Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Hobby - Chemical Photography

Hi All,

I have been a bit absent of late, a combination of live, two kids and various hobbies have taken up most of my time. I must say the HA system has for the most part been working very well since I have not had time to tinker with it, "he who leaves it alone displays the greatest HA uptime" I think is the saying by Socrates (or I could have made it up...).

One of my hobbies has been having a look at the structure of a range of chemicals under the microscope, doing this lets you see incredible patterns that form during evaporation, and in certain chemicals there is a property called birefringence, this means the refractive index changes based on the angle of light, degree of polarization etc, the end result is fantastic colors.

his image is of a compound called Sodium Thiosulfate, used for heaps of different things from neutralizing chlorine to photographic processing. I have a full writeup which I won't post, but for a few more pics and how it was prepared etc there is a blog entry at my site http://www.travishale.com/sodium-thiosulfate-polarized-light-microscopy/
    Attached Files
    HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Very nice picture Travis!

Here there wasn't much related to computers (other than playing star trek during physics laser learning) so got a degree in biochemistry. I recall having to purchase a microscope at the time because of the almost 24/7 having to depend on a microscope for this or for that. (They kept the library open but the chemistry labs had hours only until maybe 10 PM).

Did play much with this stuff; even making money on side to find out about unknowns.

One interesting thing I did with the human body was look at Isomerism and how it works inside of us.

See for yourself. Take a genome, isolate it and play (tinker) away with it.

Last edited by Pete; July 1, 2016, 08:44 AM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

You are the suprise pete, didnt relize you were Biochem! The isomerism is very cool

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk
      HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Comment

From a very long time ago Travis.

Isomerism look at came post Baccalaureus Scientiae and during Medicinae studies.

Another life and time.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
        X