"X10 Received" trigger HS2 vs HS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"X10 Received" trigger HS2 vs HS3

I'm potentially transferring from HS2 to HS3 and noticed a slight variation in one of the event triggers. I should mention that I have a CM15 attached to the PC and I've installed the CM15A plug-in.

In HS2 one of the triggers for an action was "Receieved X10".
    This potentially enables any specific X10 signal generated by a hand held remote to trigger an event irrespective of whether the code is associated with a physical device in the device manager.
    So for instance I could press EI to send an email or B3 to play a sound file etc.

It appears to be different in HS3. There is no such trigger. The equivalent trigger in my case is "CM15A: Command Received" but I found that it only responds if the specific house and unit code has been registered as a CM15A device in the device list, as a virtual device so to speak.

That's not necessarily a problem but I'd like to confirm that this is indeed the case and that it differs from HS2 in that respect. Or is it that I've used the wrong plug-in or using the wrong approach?

Thank you

Originally posted by isy.taman View Post
    The equivalent trigger in my case is "CM15A: Command Received" but I found that it only responds if the specific house and unit code has been registered as a CM15A device in the device list, as a virtual device so to speak.
    It's a bug in the Windows version of the HS3 CM15 plugin, the Command Received trigger doesn't work. Add your name to the bugzilla entry but don't hold your breath, it's been there for a while now.
    http://bugzilla.homeseer.com/bugzill...ug.cgi?id=2283
    As you aware the work round is to create a virtual device with the code you want and trigger your event from status changes. This makes the bug low priority. Interestingly the Command Received triggers work in the Linux version of the plugin so you would imagine it is an easy fix.
    There are a couple of threads about it if you search the forum.
    Steve

Comment

Thanks again Steve for that response. I had not noticed until my lost post that you are actually in the UK.

Your information was very useful. Thank you

After posting very little for a number of years I have another question and there will probably be more. These have come about because I've just downloaded a trial version of HS3 and considering a switch and gradually moving to Z wave.

The other question specifically relates to the X10 interface on HS3. I've seen screenshots that people have posted relating to whatever problem they were describing and I noticed that the layout is not like mine. Wondering whether I've set it up correctly.

I know you said that you're not too involved with X10 now and that Z wave is your main speciality so for that reason and also for not wanting to upset any possible Message Board protocol by posting multiple issues on one thread I'll start a new post for it.

Maybe you would be so kind as to look out for it. Your help so far has been invaluable.

Comment

After posting very little for a number of years I have another question and there will probably be more. These have come about because I've just downloaded a trial version of HS3 and considering a switch and gradually moving to Z wave.

The other question specifically relates to the X10 interface on HS3. I've seen screenshots that people have posted relating to whatever problem they were describing and I noticed that the layout is not like mine. Wondering whether I've set it up correctly.
        Upgrading from HS2 to HS3 was not a smooth process for me, but I don't regret it. It's definitely best to build your system from scratch although I was doing that through the beta stages, coping with numerous bugs and workarounds, particularly with ZWave. HS3 is now very stable for me.
        If I was to do it now it would be a lot smoother.
        I suspect it's probably easier for those starting fresh with HS3 who have no experience of HS2. A lot of things have changed from HS2 and it takes time to appreciate why. Usually there is a better way of doing things in HS3 but it can take time to learn.
        Whilst I probably won't buy any new X10 devices I still have quite a few in operation and they do have advantages in some situations. ZWave can work well but can also be a pain to get working and it isn't good for devices you want to move around regularly.
        You will need to post a screenshot to show the difference you are referring to the X10 interface. There are a number of X10 hardware interfaces with different plugins so options may look different to what you are finding with the CM15 plugin.
        Anyway, ask away. This forum is a mine of useful information but it can be difficult to find what you want. I use google to search the forum rather than the forum search. I've still got an awful lot to learn but there are lot of very knowledgeable people around the forum to help.
        Steve

Comment

Thanks for that.
          I'm surprised about Z wave. I was hoping that it would be less problematic....seems not from what you say.
          Anyway first things first. I'll try and work through the upgrade first but it's disappointing that X10 commands are neither recognised nor logged in HS3 because of the bug you mentioned.
          I know there's a workaround to cover most eventualities but not sure If I'll make the switch until that's fixed. I'll see how it goes. Still 24 days to go for my free trial.

Comment

Anyway first things first. I'll try and work through the upgrade first but it's disappointing that X10 commands are neither recognised nor logged in HS3

X10 (cm15) commands are logged as long as you set it to do so in the ini file.

Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve,

Still evaluating the upgrade but very frustrating because of the erratic nature of X10 itself.
              Devices that used to respond to commands from the software for ages, just randomly stop responding and can now only be activated by hand held remote and some not even by remote. This is more to do with the CM15A interface rather that Homeseer.

In desperation, I've finally ordered some Z wave products which should be arriving in a few days.
              I'm sure that's going to involve another learning curve but I really hope that it will be more stable in the sense that once you get it right it will not mysteriously stop working.

Especially frustrating in X10 is that certain modules that were quite happily responding to software and I-phone commands simply stop responding for some reason causing a redesign of the whole system.

For Z wave, I've ordered an appliance module, an Aeon mini remote and an Aeon USB adapter just to experiment with.

A few things I'm not sure of though.

I downloaded and installed the Zwave plugin for HS3. Should I have done that or does the Aeon adapter come with its own driver?

Is there an additional cost for the Zwave plugin when the trial period expires?

Do I need a Z wave plugin if I were to use it in HS2 and is there a cost involved?

