Wireless Motion Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless Motion Issue

I have a DSC panel with an Envisalink 3 interface and I am using the plugin listed at the bottom. I have both wired and wireless motion detection that I use for night light triggers. This worked great in Vera but I am having slow response on both wired and wireless and long delays between motion detection on the wireless. Below is a log sample, trimmed just to Kitchen, with the open time, even those I created continuous motion during the time See between 9:05 and 9:08:30. I did not have any delays with Vera and my security interface is picking up motion real-time (no gaps in motion detection) Are there internally defined settings for battery protection that I can't find? I have the detectors set to the most aggressive setting to avoid the delays.

May-16 9:08:35 PM EnvisaLink INFO Kitchen Motion status change: Closed
    May-16 9:08:30 PM Z-Wave Device: Light Kitchen Kitchen Light Set to 5
    May-16 9:08:30 PM EnvisaLink INFO Kitchen Motion status change: Opened
    May-16 9:05:37 PM Z-Wave Device: Light Kitchen Kitchen Light Set to 0
    May-16 9:05:14 PM EnvisaLink INFO Kitchen Motion status change: Closed
    May-16 9:05:09 PM Z-Wave Device: Light Kitchen Kitchen Light Set to 5
    May-16 9:05:09 PM EnvisaLink INFO Kitchen Motion status change: Opened
    May-16 9:00:18 PM Z-Wave Device: Light Kitchen Kitchen Light Set to 0

Current Date/Time: 5/16/2017 9:55:01 PM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.318
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Work Station
    System Uptime: 0 Days 15 Hours 16 Minutes 46 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.1.3
    Number of Devices: 112
    Number of Events: 43
    Available Threads: 200

Enabled Plug-Ins
    3.0.22.30668: Blue-Iris
    3.0.0.32: EasyTrigger
    3.0.0.33: EnvisaLink
    1.1.6.0: Honeywell WiFi Thermostat
    3.0.0.68: HSTouch Server
    3.0.1.1: IFTTT
    3.0.0.20: ImperiHome
    3.0.0.63: weatherXML
    3.0.1.87: Z-Wave

The plug-in just reads the messages sent by the EVL3 and triggers events accordingly, and it does it with almost no delay, so I don't see how it could be faster with Vera.
    Were you using the same DSC panel and the EnvisaLink board with Vera?

Are you sure the delay is on the EnvisaLink side and not on the ZWave side?

To check exactly how much delay there is between the time the sensor is tripped and the time the message from the EVL3 board is received you can set the log level to Debug, then enable the "Developer mode" (checkbox on the PLUG-INS > Manage page), then restart the EnvisaLink plug-in. You will get a console in which the logs appear in real-time.

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
      The plug-in just reads the messages sent by the EVL3 and triggers events accordingly, and it does it with almost no delay, so I don't see how it could be faster with Vera.
      Were you using the same DSC panel and the EnvisaLink board with Vera?

Are you sure the delay is on the EnvisaLink side and not on the ZWave side?

To check exactly how much delay there is between the time the sensor is tripped and the time the message from the EVL3 board is received you can set the log level to Debug, then enable the "Developer mode" (checkbox on the PLUG-INS > Manage page), then restart the EnvisaLink plug-in. You will get a console in which the logs appear in real-time.
      The log level is debug, I'll check the developer option tonight. To be clear, the wireless motion sensors are not zwave. They are DSC panel compatible wireless and they are set up as sensors in the panel, and set up as zones in the plugin. I'll attach a pic of the plugin zone config. I don't know the model off the top of my head but I can get it if needed.

I also notice that the wired motion sensors (Dining 10) have two LED indications. The first seems to light when detecting any motion at all and is an orange color. The second is a heavy red and I believe that is an indication that the motion was large enough to be considered something larger than a pet. The vera used to trigger lights on the orange, so the lights came on faster. The plugin seems to be triggered on the red, which may account for the slight delay even on the wired sensor.
      I wonder if the wireless has something similar, only the large motion trigger doesn't activate after a 2-3 minute delay.
      Attached Files

Comment

The DSC wireless motion sensor have 6 seconds delay between motion detection and reporting to the panel.

The is by design and not an adjustable delay. This was introduced many of years ago to reduce false motion triggers causing the panel to go into an alarm state.

The EVL will only report once the motion has been reported at the panel.

Comment

I would be OK with a 6 second delay at this point. Below is the results after setting the Developer Mode, EV Log Level to debug and performing several walks through three motion sensors. Dining (wired) kitchen and Back (both wireless) I walked equally through all three zones back and forth.

