www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Analog & Digital IO Device Plug-ins > Analog & Digital IO Discussion > Arduino Plugin (3P)

Arduino Plugin (3P) Discussions related to the Arduion plugin for HS3 by enigmatheatre

Old December 7th, 2016, 05:12 PM
Seer Deluxe

Posting this request in the official(?) feature requests - I'd like to get the number of variables associated with the API code increased from 48 to 64 please. I've recently run up against this limitation. My workaround is to pack/unpack digitals but it complicates things greatly.

Thanks!
Old December 7th, 2016, 05:55 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksdehoff View Post
Posting this request in the official(?) feature requests - I'd like to get the number of variables associated with the API code increased from 48 to 64 please. I've recently run up against this limitation. My workaround is to pack/unpack digitals but it complicates things greatly.

Thanks!
Yes this can be done but I can not give a time scale on this at the moment. I will add it to the list.

Greig
Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
Scripts =
Various
Old December 8th, 2016, 04:27 AM
Seer Deluxe

My electricity meter has an led that blinks based on usage and soon my water and gas meter will have too. I like to have a counter that runs on the arduino board that logs the number of pulses and can be read from HS. Opting fo a arduino based counter because I feel that monitoring a fast and ever changing input will put too much stress on HS.
Old January 1st, 2017, 10:00 PM
Seer Deluxe

Alias

I haven't seen this request in the regular discussion so I am posting it here. Is it possible to have aliases for the boards and pins. For instance, instead of "Board 1" I would like to name it "Outdoor Controller". Then instead of "Pin 2" I could use something like "Water Fountain". This would make things in HS much easier to understand, even more so if several Arduino boards are being used.
Old January 1st, 2017, 10:45 PM
Seer Deluxe

Never mind, I actually can rename them in HS.
Old March 27th, 2017, 06:50 PM
Seer Deluxe

Hi Greig, I'd like to request a way of moving devices around between boards.

For example. I might test a new input on pin 5 of board 1 which is my test board in my "lab". I might build events around it, and even scripts.

Then I want to move it to "production" which might be pin 6 on Board 9 for example.

Another example would be where I need to move pins around on an existing board.

It would be great to be able to click a "swap devices" button against pin 5 board 1 in the gui, and be presented with a dropdown of all the other enabled "input" pins across all arduinos. Select pin 6 on board 9, and it executes the swap.

Ideally then, the address references do not change so that any existing events or scripts continue to work, just with the new device.

The dropdown could contain all pins that have been enabled of the same type as the original. eg. all input pins, or all output pins, or all pwm pins etc.

I do this quite often with my xAP devices - there is a separate xAP database that maps the HS3 device to the xAP address, and by modifying the db directly I can move my xAP devices around without redoing the HS3 events.

Is this feasible?

Cheers.
Old March 27th, 2017, 07:31 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by apluck View Post
Hi Greig, I'd like to request a way of moving devices around between boards.

For example. I might test a new input on pin 5 of board 1 which is my test board in my "lab". I might build events around it, and even scripts.

Then I want to move it to "production" which might be pin 6 on Board 9 for example.

Another example would be where I need to move pins around on an existing board.

It would be great to be able to click a "swap devices" button against pin 5 board 1 in the gui, and be presented with a dropdown of all the other enabled "input" pins across all arduinos. Select pin 6 on board 9, and it executes the swap.

Ideally then, the address references do not change so that any existing events or scripts continue to work, just with the new device.

The dropdown could contain all pins that have been enabled of the same type as the original. eg. all input pins, or all output pins, or all pwm pins etc.

I do this quite often with my xAP devices - there is a separate xAP database that maps the HS3 device to the xAP address, and by modifying the db directly I can move my xAP devices around without redoing the HS3 events.

Is this feasible?

Cheers.
Al,

Yes this is feasible but would take a bit of work to put the checks in place as the device address is based on the type on IO on the pin so I would need to update this and also check that it is not in use on the new board. I will have a think about this and add it to the list of thinks to do.

Greig.
Old March 28th, 2017, 02:58 PM
Seer Deluxe

Thanks Greig - just thinking about 1 wire devices-they would need slightly different treatment...
Old April 5th, 2017, 03:17 AM
Seer Master

Upload scketch over ethernet

Hi Greig,

I have now a MEGA board functional with 8 relays and 10 inputs, with ethernet shield, and will now place it in the closet where all the cables of the house are going to, and start connecting everything.

At this point I realize that if you publish a new sketch, I will have to use a portable PC with USB and Arduino software to upload it.
I particularly appreciated your automatic construction and upload of sketch directly from the plugin config page, so it would be great to have also a direct upload through ethernet system for IP connected cards.
(As I read this could be done using tftp )

Thanks
Pierre
Old April 7th, 2017, 06:47 PM
Seer Master

My projects are based on the nodeMCU board. Greig, I'm very thankful for the effort to make it work under the plugin.

As I work on this, a couple of requests come to mind:

1. Support for some kind of temp sensor. I like either DHT22 or 18B20 (requires OneWire). DHT11 is not accurate enough.

2. Support for the A0 pin. I have a CO sensor that needs it.

Thanks for you consideration.

Robert
Old April 8th, 2017, 05:17 AM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by logbuilder View Post
My projects are based on the nodeMCU board. Greig, I'm very thankful for the effort to make it work under the plugin.