Given that I'll need to learn the HS3 format would it not make sense to opt for the stand-alone Home Troller Zee rather that the upgrade. The cost of a refurbished one from Homeseer is about the same as an upgrade.

Lots of questions, I know.

Please let me know if the message board is not the appropriate forum for this kind of information. If the correct format is to send you a private message then with your permission I will do so.

Thanks

Comment

Still evaluating the upgrade but very frustrating because of the erratic nature of X10 itself.
                Devices that used to respond to commands from the software for ages, just randomly stop responding and can now only be activated by hand held remote and some not even by remote. This is more to do with the CM15A interface rather that Homeseer.
                X10 can be a bit random but I find that what I have remaining of mine work very reliably. I don't have any filters in the house so with loads of little chargers and power supplies dotted around the house it's amazing it works so well. Interestingly I recently moved my HS PC to a more central position in the house and wired in a dedicated socket for my CM15 directly off the fuse box. Previously it was plugged into an extension lead from a double socket that also had a PC a TV a HIFI a router etc connected. I thought this could only make things better but to my surprise on firing the system up in it's new position nearly every X10 command failed. After much unplugging restarting and rebooting I finally tried a long extension lead from the original socket and viola it worked fine again. After further experimenting as long as I used a short extension lead of at least 2m from the CM15 to my new socket next to the fuse box it worked perfectly. Bypass the extension lead and it hardly works at all. I can only imagine that the extension lead works as a small filter. Without it the noise threshold probably means the CM15 is just sitting there waiting for a quiet spell before it tries sending a command.

In desperation, I've finally ordered some Z wave products which should be arriving in a few days.
                I'm sure that's going to involve another learning curve but I really hope that it will be more stable in the sense that once you get it right it will not mysteriously stop working.
                I definitely find with ZWave that once it is all working it is extremely reliable unless you change something.

A few things I'm not sure of though.

I downloaded and installed the Zwave plugin for HS3. Should I have done that or does the Aeon adapter come with its own driver?

Is there an additional cost for the Zwave plugin when the trial period expires?

Do I need a Z wave plugin if I were to use it in HS2 and is there a cost involved?

Given that I'll need to learn the HS3 format would it not make sense to opt for the stand-alone Home Troller Zee rather that the upgrade. The cost of a refurbished one from Homeseer is about the same as an upgrade.
                By Aeon adapter do you mean an Aeon USB Stick? This needs drivers to communicate with windows/Linux. I can't remember whether windows recognizes it and installs the drivers automatically otherwise you download them from the Aeon site. I'm pretty sure there is a link to drivers somewhere on this site. The drivers are not specific to HS2 or HS3 they are for the stick to communicate with windows.

You need the ZWave plugin but it doesn't cost any extra it comes free with HS3 standard.

Whether you run HS on your own hardware or buy a Zee is personal choice. Be aware that the Zee runs a cutdown version of HS3 which basically doesn't support any plugins other than ZWave, X10 and HSTouch. It would be OK for your CM15 and ZWave requirements but may limit your future ambitions. If you upgrade to HS3 you can run it on any hardware you fancy.

There is a Zee 2 coming which uses a Raspberry Pi2 rather than the original Pi and will probably support more plugins. I would expect HS to charge more for it though. If you upgrade your license to HS3 you can always run it on a Pi2 if you want.

I hope this helps.

Steve

Comment

Comment

I now mainly use X10 only for the good remote controls that have so much WAF. My X10 sockets have been retired to my Mothers house.

A HS3 event, and a KR22E X10 remote code can turn on a Z-Wave device - I even did the bedside light Z-Wave dimmers so that a quick KR22E "on" gives a dim light, and two presses gives full light.

I will keep on with the X10 remotes until the Z-Wave ones get easier to use !

Cheers,

Tim
                    Win 11 Pro | HS4 Pro | Z wave plug in with UZB1 | BLUSBUIRT 2.0.11.0 | RFXtrx433 | Blue Iris CCTV | VU+ 4k with motorised dish | Emby | Hi-Phone HS2 | ESP32 with WLED |

Comment

Yes that seems like a good idea. I'll experiment with that when I receive my xwave stuff. Should be in a few days.
                      Thanks for the idea.

Comment

Trigger hs3 event with x 10 code?

moved from hs2 to 3. Input my events. But can't figure how to trigger an event with x10 code?
                        HS3 , Zwave, HometrollerS6, ELK M1G Ultra; mcs sprinklers; WGL800; BLRF; BLNetCallerID; BLSpeech

Comment

Originally posted by gfs View Post
                          moved from hs2 to 3. Input my events. But can't figure how to trigger an event with x10 code?
                          So gfs, did you ever find a way to trigger events with a X10 code? I use quite a few X10 mini controllers in HS2 to control my ZWave and Insteon devices (and a few old X10 modules as well). Just not having any luck in HS3.

Comment

In order to trigger an event on an X10 signal received in HS3 you must have a device that has that X10 code assigned.
                            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by tbone View Post
                              So gfs, did you ever find a way to trigger events with a X10 code? I use quite a few X10 mini controllers in HS2 to control my ZWave and Insteon devices (and a few old X10 modules as well). Just not having any luck in HS3.
                              so I had this setup in HS3.. need to do so again...

I have a leviton 6400 which is a device with 4 rocker buttons.
                              That device you set the house code to say G3
                              Essentially it takes G4 - G7

so I create a device in HS3 called Track Lights Button and gave it G7
                              i then did an event saying
                              Track Lights button changes and Becomes On then Track Lights On

then reverse for off.

the track lights are on a zwave appliance module

this works great
                              HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Working...
                              X