May-17 5:40:17 PM EnvisaLink INFO Dining Motion status change: Closed
          May-17 5:40:14 PM EnvisaLink INFO Partition 1 status change: Ready - Force Arming Enabled
          May-17 5:40:14 PM EnvisaLink INFO Dining Motion status change: Opened
          May-17 5:40:14 PM Event Event Trigger "Imperihome Test"
          May-17 5:40:04 PM EnvisaLink INFO Partition 1 status change: Ready
          May-17 5:40:04 PM EnvisaLink INFO Dining Motion status change: Closed
          May-17 5:40:01 PM EnvisaLink INFO Partition 1 status change: Ready - Force Arming Enabled
          May-17 5:40:01 PM EnvisaLink INFO Dining Motion status change: Opened
          May-17 5:40:01 PM Event Event Trigger "Imperihome Test"
          May-17 5:39:46 PM EnvisaLink INFO Partition 1 status change: Ready
          May-17 5:39:46 PM EnvisaLink INFO Dining Motion status change: Closed
          May-17 5:39:43 PM EnvisaLink INFO Partition 1 status change: Ready - Force Arming Enabled
          May-17 5:39:43 PM EnvisaLink INFO Dining Motion status change: Opened
          May-17 5:39:43 PM Event Event Trigger "Imperihome Test"
          May-17 5:39:35 PM EnvisaLink INFO Partition 1 status change: Ready
          May-17 5:39:35 PM EnvisaLink INFO Dining Motion status change: Closed
          May-17 5:39:32 PM EnvisaLink INFO Partition 1 status change: Ready - Force Arming Enabled
          May-17 5:39:32 PM EnvisaLink INFO Dining Motion status change: Opened
          May-17 5:39:32 PM Event Event Trigger "Imperihome Test"
          May-17 5:39:30 PM EnvisaLink INFO Partition 1 status change: Ready
          May-17 5:39:30 PM EnvisaLink INFO Dining Motion status change: Closed
          May-17 5:39:27 PM EnvisaLink INFO Partition 1 status change: Ready - Force Arming Enabled
          May-17 5:39:27 PM EnvisaLink INFO Dining Motion status change: Opened
          May-17 5:39:27 PM Event Event Trigger "Imperihome Test"
          May-17 5:39:20 PM EnvisaLink INFO Partition 1 status change: Ready
          May-17 5:39:20 PM EnvisaLink INFO Dining Motion status change: Closed
          May-17 5:39:17 PM EnvisaLink INFO Partition 1 status change: Ready - Force Arming Enabled
          May-17 5:39:17 PM EnvisaLink INFO Dining Motion status change: Opened
          May-17 5:39:17 PM Event Event Trigger "Imperihome Test"
          May-17 5:39:17 PM EnvisaLink INFO Partition 1 status change: Ready
          May-17 5:39:17 PM EnvisaLink INFO Back Motion status change: Closed
          May-17 5:39:14 PM EnvisaLink INFO Dining Motion status change: Closed
          May-17 5:39:12 PM EnvisaLink INFO Back Motion status change: Opened
          May-17 5:39:11 PM EnvisaLink INFO Partition 1 status change: Ready - Force Arming Enabled
          May-17 5:39:11 PM EnvisaLink INFO Dining Motion status change: Opened
          May-17 5:39:11 PM Event Event Trigger "Imperihome Test"
          May-17 5:39:08 PM EnvisaLink INFO Partition 1 status change: Ready
          May-17 5:39:08 PM EnvisaLink INFO Kitchen Motion status change: Closed
          May-17 5:39:02 PM EnvisaLink INFO Partition 1 status change: Ready - Force Arming Enabled
          May-17 5:39:02 PM EnvisaLink INFO Kitchen Motion status change: Opened
          May-17 5:39:00 PM EnvisaLink INFO Partition 1 status change: Ready
          May-17 5:39:00 PM EnvisaLink INFO Dining Motion status change: Closed
          May-17 5:38:58 PM EnvisaLink INFO Partition 1 status change: Ready - Force Arming Enabled
          May-17 5:38:58 PM EnvisaLink INFO Dining Motion status change: Opened
          May-17 5:38:58 PM Event Event Trigger "Imperihome Test"

Comment

It does not look like your log level is set to Debug...
            Please set it to Debug from the Config page (restart the plug-in if you still don't see any Debug message), then have someone trip the motion sensor, while you check the console, you should see some ZoneOpen messages when a sensor is tripped. What is the delay before this message appears?

Comment

I can try again tonight but I have some other info to add. The wireless sensors are DSC WS4904 and they have a High traffic shutdown mode. This means they will not send another Open for three minutes after an open is detected. This explains why I do not see opens for aprox three minutes after an open is detected so the delay is a product of this "feature" and the plugin using only opens for a trigger.

I also see the 6 second motion sensor delay in the documentation brientim spoke about. With Vera, and I know this isn't Vera, I believe they were able to detect a trigger, which is the first sign of motion before an open is sent.

I'll not ask to push this further. I also have Blue Iris cameras and I haven't worked on getting the motion detection functioning as a trigger yet. It could be that a combo of the motion sensors and the camera motion as a sensor will get things to where I would like them. I can also adjust night light on times so the gaps are not noticeable.

