Should I? Windows 8 VM to Raspberry Pi3? - 1200 devices, 175 events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I? Windows 8 VM to Raspberry Pi3? - 1200 devices, 175 events

I've been running HS3 in a Win8.1 kVM under UnRaid for several years. I'm starting to get some issues with the vm, so considering creating a new one and migrating. I'd prefer to run under Linux and reduce the number of Windows instances I have. I have not seen a Docker HS3 yet, so it would probably be a full Ubuntu vm.

I'm also considering whether to go to dedicated hardware.

The main plugins I use say they are Linux compatible.

Arduino
    RFXCOM
    BLRadar
    BLLan
    mcsXap
    izTexecom
    Device History

I am not really using Zwave yet, but I do plan to.

640 of the 1200 devices are izTexecom from the alarm system - I am only using about 100 of these.

I do use device history, and that seems to be slow when generating charts.

Am I expecting too much from the Pi3 to run this HS3? Will the writes kill the SD card?

If so, what about some of the Pi3 alternatives such as Asus Tinker, Beaglebone etc.?

Alternatively maybe I go normal Intel mini-itx like a NUC or a Gigabyte BRIX. These are expensive though, and I already have a full UnRaid server available.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Device History would give me concern if its already slow for you, but everything else seems to be ok and the size of your system isn't too big. I think people over think the SD issue and make it bigger than it really is. Yes memory has a set number of writes before it fails, but if you do backups on a regular bases, you are covered if something happened, and I think the risk would be low. I have a couple Pi's in automation roles of sorts and they have been running for almost 3 years completely untouched, just chugging along.

Comment

Here have settled on a 16Gb micro SD card.

Migrated and tested moving from an RPi2 to a Pine64 2Gb Arm based computer.

The Pine64 2Gb machine running with Homeseer Lite (Zee OS) on Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit.

Concurrently testing Homeseer Lite (Zee OS) on an AMD micro cube PC called Xi5a which is a dual core AMD CPU / 2Gb of RAM with a 32Gb SSD drive running Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit.

Homeseer Pro is running on a LAMP server iSeries computer with 16Gb of RAM and doing 64 bit Ubuntu 16.04.

Here utilizing the Homeseer Omni Plugin to my Leviton Omni Panel with 48 zones. Homeseer utilizes the panel stuff (X10, UPB, Zigbee and ZWave).

Its really up to you relating to what you want to utilize relating to the Linux box. Homeseer 3 is lite. Most if not all of the utilization relates to the number of events you are running rather than the number of variables that you use.

Leviton Omni alarm panel is connected to the HS3 Lite (Zee) box and it doesn't really push any CPU / Memory limits.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
        Here have settled on a 16Gb micro SD card.
        Are the any micro SD cards with power failure protection? What about write endurance? Any way to retrieve SMART data on lifetime writes etc?

Comment

Are the any micro SD cards with power failure protection?

No.

What about write endurance?

Better than earlier generation of SD cards.

Any way to retrieve SMART data on lifetime writes etc?

Not sure that SMART data exists on SD cards.

SMART data was implemented with SCSI style drives originally.

SMART never attained the status of "standard" and its original documents have been withdrawn. Its catchy name lives on, especially on vendors' web sites and obviously in the name of this toolset. Luckily the good ideas in SMART have been incorporated into the ATA and SCSI standards albeit in slightly different forms.

Initially SMART began on SCSI disks as vendor specific extensions. Gradually the SMART functionality has moved into the standards (often by other names) and vendors are improving their standards' compliance. [In the vendors' defence some of the "standards" are drafts and are yet to be ratified.] Some SCSI disk vendors have product manuals (available on the net) that cover the parts of the SCSI command set that their disks support. Some of these manuals fill in details that are left deliberately vague in the the standards.

SCSI standards (found at www.t10.org) only make one footnote reference to the term SMART. In its place the awkward term "Informational Exceptions" is used. For SCSI tapes the term "TapeAlert" is used.

How to: monitor (micro) SD card health and status

Recently here had an issue with two Samsung 16Gb micro SD cards. The issue related to locking the card from writing to it. Easy fix was to copy the SD card to a working SD card. Samsung has a life time warranty on the MicroSD card and replaced the two cards via an RMA.

BTW here have had an RPi2 POE powered in the attic now for about 2 years. Winter temperatures going below zero for days and Summer temperatures going to 140 during the day. It still is running just fine these days.It is my ZWave controller.

First Zee used an regular sized SD card. I started to get read write errors with the card after 6 months. Next update to Zee which was the Zee 2 and newer Micro SD card has not had these issues. Here on the forum have recently only seen issues filling up an 8Gb card on the Zee-2 / RPi2/RP3 which in turn causes read write issues.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Comment

Working...
            X