www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Analog & Digital IO Device Plug-ins > Analog & Digital IO Discussion > Arduino Plugin (3P)

Arduino Plugin (3P) Discussions related to the Arduion plugin for HS3 by enigmatheatre

Old August 12th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Super Seer

Arduino Plugin V1.0.0.36.

This thread is to discuss the Arduino Plugin V1.0.0.36 that is in the updater.
Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
Scripts =
Various
Old January 23rd, 2015, 08:40 PM
OverSeer

Hi Greig,

I'm finally playing with this plugin and have a Mega connected with USB and a Uno over Ethernet. Both were easy to add. Thanks for making the plugin available!

Since I installed and enabled the plugin (1.0.0.36) , I see the occasional message like this in the HS Log:

Code:
Jan-23 5:23:12 PM	 	Info	25040 log entries retrieved, and this just added another!
I'm assuming it's this plugin that's doing it as I haven't seen messages like this before? Perhaps some code leftover from testing?

Also, I prefer to use DHCP to assign static addresses to all my "infrastructure" devices. Is there a way to modify the ino file to retrieve the ip address via DHCP?

Thanks
Al
UltraGCIR GC-100|UltraNetcam|UltraPioneer|Ultra1Wire|DSC PC1832|BLLED|BLTVGuide|ImperiHome|jon00 Utilities|MySensors

PHLocation|X10 CM11A IOLinc,etc
Old January 23rd, 2015, 10:36 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkman View Post
Also, I prefer to use DHCP to assign static addresses to all my "infrastructure" devices. Is there a way to modify the ino file to retrieve the ip address via DHCP?

Thanks
Al
Not to presume to answer for Greig, but you would still have to hard code the IP address into the plug-in, so I'm not sure it would be of any real advantage. I also use DHCP reservations for all of my devices -except- the Arduinos and my EDS OWServers.

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino
Old January 23rd, 2015, 11:43 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprade View Post
Not to presume to answer for Greig, but you would still have to hard code the IP address into the plug-in, so I'm not sure it would be of any real advantage. I also use DHCP reservations for all of my devices -except- the Arduinos and my EDS OWServers.
The advantages to me would be the ability to change them remotely (on the DHCP server and then the plugin page) and to keep track of all of my ip addresses in one spot (the DHCP server).

Cheers
Al
Old January 24th, 2015, 08:29 AM
Super Seer

Quote:
The advantages to me would be the ability to change them remotely (on the DHCP server and then the plugin page) and to keep track of all of my ip addresses in one spot (the DHCP server).

Cheers
Al
I am not sure this would work as you would need the board to report the IP to HS which it is not doing at the moment. Can I ask why you would change the address once it is set?

Can you not Reserve the IP in the DHCP table for the Arduinos?

Greig.
Old January 24th, 2015, 09:21 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatheatre View Post
I am not sure this would work as you would need the board to report the IP to HS which it is not doing at the moment. Can I ask why you would change the address once it is set?

Can you not Reserve the IP in the DHCP table for the Arduinos?

Greig.
Hi Greig, yes, the reservation is already set as I was playing with the Ethernet/ip functions prior to adding it to your plugin. Possible reason for changing it later is that I'm running out of ip addresses in the blocks I had set aside for certain types of devices and will need to redo my scheme at some point. I will also likely create a separate subnet for my HA network at some point. Having it reserved in DHCP but hard coded on the device will likely mess me up a few years from now when I attempt to change it . I used to be responsible for a 5000+ device network and our biggest issue was caused by hard-coded ip addresses conflicting with other devices so now I am anal about only using DHCP to assign ip addresses (reservations/static and dynamic). The board would not need to report it to the plugin.

Cheers
Al

PS did you see my note about the log entry in my original post? Is it caused by the plugin?
Old January 24th, 2015, 10:07 AM
Super Seer

Quote:
PS did you see my note about the log entry in my original post? Is it caused by the plugin?
Yes this is a leftover that was removed in the betas. I am hoping to get the beta in to the updater soon as I have a couple of people testing it for me.

Greig.
Old January 24th, 2015, 03:00 PM
Seer Deluxe

has anyone used analog inputs A2, A3, A4, A5 as digital inputs? i have an uno connected via Ethernet but when i assign them as standard inputs i can't get them to change but if i assign them as analog inputs they work fine? I then map the value with "Value*2/1023" so it will show 0 or 1.xxx but i am just wondering if i should try something else or if you can't use the analog inputs as standard inputs without using the API mode
Old January 24th, 2015, 03:25 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by usLEDsupply View Post
has anyone used analog inputs A2, A3, A4, A5 as digital inputs? i have an uno connected via Ethernet but when i assign them as standard inputs i can't get them to change but if i assign them as analog inputs they work fine? I then map the value with "Value*2/1023" so it will show 0 or 1.xxx but i am just wondering if i should try something else or if you can't use the analog inputs as standard inputs without using the API mode
Do not set them as Analog pins in the plugin. Set them as inputs and use pins 25 - 28 if you are using an Uno.
25 = A2
26 = A3
27 = A4
28 = A5

I hope this helps you.

