Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is everyone using to control internet radio sources?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, thanks for the quick replies. My real goal is to control Pandora and SirusXM through HSTouch. Sorry if I've hijacked this tread.

Barry

Comment

Originally posted by marco500 View Post
      Hello all,

I'm at a crossroads in deciding how to integrate internet radio into my HS3 environment. My goal is to be able to choose between x number of pre-determined internet radio stations via web interface or HSTouch, and have them output to my whole-house amp.

I am using the Monoprice 6-zone amp, and incredibly grateful and happy with happnatious1 for making it available to the community. If you are in the market for a multi-zone amp, with awesome HS3 integration, I suggest you look into this option. This part of the equation works great.

I'm stuck at finding a simple AND reliable means to play internet radio stations--preferably on a raspberry pi, and outputting the audio from the pi to the amp. I would like to have a virtual device populated with the currently playing song, obtained from the radio stream.

Please let me know what's been working for you, and how you use it in your home.

thanks

Marco
      I moved to the Sonos ecosystem last year and couldn't be happier. We went with Sonos clients in every room but even with a Russound, Monoprice or other audio distribution system, a Sonos connect makes a great streaming services client. You can use multiple Connects if you want to stream different sources to different rooms at the same time. We have Sirius, Pandora, Deezer, Amazon, etc., our own FLAC music library and other sources. Dirk's plug-in provides integration with HS and the Sonos controller for Android, iOS and Windows is excellent and extremely easy to configure.

While the cost of a Connect is much more than building a Squeezebox client on a Pi, I prefer the Sonos system overall.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
        Most of the users in this thread are using a Raspberry Pi as a Squeezebox client.
        I'm not sure "most" is accurate. Definitely some. I personally don't have any Pi based players and likely never will. My players include both official squeezebox ones (which are readily available on the used market for reasonable pricing) and software based ones (UPNP proxy and Android software running on HomeSeer WFTT07). There are tons of options including audiophile quality to really cheap/low quality. Our favorites are the official Squeezebox Radios which we use as alarm clocks. The alarm clocks are set automatically based on our schedule using the HS plugin and events, and there are buttons on them that are used to trigger HS events. You can find these for around $100 each and have surprisingly good sound for such a small box.

Cheers
        Al
        HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
        Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by lhfarm View Post
          OK, thanks for the quick replies. My real goal is to control Pandora and SirusXM through HSTouch. Sorry if I've hijacked this tread.

Barry
          Hi Barry, you can do Pandora through the LMS environment, but SiriusXM dropped support for LMS a couple of years ago.

Cheers
          Al
          HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
            I'm not sure "most" is accurate. Definitely some. I personally don't have any Pi based players and likely never will. My players include both official squeezebox ones (which are readily available on the used market for reasonable pricing) and software based ones (UPNP proxy and Android software running on HomeSeer WFTT07). There are tons of options including audiophile quality to really cheap/low quality. Our favorites are the official Squeezebox Radios which we use as alarm clocks. The alarm clocks are set automatically based on our schedule using the HS plugin and events, and there are buttons on them that are used to trigger HS events. You can find these for around $100 each and have surprisingly good sound for such a small box.

Cheers
            Al
            Thanks for correcting me. It was a misstatement, I should have said that most are using Squeezebox as a client.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
              Hi Barry, you can do Pandora through the LMS environment, but SiriusXM dropped support for LMS a couple of years ago.

Cheers
              Al
              The absence of SirusXM was a deal breaker for us. We have been XM subscribers since it was launched and both of us use it more than any other streaming service.

Comment

Sirius/XM works on Sonos, but you can only play one stream at a time...unless they changed something recently that I'm not aware of.

Comment

Yup; here never used the Sirus over the internet rather it's always been the one way push from satellite (automobiles and home). Well just like using DTV/OTA today here; it's only one way with no network connection as it was in the old days with no telephone connection.

Same goes here with a smart TV or Blue Ray player (never have connected these devices to the Internet). I tend to do an on demand thing with LMS and mostly use it for my personal music collection.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

A couple more things from me. I have XM in the cars and on the motorcycle, but not the internet for the house... I am thinking of dropping it anyways. I am getting sick of fighting each year to get the cost reasonable for AM quality sound when my renewal comes up. I have considered trying to do the streaming in the house, but just haven't had time to look into a solution.

Also if you are going to use a Pi for squeezebox, do yourself a favor and buy a USB DAC. The onboard audio plug on the pi sounds horrible. I purchased 2 from microcenter for about 15 bucks a piece and they work great. I did two because I have one pi running to squeezebox instances that are plugged into two different sources into my russound unit. This allows the wife to play something I don't like in the bathroom, while I play something i do like in the kitchen.

Comment

Originally posted by prsmith777 View Post
                      Sirius/XM works on Sonos, but you can only play one stream at a time...unless they changed something recently that I'm not aware of.
                      We can have different channels in different rooms. The most we've tried is three, but I just put a different station on 5 and it worked fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1038.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	1188856

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                        We can have different channels in different rooms. The most we've tried is three, but I just put a different station on 5 and it worked fine.

[ATTACH]59393[/ATTACH]
                        Last time I tried it, it will work fine for a while then cut off.

From their website: "Please Note: SiriusXM is limited to one simultaneous stream per account; however you can listen to a SiriusXM station in multiple rooms by grouping Sonos players together."

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answe...usxm-and-sonos

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                          A couple more things from me. I have XM in the cars and on the motorcycle, but not the internet for the house... I am thinking of dropping it anyways. I am getting sick of fighting each year to get the cost reasonable for AM quality sound when my renewal comes up. I have considered trying to do the streaming in the house, but just haven't had time to look into a solution.
                          We find ourselves using the streaming more than the satellite side, even in the cars that have XM. The streaming service on a phone allows you to start a program over, download many shows on demand, or pause it for a few minutes. While we like music at home, we both tend to lean toward news and talk when driving. When I am on long solo trips on the motorcycle, I almost exclusively listen to news and talk. We download podcasts to our music server to play them over Sonos if we desire.

I discontinued XM satellite on the Motorcycles. I imagine next summer my phone will be on a handlebar mount, now that it is water resistant. Since audio doesn't use a lot of data, it will be less costly to stream to the phone than to pay for a satellite sub.

Comment

Originally posted by prsmith777 View Post
                            Last time I tried it, it will work fine for a while then cut off.

From their website: "Please Note: SiriusXM is limited to one simultaneous stream per account; however you can listen to a SiriusXM station in multiple rooms by grouping Sonos players together."

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answe...usxm-and-sonos
                            We haven't had that problem, but our account allows for more than one device to stream, maybe Sirius considers each stream a separate device. We are supposed to be limited to two devices, but have not seen that limit imposed.

Comment

Old threat, but did you consider spotify in combination with squeezebox? Latest spotty plugin works as a charm with premium. Multiple streams possible. So far tested 5 different ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X