www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Analog & Digital IO Device Plug-ins > Analog & Digital IO Discussion > Arduino Plugin (3P)

Arduino Plugin (3P) Discussions related to the Arduion plugin for HS3 by enigmatheatre

Old March 6th, 2015, 12:24 PM
Seer Deluxe

Add Device string function to API mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatheatre View Post
Please add any new feature requests to this thread and I will do my best to add them at some point in the future but please don't ask when as the list is very big already.

Greig.
Adding device string API mode would add significant functionality to the plug-in. Then the ardiuno code can return either the present long value, or a string value. Would then be easy to set the device string in the device to something like "5.00v", "Auto", "72.5F", "Cloudy", "Rain", etc.
Old March 8th, 2015, 02:41 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbell View Post
Do these have electrically isolated tabs?
Sorry, I missed this post when you made it. Like most TO-220 packages, the tab is either the Collector or in the case of a MOSFET, the Drain.

Since the Drain is the return path for the LED "-" or GND side, the heatsink would be at approximately 12V, but current limited by the LEDs attached and that is floating, having no reference to earth ground. Since the 12V is supplied by a switch-mode power supply, it is completely isolated from the house current. I see no harm of electrical shock, no reason to be concerned that the heat sink is at that potential. If you wanted to, the tab could be insulated from the heat sink, but that was not of any concern in my application (in my opinion).

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino
Old March 8th, 2015, 03:15 PM
Seer Deluxe

You are correct, however....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprade View Post
Sorry, I missed this post when you made it. Like most TO-220 packages, the tab is either the Collector or in the case of a MOSFET, the Drain.

Since the Drain is the return path for the LED "-" or GND side, the heatsink would be at approximately 12V, but current limited by the LEDs attached and that is floating, having no reference to earth ground. Since the 12V is supplied by a switch-mode power supply, it is completely isolated from the house current. I see no harm of electrical shock, no reason to be concerned that the heat sink is at that potential. If you wanted to, the tab could be insulated from the heat sink, but that was not of any concern in my application (in my opinion).
There are many power transistors now available with completely isolated tabs. That is to say that the mounting tab has no connection to any of the 3 pins in the device. This is ideal, especially for experimenters. You don't have to "float" the heatsink with insulators, which was a real pain on some projects. Attached is an example datasheet with an isolated tab power mosfet. This is not the one in question, but I found this with a quick google search. If I were looking for one to do a project, I would not choose the 200v part.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Example.pdf (52.2 KB, 37 views)
Old March 8th, 2015, 03:51 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbell View Post
There are many power transistors now available with completely isolated tabs. That is to say that the mounting tab has no connection to any of the 3 pins in the device. This is ideal, especially for experimenters. You don't have to "float" the heatsink with insulators, which was a real pain on some projects. Attached is an example datasheet with an isolated tab power mosfet. This is not the one in question, but I found this with a quick google search. If I were looking for one to do a project, I would not choose the 200v part.
Agreed. That is why I said "most T0-220 packages". I was aware that there are many using isolated mounting tabs. If I was going to purchase one for a project, that would certainly be a consideration. The reason I used the devices I did was expediency, they were in my parts bin. I bought a lot of 50 for $5 a year or two ago when a parts house was going out of business. I also know that device performs very well in high current PWM applications, because I have built quite a few using it. For low voltage applications, having the Drain of an N-Channel exposed is of little concern, unless you mount several to a common heatsink.
Old March 15th, 2015, 10:30 AM
Seer

Addressing

Please consider changing your addressing scheme. In most of HomeSeer a comma"," is a field separator. Most other addins or systems use a "-' dash in their addressing. Even ":" can cause some issues.

Jon00's stuff, Z-Wave stuff, Homeseer's stuff all use dash "-" not comma "," or Colon ":" when you scripting or even eventing the commas and colons in your address scheme cause real issues.

TIA

Ta Da
Brad
Old April 26th, 2015, 08:04 AM
Seer Plus

Support of chipkit max32 board

Hello Greig,

I have a chipkit max32 board and would like to connect this board to HS3.
The latest rev http://www.chipkit.net/started is here.
I tested this version but its sees not to connect to hs3.

The newer do not support chipkit 32-bit boards.
Is it possible to use this board?

Regards piever. Netherland
Old April 28th, 2015, 11:39 AM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by piever View Post
Hello Greig,

I have a chipkit max32 board and would like to connect this board to HS3.
The latest rev http://www.chipkit.net/started is here.
I tested this version but its sees not to connect to hs3.

The newer do not support chipkit 32-bit boards.
Is it possible to use this board?