Greig.
Old January 24th, 2015, 03:37 PM
Seer Deluxe

Thanks:-) i wondered if it might be something like that but i figured you would have had it setup to do that automatically if an analog pin was set to an digital input as i didn't see anything in the manual about having to use the higher pin numbers for the analog inputs
Old January 24th, 2015, 03:39 PM
Seer Deluxe

is it the same if you want to use an analog pin for a servo or onewire or is it just for the inputs?
Old January 24th, 2015, 04:52 PM
Seer Deluxe

With the UNO R3 i had to use the following pins to use the analog pins as digital inputs
A0 = 14 (not usable as isn't in the pin list)
A1 = 15 (as long as you have a newer Ethernet Shield)
A2 = 16
A3 = 17
A4 = 18
A5 = 19
Old January 24th, 2015, 04:54 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by usLEDsupply View Post
With the UNO R3 i had to use the following pins to use the analog pins as digital inputs
A0 = 14 (not usable as isn't in the pin list)
A1 = 15 (as long as you have a newer Ethernet Shield)
A2 = 16
A3 = 17
A4 = 18
A5 = 19
Glad it is working for you and yes it will depend on the board. Sorry if I gave you the wrong pins.
I am looking at a way to make it work by selecting the A0-A15.

Greig.
Old January 24th, 2015, 05:01 PM
Seer Deluxe

I think you could map A0 to 14 and so on but i think you would need a way to select the board you are using in the setup (mega or uno) so you don't loose use of those pins if it is a mega

Last edited by usLEDsupply; January 25th, 2015 at 03:06 AM.
Old January 27th, 2015, 07:59 PM
Seer Deluxe

Arduino 1.0.6

Hej Greg,
What verision of Arduino Sketch program is supported and recormened for MEGA Arduino boards? 1.0.6 ?
Old January 27th, 2015, 09:12 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob.Sand View Post
Hej Greg,
What verision of Arduino Sketch program is supported and recormened for MEGA Arduino boards? 1.0.6 ?
Per Greig: "Ethernet will not work with the 1.0.6 version of the Arduino ide. Can you download V 1.5.6-R2 and update the library's with the ones on the config page". That version works fine with my Mega 2560r3 boards. It also works fine with the UNO boards. I have also had much more reliable connectivity with genuine Arduino Ethernet shields than the Wiznet clones.
Old January 30th, 2015, 07:56 PM
Seer Deluxe

Hi Greig

I am new to Arduino and got it working with an Ethernet Shield. Nice plug in thank you.

I want to setup a second board. I have a mega 2560 with a wifi shield. Do you have a sketch written for a wifi shield to replace the Ethernet sketch you could share with me?

Thanks

Will
Old January 31st, 2015, 06:35 AM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by will40 View Post
Hi Greig

I want to setup a second board. I have a mega 2560 with a wifi shield. Do you have a sketch written for a wifi shield to replace the Ethernet sketch you could share with me?

Thanks

Will
Hi Will,
Sorry but I do not have a WiFi shield as when I looked at them I found them to be very expensive for what they did. I have it on my list of thing to do to get some kind of wireless device working with this.
I know there are users using the Ethernet shield and a WiFi games adaptor that works but I seem to remember them saying that the connection drops out every now and then.

Greig.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old June 19th, 2015, 06:19 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatheatre View Post
Hi Will,
Sorry but I do not have a WiFi shield as when I looked at them I found them to be very expensive for what they did. I have it on my list of thing to do to get some kind of wireless device working with this.
I know there are users using the Ethernet shield and a WiFi games adaptor that works but I seem to remember them saying that the connection drops out every now and then.

Greig.

Hello Greig

Have you given any more thought to the wireless shield? I would be willing to mail you a wifi shield to help with your development.

Will
Old June 19th, 2015, 06:25 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by will40 View Post
Hello Greig

Have you given any more thought to the wireless shield? I would be willing to mail you a wifi shield to help with your development.

Will
This is higher up the list of things to do but not at the top. I have a list of things to order and it is on there. I also have a beta tester who has helped modify my code to work with the WiFi shield but there would be a lot of code changes and I am running out of space on the boards with all the libraries and I have to pick what is best for all. I am looking in to other wireless solutions to but again this will take some time to do.

Greig.