Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdoor Motion Sensor

Hi All

I'm trying to come up with a way to detect if someone is coming up the pathway to the house (say when they get halfway)

My pathway from the front door to sidewalk is only about 15 feet, so I don't think a PIR-type sensor would work

The only option I can think of is to use some kind of beam that would get broken, but I don't want to dig up the yard to run wires or have things sticking out the ground.

The only thing I can come up with is to attach a transmitter to the wall of the house and point it diagonally to a reflector so that it detects someone half way up the path.

Anyone got any other ideas?

Regards

Mark

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
    HSTouch - iPhone 3GS, 4S, iPad2 and iPad 3, 3xKindle Fire (Wall mounted)
    2 x Brultech ECM1240 with UltraECM
    USB UIRT
    Cooper Aspire Z-Wave Switches
    WGL800 w ACRF2 and 3xDS10a (Sump Level/Activity sensing)
    HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
    HSM100 - Motion Detector with Light and Temperature
    2GIG Thermostat
    BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
    BLUPS
    UltraLog (SQL2008)
    Jon00 Plugins
    Host XR3 BT and Jon00 BT Proximity
    Global Cache IP2IR
    Foscam FI8918W

There are all kinds of photoreflective sensors out there. Banner are a good name for reliability. Industrial though, but some models are inexpensive.
    http://www.bannerengineering.com/en-...ectric-Sensors
    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

In the 1980's to 1990's I used a photobeam in my driveway in the old house. The driveway was about 125 feet long(?) or so.

It worked well except when there was lightning outside. Easy to install. I just purchased a couple of mini photo relays in the spring for my bird perching on the deck railing issue. After I got them and before I installed them the birds went away. They were like $15-20 USD shipped from China. I can take pictures of them and post them here. They are like 2" tall and about 1" wide each. I did a quick search on Ebay though and couldn't find any.

I currently utilize Optex combo with Optex outdoor PIRs and they do work well. The Optex photo beam sensor picture is attached. I would most likely utilize one of these for the front walk maybe.

Today it may be easier too to utilize some sort of outdoor mat switch (there are threads here on the forum relating to said use indoor and outdoor) or Geophones where are highly sensitive to motion and are used for Earthquake detection, land mine sensors and thumpers.
      Attached Files
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks Guys

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
        HSTouch - iPhone 3GS, 4S, iPad2 and iPad 3, 3xKindle Fire (Wall mounted)
        2 x Brultech ECM1240 with UltraECM
        USB UIRT
        Cooper Aspire Z-Wave Switches
        WGL800 w ACRF2 and 3xDS10a (Sump Level/Activity sensing)
        HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
        HSM100 - Motion Detector with Light and Temperature
        2GIG Thermostat
        BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
        BLUPS
        UltraLog (SQL2008)
        Jon00 Plugins
        Host XR3 BT and Jon00 BT Proximity
        Global Cache IP2IR
        Foscam FI8918W

Comment

Working...