tonlof | Sweden

Comment

I have a xv6800 that I recently updated to WM6.1 and installed a hack that enables the internal GPS - I am so happy now! I too have been looking for a little utility to send the current location of the phone to my HS server without having to use email or sms.

I have done a little WM 'programming' (more like tinkering) and I see that there are APIs in WM for the GPS and location functions. I'm wondering how difficult it might be to cobble something together for this. Of course, it always sounds way easier than it ends up becoming...

Just for the sake of discussion, here is what I've had rolling around in my head for some time now:
              On the WM6 device
              A tiny app that runs in the background. It monitors your location and if a data connection is available, it sends a position report when it senses that you've changed position more than a predetermined (configurable) distance. Position reports would consist of a plain text packet sent via TCP/IP and would consist of: Date, Time, UnitId, Lat, Lon. Configuration would most likely be done through a .txt (or .pwl?) file rather than a full-blown UI (have to think about this some more), and consist of:
              - Enable reporting (let's you turn it off)
              - UnitId
              - IP address or URL to send position reports to
              - TCP Port number to use
              - reporting interval if position is changing
              - reporting interval if position is not changing
              - minimum distance change to trigger a report
              - GPS polling interval

On the "server"
              The server app would be a HS plugin that listens for connections on the specified TCP port, receives valid data and updates device strings with the current position and 'last changed' date/time.

Unfortunately, I don't really have any time to devote to a project right now, but I am hopeful that by 'putting it out there' we can at least get a project definition and feature list together.

Anyone have an interest and the ability to work on this?

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?
              Best regards,
              -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
              Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Originally posted by mfisher View Post
                I have a xv6800 that I recently updated to WM6.1 and installed a hack that enables the internal GPS - I am so happy now! I too have been looking for a little utility to send the current location of the phone to my HS server without having to use email or sms.

I have done a little WM 'programming' (more like tinkering) and I see that there are APIs in WM for the GPS and location functions. I'm wondering how difficult it might be to cobble something together for this. Of course, it always sounds way easier than it ends up becoming...

Just for the sake of discussion, here is what I've had rolling around in my head for some time now:
                On the WM6 device
                A tiny app that runs in the background. It monitors your location and if a data connection is available, it sends a position report when it senses that you've changed position more than a predetermined (configurable) distance. Position reports would consist of a plain text packet sent via TCP/IP and would consist of: Date, Time, UnitId, Lat, Lon. Configuration would most likely be done through a .txt (or .pwl?) file rather than a full-blown UI (have to think about this some more), and consist of:
                - Enable reporting (let's you turn it off)
                - UnitId
                - IP address or URL to send position reports to
                - TCP Port number to use
                - reporting interval if position is changing
                - reporting interval if position is not changing
                - minimum distance change to trigger a report
                - GPS polling interval

On the "server"
                The server app would be a HS plugin that listens for connections on the specified TCP port, receives valid data and updates device strings with the current position and 'last changed' date/time.

Unfortunately, I don't really have any time to devote to a project right now, but I am hopeful that by 'putting it out there' we can at least get a project definition and feature list together.

Anyone have an interest and the ability to work on this?

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?
                Might be easier to have a web server on the phone which hosts the gps cordinates. Another fellow here with the HTC touch had some web server software on his. I cannot imagine it works wonders for the battery.

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

Maybe we could beg to have the WIndows mobile client of HS touch have a gps reader/interface to the server.

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

I read today that there was an update to the google maps with latitude that would update your position even when the phone doesn't have focus. However it would use your cell tower location instead of GPS or WiFi as it will drain batter a lot less. Might be useful for some people, not sure if you're trying to get a pinpoint location, or just a general idea.

http://www.fuzemobility.com/google-m...itude-updated/

I'd prefer the pinpoint, but not at the expense of running my battery down.
                    Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Working...
                    X