Hard wire aeotec multi sensors...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're starting new construction, and I plan to install 8 or so aeotec multi sensors. My plan is to put the wiring in wall.

They run on 5v USB (http://aeotec.com/z-wave-sensor/1688...fications.html) or 2 cr123a batteries. My question is what type of wiring/power supply would it take to run them?

Could i daisy chain them, or plan to home run each one?

Any thoughts/advice appreciated!

I'd probably use CAT5e or 6 and home run each one. That way you could reuse for something else down the road (cameras,etc.)

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

They are z-wave so all you are doing is powering them. If you are not using the batteries, you get the enhanced mode with allows for real time updates. A USB wall charger should do it. There are also many options for outlets that have 5V USB or wall switches with USB. Which option you choose is probably more of a matter of aesthetics and the look you want.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
        I'd probably use CAT5e or 6 and home run each one. That way you could reuse for something else down the road (cameras,etc.)

Interesting concept, I like your idea, how would you connect the 5v to the USB using cat5. I have one of those on battery and it is useless right now, constantly changing battery.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by aldo View Post
          Interesting concept, I like your idea, how would you connect the 5v to the USB using cat5. I have one of those on battery and it is useless right now, constantly changing battery.

At the central location, I'd use a terminal strip connected to a good 5V supply. At the sensor end, I'd either solder on the end of the Aeotec USB cable and heat shrink it or figure out some other way to join them. Voltage drop would need to be considered, so if the runs are long, you may need to use a power supply with a higher voltage in order to compensate and you could use multiple conductors as well to reduce resistance.

Last edited by sparkman; May 23, 2017, 07:52 AM.
          HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

https://www.winford.com/products/brkua1f.php

https://www.winford.com/products/brkub1f.php

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12035

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12700

https://www.google.com/search?q=usb+...+to+RJ45+balun

Any of the above and a powered USB hub at the central location.

Comment

Also,

http://www.markertek.com/product/72-...GRchoChdzw_wcB

Comment

Thank you!

That seems like a great way to go. I've got about 30 Cat7 home runs in the plan already, a few more won't hurt anything, and I like the idea of possible re-use in the future!

Thanks!

K

Comment

Thanks, great input, always so nice to see so many great ideas.

Comment

Just saw This on Reddit
                    DSteiNeuro

HS3Pro

MSI Cubi Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 16GB DDRl RAM

Enabled Plug-Ins
                    BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, JowiHue, MyQ, Nest, Rain8, Squeezebox, Ultra1Wire3, UltraGCIR3, Vista Alarm, X10,Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by DSteiNeuro View Post
                      Just saw This on Reddit
                      What sub is that on?

Comment

Network cabling for powering Aeotec Multisensors

Originally posted by aldo View Post

It is a great idea to put network cable everywhere and use it to power sensors, especially since it can be used for other purposes such as carrying network feeds for cameras and to carry other types of audio / video traffic as and when the need arises.

A few months ago we refurbished the 1st floor in our old house, prior to the builders arriving I ran 3 wires of weatherproof Cat5e to each room, without quite knowing what it would be used for. The cables all terminate in a single cupboard. (see pic)

The weatherproof cable seems more hardy and much of it runs around the outside of the house, elevated in external trunking containing 12 wires.

There are 4 Aeotec Multisensors, 3 of them recessed into ceilings. Once a Cat5e cable is inside a room, it is relatively easy, if not a little time consuming, to feed it up a wall above a ceiling. If does help if the walls are being redecorated so its more convenient to dig a small channel for trunking, to be filled over before painting.

The Multisensors are powered by a standard powered USB hub in the cupboard, connected with 'USB over Cat5e' connectors, it is fine even transmitting power over a 30m run of Cat5e cable. The 4 sensors for the 1st floor ceilings are all plugged into the same powered hub. Its a 10 port hub but only 4 max work simultaneously, so a 4 port hub per 4 sensors is ideal.

Echo Dots are also USB powered over the Cat5e cable, but need more power to work than the sensors, so are powered by a POE Network switch. the power is pulled off either using a 5v POE Usb connector, for a single device, or to power a 12v USB hub local in the room. This is what I did in the bathroom so that a USB z-wave switch (still to be purchased) can be placed in there, together with the Echo, and er.. a USB powered toothbrush

On a related note, audio from the Echo is fed back to the central cupboard over a Cat5e cable to an amp, and back into a ceiling speaker. The Amp is controlled either by telling Echo to 'turn on the speaker', or by switching a bathroom light on. If its left on it will switch off by itself. And the humidity readings are connected to the fan so turns on when someone has a shower.

If you are thinking of installing recessed sensors, certainly consider network cable for power, and don't rely on batteries.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Duomi8; June 4, 2017, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by prsmith777 View Post
                          What sub is that on?
                          Here is the Reditt thread
                          DSteiNeuro

HS3Pro

MSI Cubi Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 16GB DDRl RAM

Enabled Plug-Ins
                          BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, JowiHue, MyQ, Nest, Rain8, Squeezebox, Ultra1Wire3, UltraGCIR3, Vista Alarm, X10,Z-Wave

Comment

Working...
                          X