X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permanently powered tablets losing connection - solution

Hi,

Not sure if this has been posted already but I found some previous threads where where people were trying to have some permanently powered Android tablets as HStouch around their house. Unfortunately even with the "Stay Connected" checkbox enabled, if the tablet ever went into screen off/standby the HStouch client would disconnect after an hour or so, making it slow to get started once re-activated.

I've just been trying to find a solution with this on my HomeSeer setup, and I'm pretty sure I have it working now:

1) Maintain a wake lock, specifically "PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK". This allows the screen to turn off, but the CPU and WiFi remain active. There are of course battery use implications but for permanently powered tablets this is fine.
    Now, HomeSeer could implement this within their HSTouch app as an option. Until then, there is a free app on the play store called Wake Lock - Power Manager that works great for me.

2) Make sure your WiFi stays connected. One of my tablets (new Kogan Agora) is fine, but the other (Telstra T-Touch) would lose WiFi connection overnight. So far the free app Wifi Fixer has done the job for me for the last couple of days, will see how it goes.

Nice find. I'm using the Wake Lock - Power Manager on my tablets. Homeseer now stays connected when screen goes off. Works great!
    Bryan
    Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
    Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

Comment

Thank You!

I was already shopping for some other solution to replace my Android tablet. Can't wait to give this a try.

Comment

I would suggest to look into tasker and few other plugin that work with it, like autoremote and wi-fi keep live. I have posted few topics on this issue. I have my droid using both apps to auto start HSTouch, and shut the screen down when it is done.

Aldo

Comment

Just an update - this has all been working great for a few months now.

I've gone one step further on my bedroom tablet and used an app that disables the lock screen. Even when the display turns off now all I have to to is tap the touchscreen to wake it up and start using homeseer. Perfect!

Comment

That is awesome. What is the name of the app to bypass screen locks?
            Transitioning to HS3Pro .298 - WinXPEmbedded

Hometroller S3 Pro - WinXPEmbedded - HSP 2.5.0.81 - BLStat - HSPhone - HSTouch Srvr 1.0.0.73 - Touchpad - BLLan - BLOccupied - DSC Plug 2.0.0.14 - BLStat .38

Comment

Axis,
              What app or combination of are you using to be able to just touch the screen to wake it up. I do this with my IOS devices but I have not been able to do this with Android.
              Thanx,
              John

Comment

Pretty sure I use a combination of: Wake Lock, Wifi Fixer and No Lock

I dont think this works on all of my devices yet but I havent experimented much further.

Comment

Working...
                X