As I work on this, a couple of requests come to mind:

1. Support for some kind of temp sensor. I like either DHT22 or 18B20 (requires OneWire). DHT11 is not accurate enough.

2. Support for the A0 pin. I have a CO sensor that needs it.

Thanks for you consideration.

Robert
Yes one wire support will be added when I find a fix for a bug in it and get some more free time. I will try and add the API mode to the nodemcu first so any sensor can be used.

Greig.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Old April 9th, 2017, 06:06 PM
Seer Master

Just moved my first Arduino from the bench to its new home in my detached garage. It is probably 200 feet away. It is running a nodeMCU and using wifi. Power is AC supplied, no battery.

I took my phone with me and using a wifi analyzer, I saw I was getting about 30% signal strength but was fluxuating +-5%. Placed the new node and came back inside to see that yes, it had connected to HS3.

Got me to thinking though, it sure would be nice if the plugin could report the wifi signal strength for each nodeMCU. Maybe update a device once per minute with the percentage or dBm. I see in wifi.h that there is a function that returns the signal strength in dBm. Don't know if you use that lib or not.

Just a thought.
Old April 9th, 2017, 07:52 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by logbuilder View Post
Just moved my first Arduino from the bench to its new home in my detached garage. It is probably 200 feet away. It is running a nodeMCU and using wifi. Power is AC supplied, no battery.

I took my phone with me and using a wifi analyzer, I saw I was getting about 30% signal strength but was fluxuating +-5%. Placed the new node and came back inside to see that yes, it had connected to HS3.

Got me to thinking though, it sure would be nice if the plugin could report the wifi signal strength for each nodeMCU. Maybe update a device once per minute with the percentage or dBm. I see in wifi.h that there is a function that returns the signal strength in dBm. Don't know if you use that lib or not.

Just a thought.
You could probably code that value into the API code when its released and update a device with the latest value....
Old April 9th, 2017, 08:29 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by petez69 View Post
You could probably code that value into the API code when its released and update a device with the latest value....
Thanks. Might have to go that route as I have other ideas that may require the API sketch.
Old April 15th, 2017, 09:32 AM
OverSeer

Where is the NodeMCU download and what rev of the plugin needs to be installed? Thank you!

~Bill
Old April 15th, 2017, 10:50 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Brower View Post
Where is the NodeMCU download and what rev of the plugin needs to be installed? Thank you!
Go with 1.0.0.139 in the beta section. Follow the instructions in the help file installed with the plug-in for configuration, libraries download, IDE version and for the new sketches. The NodeMCU is only supported with an Arduino sketch, there is not an API sketch at this time. Inputs, outputs, alive pin and LCD are supported. There is no OneWire, analog, PWM or servo support for the NodeMCU. Greig is planning on adding OneWire and analog pin support as he has time.

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Last edited by rprade; April 15th, 2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old April 15th, 2017, 12:43 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprade View Post
Go with 1.0.0.139 in the beta section. Follow the instructions in the help file installed with the plug-in for configuration, libraries download, IDE version and for the new sketches. The NodeMCU is only supported with an Arduino sketch, there is not an API sketch at this time. Inputs, outputs, alive pin and LCD are supported. There is no OneWire, analog, PWM or servo support for the NodeMCU. Gregg is planning on adding OneWire and analog pin support as he has time.
Appreciate that. I have ESP8266s scattered around the house but would rather just integrate it with the plugin. Thanks!
Old April 15th, 2017, 12:59 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Brower View Post
Appreciate that. I have ESP8266s scattered around the house but would rather just integrate it with the plugin. Thanks!
I am not running any in production, but I ran 5 NodeMCU boards in continuous testing for over a month as Greig was adding support. They were very reliable connecting and staying connected. My testing was to turn on an output that was connected to an input. Then I would make sure the input changed and log an error if it failed. This took place once every 3 minutes for all 5 boards and there were only a handful of failures over the 30+ days.
Old April 16th, 2017, 01:26 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprade View Post
I am not running any in production, but I ran 5 NodeMCU boards in continuous testing for over a month as Greig was adding support. They were very reliable connecting and staying connected. My testing was to turn on an output that was connected to an input. Then I would make sure the input changed and log an error if it failed. This took place once every 3 minutes for all 5 boards and there were only a handful of failures over the 30+ days.
hi Randy

I modified some old API code for the NodeMCU board a while ago. I used to have fairly regular disconnects hence why I went for the "blue cable". I'm just setting up the "Electronics Den" after moving and I'll get a NodeMCU board going again to test. I've got 3 Megas scattered around the place so I'm not short of I/O ;-)
Old April 18th, 2017, 06:19 AM
Seer Master

Serial reading pin

Hi,

I wish I could have my HS-connected Arduino
- connect on a serial com on one pin
- and transmit the message in a HS device or by any way I could parse it with scripting.

The plugin is going really great!
So far I have transferred 10 inputs, 8 relay inputs and 14 1-wire temperature probes , from out-of-date hardware and software to a simple Mega Arduino and the plugin.
Scripting and event changes where very easy to manage.
Only disappointed with the input long delay.
Transferring the serial messages from my electrical counter directly through Arduino to HS via the plugin will help me get rid of my very-old Quatech serial-to-ethernet box, and many cables.

Thanks
Pierre