"NETGEAR" Tech Support via Amazon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"NETGEAR" Tech Support via Amazon

"Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
    "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Just called Amazon yesterday to complain about prime deliveries not being timely any more.. CS talked in circles mentioning that they use two day service but cannot control it.

Relating to Comcast here have used them in an a la carte methodology always purchasing modem and using my own firewalls / WAP / voip box...
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

And $20 more a month despite record profits....i'm a Prime addict 😢

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
        Just called Amazon yesterday to complain about prime deliveries not being timely any more.. CS talked in circles mentioning that they use two day service but cannot control it.

Relating to Comcast here have used them in an a la carte methodology always purchasing modem and using my own firewalls / WAP / voip box...
        Pete:

What brand and model modem do you use? I have cable/telephone/internet from Comcast.
        Elliott
        "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023

Comment

Still utilizing the Motorola Surfboard SB6141 - Today they are called Arris Surfboard Modems. Thinking Comcast owns Arris today. You can purchase an Arris Modem today via Ebay or Amazon that will work with Comcast. Newer ones use multiple channels ....(? 16/8 or more now).

ARRIS Product Comparision

Get the plain jane modem with no built in Wireless, VOIP or switch.

Mine is only 8X4 channels and it works fine for me. Relating to Comcast broadband here have always purchased Motorola Modems (~ 15 years plus). I still utilize the original internet contract; never changed it although it is more expensive now a days.

Modem (plus a second WAN failover connection) go to a PFSense firewall to now 3 managed 24 port switches. The LAN side of PFSense uses 4-6 LAN connections which I utilize for tinkering. WAP side is a la carte using Ubiquiti AP's (since the beginning of Ubiquiti). VOIP is using Ooma and Google voice.

Here utilize copper, VOIP and one back up cellular line.

Television has always been a la carte and historically have used Comcast (not now), Direct TV (same contract from when it started) and DISH (to check it out a few years back) and today OTA / streaming TV. DTV is for wife and used to be Tivo until DTV made me switch to their DVR.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Still utilizing the Motorola Surfboard SB6141 - Today they are called Arris Surfboard Modems. ....
            Pete:

Thanks. Earlier today I received from Amazon the replacement Nighthawk. Too soon to know if my two problems (spontaneously rebooting and not recognizing the attached USB hard drive) are solved. One thing readily apparent is that this new device easily recognizes the attached USB hard drive. We'll see if that continues (the old one would recognize for a few days, then stop). I have moved to a new home, so my Comcast contract is new with this home. I had their modem for about 2 months, when I bought the NETGEAR, which looks absolutely identical to the rented modem from Comcast. The Comcast modem was not enabled to attach a USB drive, even though it had the ports for it. The reasons I bought my own modem were to have an attached hard drive and not to pay their rental fee (although only about $10/month).
            Elliott

Comment

Guessing you are aware that you can take your Comcast account with you when you move.

Here in the early 2000's just took my old modem and connected it to the existing cable in the new house and I was good to go. Only changed the billing / location address of the old account to the new house. Same for the DTV stuff (there was cable and a DTV antenna already connected to the house).

Relating to purchasing modem it was just something I always did with my Comcast account. Way long time ago Comcast would just sell DIY cable modems at Best Buy.

I have read that the NightHawk combo device is well built.

Yes here utilize NAS boxes for music, pictures, movies and files on the LAN.

The secondary WAN / Phone is using a combo Ericsson's modem AP with a T-Mobile SIM card. Do not utilize the AP on it. The WAN link goes to one wan port of two on the PFSense box and the phone line goes to the old phone patch panel (and it is backup to alarm phone stuff) which is connected to multiline Siemens and Panasonic phones.
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Comment

Guessing you are aware that you can take your Comcast account with you when you move.

Pete:
                  Thanks. Yes, indeed, I wish I could have done so. However, having moved to a new home, before selling my old home, I had to have the account active at the old home, while implementing things at my new home. I also moved to a different county and I could not even keep my old telephone number.

Elliott

Comment

Interesting, my review, which was not very complimentary, got posted.

Elliott

Comment

Originally posted by Richel View Post
                      Interesting, my review, which was not very complimentary, got posted.

Elliott
                      Did you ask for a refund? It was all very odd. They said the cost of (me) shipping the items back would be more expensive than just keeping the items with a 30% refund. I said no, that I wanted 80% refund with an RMA# to utilize their shipping act for return. That was denied, and I got labeled as a hostile buyer or something and 30% was refunded. I should ship a few to Pete so he can fiddle with them and figure out how to disable the multi-setting. Whaddya say pete?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes here have had to return a few things to Amazon. That said I did get a full refund the last few times. I also tried to write a couple of reviews and they were banned from posting due to my negative language. (just wrote that the product did not work as advertised and nothing really else).

New policy is that if it is dysfunctional then you get a full refund with a shipping label. If you do not want it then you play for shipping.

@Elliot...here took my phone numbers with me (copper and VOIP) when I moved.

It was the wrong area code and county but it didn't really much matter to me.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by tome10 View Post
                          Did you ask for a refund? ...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                          Replacement.

Comment

Working...
                          X