Repost from another thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repost from another thread

Hi all, I posted this message in Another thread about a another problem that has arrived with HS3. Just thought I would repost it here for my thoughts.

just now started getting the same errors. been trying to get upgraded to HS3 pro for weeks now and I have had nothing but problems. And now this, all X10 stuff stopped working. at this point with all the problems I am thinking about just going back to HS2 where I had zero problems. This software and plugins cost way to much money to be having this much problems. I could see years back paying this money for this software, but now a days there are so many new devices and setups that require very little setup and work all the time. I still have not got HS3 to stay up for even one day. I have spent meany hours on fixing and recreating and reloading windows and HS. it is just not worth it any more with the google home and Alexa and the Siri can IFTT Most stuff can be done that really needs to be done and not just nice to have. I really think that I am going to just quit with HS3 and use HS2 for a while and then work on a system with just Apple Home Kit or the Alexa ,google home solution

I think that the Homeseer guys have made a huge mistake by redesigning HS3 and should have just built upgraded HS2 to include all the new stuff. I have been with Homeseer since the beginning but now it is just not cost effective and Should really look at reducing their pricing. If they don't I think they will eventually lose everyone for just the price of this software alone you can buy whole lot of home automation equipment and I'm talking about the new stuff. I don't have the time or the money had this much frustration just to get some motion sensors to turn on some lights. And the price of the plug-ins are outrageous now. My HS2 worked almost I'll hundred percent of the time it was very reliable. I know it's just not me, I see a lot of the same post on issues with HS3. I have never spent this much time to try to get this is all working. Once one problem is fixed it creates an another problem. I guess if you have the money and the time then it's fine. But in today's world there's too many options. My trial of HS3 is just about up. And if I do not have it running by then I will not upgrade. It's easy to say it's a hardware problem. But that's hard to believe when the HS2 works great on the same hardware. As I am typing this I just see where Home seer stop working again. I can't rely on it. It's a shame but that's the way it is so tired of working on this. I even tried it I am brand-new machine same issues. I guess I have a week Taylor trial runs out then it's back to HS2. Sorry to vent so much really come on now.

Yes after reading this again I see a lot of mistakes typing that just goes to show you how frustrated and tired I'm working on this. So please forgive the typos

Michael

Comment

Can you please post your system specs. plus the versions of HomeSeer and Windows. Did you just migrate your HomeSeer folder? (indicates such problems). Starting from scratch is what I did. I use a Windows Server 2012 R2. It backs itself up daily on a portable hard drive so if anything bad happens I restore the problem folder (in this case HomeSeer)

Now I can also tell you that X10 is no longer one's best choice when it comes to HS3 although still supported!
      And also note that your HS3 licence (I use pro) allows to run it on a Linux box. So grab yourself a spare box (I use RPI 3 and Odroid C2) and follow instructions from here : https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=162813

Mono : I followed Spud's instructions from here : https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=183916

You will also need to check on these guys here :
      https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=186864

If you still want to run the old and new (and of course the crazy) then check on my posts here : https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=178571 and here : https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=185697

Note: don't forget to update Windows and or .NET Framework! if you are using Windows. (On .net framework :https://lifehacker.com/5791578/what-...y-do-i-need-it)

I help where I can when one is need because of the amount money invested doing home automation. And I don't write plugins but support those who create them, buy or otherwise.

EDIT: This one here : https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=166650 look interesting!

Eman.
      Last edited by Eman; October 28, 2017, 07:34 AM.
      TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

@Tim,

Here too have gone now from Homeseer 1 to Homeseer 2 and currently running Homeseer 3.

Homeseer 3 is very different from Homeseer 2 and has taken some time for me to get used to it.

Concurrently with Homeseer 3 I have migrated from Windows to Linux.

Today primarily run Homeseer 3 at home with no internet / cell phone dependencies.

I do tinker with Almond +, Samsung Smartthings hub, Amazon Alexa...and not tethered to my phones or tablets (Android, Apple or Microsoft).

Relating to Homeseer SAPI speech here have remained in the primary Microsoft world of speech. IE: for home use only utilize Microsoft SAPI today. New adds are Spud's Microsoft Kinect. (play with Alexa but have no dependencies on it and my smart phone use).

Relating to lighting control still utilize X10 (working well these days), CM11A (and Volp stuff), UPB, ZWave and Zigbee.

I prefer powerline over wireless lighting control. (IE: X10 and UPB).

Baby steps Tim for Homeseer 3.

Put Homeseer 3 on a new computer while concurrently keeping Homeseer 2 running.

On the HS3 Pro machine running in Ubuntu Linux I also run Microsoft Windows 7 in a virtual box to be able to use Windows only stuff and it works well.

For HS3 core changes in Lighting & Primary Technology Discussion look here ==> Lighting & Primary Technology General Discussion

Homeseer has concentrated on:

1 - HomeSeer Z-Wave Plug-in - Homeseer 3 provided and always updated for all ZWave devices
        2 - HomeSeer Zigbee Plug-in - Homeseer 3 provided plugin that works with an Internet connected Zigbee hub - there is also a 3rd party Zigbee plugin.
        3 - HomeSeer Insteon Plug-in - Originally provided by Homeseer - not sure if it is updated these days - Mark Sandler (aka mnsandler) supports Insteon plugin via a paid plugin.
        4 - HomeSeer X10 Plug-in - taken over by Mark Fisher and working well.
        5 - HomeSeer UPB Plug-In (Beta) - Originally provided by HST - not updated and today managed by Spud's 3rd party paid plugin and working well.
        Last edited by Pete; October 28, 2017, 07:09 AM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

The switch from HS2 to HS3 is indeed a major change. It took me over a year to fully switch, and after two years I'm beginning to feel fairly comfortable with the changes.

One thing to consider is running HS2 and HS3 simultaneously, at least for a while. I did that, and found that it made the switch much less stressful, although it did slow it down. (The pace was largely my choice, but running both together makes it easier to go slowly, and more difficult to go faster.)

As Pete repeatedly reminds us, going slowly (baby steps) offers big advantages for both success and sanity. Remember, too, that this community is without comparison in the amount of support you can get, so you can be confident that you won't be on your own.

Another option, of course, is to simply revert to HS2. If it was doing what you want, and the HS3 hill looks like more effort than it's worth, why not? HA should be fun - a challenge perhaps, but not torture.
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Thanks all

I want to thank you all for the replys. Now that I got some sleep I'm back at it.I agree HS is the best home automation software Out there And I'll take you all's advice And do this slowly. i To do enjoy Working on this (Most of the time) Just a great hobby And I can do lots of stuff. Never thought about put it on A different platform. I'm been IT For 40 years now And I still love this stuff.I am definitely going to need You all support on this one. And just for the Question asked, I didn't start From scratch. Even reloaded Windows And Doing A format Just to be sure No bad files We're left behind. So thanks again everyone I'm sure I'll be speaking with you all later

Comment

Working...
            X