If I find anything more from the testing I will post it here so others can have this for a reference.

Comment

Wireless Motion Issue

The delay is nothing to do with Vera or Homeseer or the Alarm Panel, this all occurs in the Sensor before it reports. Therefore it is applicable to any home automation system and yes it is in Vera and I have documented in their forum as we developed and tested the DSC plugin for Vera.

Why it is critical consideration because this can stop reporting to the panel and placement of Sensors are important in area the you transient through as a person can walk a long way in 6 second and thus out of the Sensors range which means it may not ever report.

If you searched the Vera forum there are other wireless motion Sensors that can be used that do not have a delay but need an 3rd party device to convert to DSC protocols.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBoo View Post
                  I have a DSC panel with an Envisalink 3 interface and I am using the plugin listed at the bottom. I have both wired and wireless motion detection that I use for night light triggers. This worked great in Vera but I am having slow response on both wired and wireless and long delays between motion detection on the wireless.
                  I'm curious how this could have worked in Vera, since it is baked in to your DSC motion sensors. I use DSC wired PIRs with a PC1864 panel, Envisalink EVL4 and this plug-in. My response times are right at 1 second as shown in the results i posted in the second page of this thread.

Were you using the same hardware in Vera and getting different results?
                  HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by MrBoo View Post
                    With Vera, and I know this isn't Vera, I believe they were able to detect a trigger, which is the first sign of motion before an open is sent.
                    What trigger do you think it was detecting, since there is only one signal sent to the panel - motion or lack thereof. Depending on the wiring and the detector, they also can report "Tamper" and if the wireless devices are supervised the system will report trouble if they fail to report. There is no "trigger".
                    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Wireless Motion Issue

The first test should inherently be using the panel or via Eyzes-on portal https://www.eyez-on.com/EZMOBILE (you need to click on the zones to go to zone activities (events) and not Events) to see if the motion is being reported.

I have a number of wireless motion sensors both upstairs and downstairs that I just walked through on my way to the kitchen and none triggered at the panel as I was in and out of their active sensor within a second or so... expected behaviour. The 6 second delays was introduced in about 2004 as a response to laws introduced in California due to the amount of false alarms being reported. So this is not new.

Comment

I am pretty sure I am not (that) nuts but you all have me wondering. I could easily stand in a hallway a room away and have the kitchen trigger before and I do not remember a noticeable delay or having to wait 3 minutes for the next trigger. I figured there was an initial motion detection sent to the panel then the actual report of an open came after a false was ruled out and Vera was able to use that initial trip.

This is the exact same hardware. A DSC 1832 panel, same sensors and the same EV3.

I can't do it until the first of next week, but I should be able to disable the EV in HS and add it back into Vera. I simply have the IP wrong in the vera config to disable it there. I can move a smartswitch back in and do some testing, although I do not know how accurate the response will be with the smartswitch in Vera without much of a mesh.

Again, I can punt and work around this. I am working on getting the BI cams reporting motion (not there yet!) and see if that provides better performance. This is night lights so it isn't life or death..

Comment

Originally posted by brientim View Post
                          The first test should inherently be using the panel or via Eyzes-on portal https://www.eyez-on.com/EZMOBILE (you need to click on the zones to go to zone activities (events) and not Events) to see if the motion is being reported.

I have a number of wireless motion sensors both upstairs and downstairs that I just walked through on my way to the kitchen and none triggered at the panel as I was in and out of their active sensor within a second or so... expected behaviour. The 6 second delays was introduced in about 2004 as a response to laws introduced in California due to the amount of false alarms being reported. So this is not new.
                          Mine uses MyConnect2go, and I spent time in this process last night. I turned my kitchen motion zone to follow and gathered data on trips. Sure enough, none were closer than 3 minutes apart.

Comment

Not saying you're nuts at all and the development of the Vera EVL integration and testing was Guessed, Strangely and I and occasionally I have been back over there to test and update http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_dscalarmpanel. The development of that stopped with the introduction of UI7 due to a Number of issues that UI7 delivered.

This same issue has been discussed to death in the Vera forum. If your alarm motion sensors are well placed, there should be a cross over of zones which provides best coverage and security but no guarantee wireless motion sensor will report fast moving.... there is no initial trip reported, it is a binary off/on that is only transmitted after 6 second... that does not mean that you need to trip the zone for 6 seconds, but from the initial sensing there must still be a presences at 6 seconds.

To prevent battery drain and as the reported range is 300 m (1000 ft) the high traffic is there. That is why the batteries in these have a long life. So minimum the event should trigger a light to be turned on should be greater then 3 minutes.

The backend of Connect2Go and Eyes-on are the same but segregated to the client base and of course support.

Comment

Oh, I didn't think anyone else thought I was nuts.. My wife probably does but she has good reason.

And I am here because of all the Vera issues...

Comment

Working...
                              X