Regards piever. Netherland
Emailed a reply.
Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
Scripts =
Various
Old May 9th, 2015, 07:32 AM
Seer

Update help file for pinouts

There are different configurations for the pinouts depending on USB, ethernet Mega or UNO. It's taken me some time find what is needed selecting inputs or outputs in the board setup to get it working depending on my set up analog or digital. It would be good reference to update the help file reflecting these differences. Great plugin always works as advertised, much to learn but satisfaction is guaranteed.
Old August 31st, 2015, 04:53 PM
Seer Deluxe

Error trapping on 1-wire temperature measurments

Hi Greig,

I've used Arduinos in the past to measure temperature on multiple one-wire sensors and I'm aware of the limitations of "bit banging" with a single output (as distinct from using a more sophisticated active pull-up).

As it is, I've got three temperature sensors on a cat 5 cable that's about 15 meters long and I've got it *almost* working perfectly. By that, I mean that I can measure temperatures every 6 minutes and only get about 1 or 2 measurements per day that show up as 9999999.

So, my question is: can these erroneous readings be trapped and handled sensibly somehow? I expect it could all be done in a script, but it seems more appropriate for it to be handled close to the sensor, such as in the plug-in. Perhaps this kind of reading could cause a warning to be written to the log, and the measurement re-tried?

Regards
Doug
Old August 31st, 2015, 05:48 PM
Seer

Hello.

Forse the long distance is necessary change the pull-up resistor. Put the 1 kohm resistor.

Inviato dal mio SM-G920F utilizzando Tapatalk
Old September 1st, 2015, 09:56 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihaium View Post
Hello.

Forse the long distance is necessary change the pull-up resistor. Put the 1 kohm resistor.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have already tried many different resistance values, including as low as 1k. I've also tried a small resistor in series with the data pin, which I've found helpful with one wire before.

I think the proper hardware solution is to use a "real" one-wire bus master with an active pull-up, but this is so close to working I think a simple software trap would do the trick.

regards
Doug
Old September 1st, 2015, 10:14 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcKnight View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I have already tried many different resistance values, including as low as 1k. I've also tried a small resistor in series with the data pin, which I've found helpful with one wire before.

I think the proper hardware solution is to use a "real" one-wire bus master with an active pull-up, but this is so close to working I think a simple software trap would do the trick.

regards
Doug
Give Greig some time. I'll bet he can figure out how to trap OneWire errors within the code.

FWIW I have 4 DS18B20 sensors on a Cat 5 cable of about the same length, with a 2.2K pull-up and haven't seen an error. This is on a test board. For my production temperature sensors I use EDS OWServers because they are so darn reliable.
Old September 1st, 2015, 10:20 AM
Super Seer

Doug what version are you running as there is code to trap bus errors in the beta. If you are running it then capture and send me a debug log so I can see what is going on.

Greig.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old September 1st, 2015, 01:17 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Doug what version are you running as there is code to trap bus errors in the beta. If you are running it then capture and send me a debug log so I can see what is going on.

Greig.

I'm using 1.0.0.85. If the 1.0.0.95 Beta is compatible with the 1.0.0.85 Arduino sketches I'll install it right now, otherwise I'll have to wait until I'm next home.

Doug
Old September 1st, 2015, 02:05 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
I'm using 1.0.0.85. If the 1.0.0.95 Beta is compatible with the 1.0.0.85 Arduino sketches I'll install it right now, otherwise I'll have to wait until I'm next home.

Doug
It *should* be just fine. The 1.0.0.95 version uses V1.0.0.84 sketches.
Old September 1st, 2015, 05:43 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:

Greig.

Debug log sent by email.
Regards
Doug
Old September 2nd, 2015, 05:47 AM
Super Seer

Quote:
Debug log sent by email.
Regards
Doug
Doug,

I will need to check the code when I get home but looking at the log I think my plugin is reporting an error for your devices. If you look at the rom device that has the temp in it is the status value for error not "9999999" and what you are seeing is Jon00's plugin logging this value. I will confirm this when I have more time and also see if there is a way to stop this.

Greig.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 09:13 AM
Seer

Hello Greig.
Today is happened the same error in the my system. Is 1 error to 3-4 hours. I have 1 DS18B20 (TO92 capsule ) with 8m CAT5 cable and 1 kohm resistor.

Old September 2nd, 2015, 03:09 PM
Super Seer

Doug,

I can confirm that the "9999999" is the error value of my plugin so this is being handled by my plugin is showing on the device as an error. The problem is that you are graphing the value so it records the "9999999".

Greig.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 03:24 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Doug,

I can confirm that the "9999999" is the error value of my plugin so this is being handled by my plugin is showing on the device as an error. The problem is that you are graphing the value so it records the "9999999".

Greig.

Hi Greig,
I'm a little confused by your reply. I think that's what I expected. The plug-in is detecting an error and so reports an unambiguously error-style of value. I think that behaviour makes sense.

What I'm wondering is if the plug-in could be enhanced to try again, if it detects an error condition like this.

For example, if it could be configured to "retry 3 times" on error, for example, then I think my system would work just fine. The errors are quite rare and are proving quite stubbornly difficult to track down and eliminate in hardware.

regards
Doug