Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curious why only the HS-WD100+ has an air gap switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curious why only the HS-WD100+ has an air gap switch?

Just a curiosity question does anyone know why the HS-WD100+ has an air gap switch you can pull out, but the HS-WS100+ does not have one?

Originally posted by scorp508 View Post
    Just a curiosity question does anyone know why the HS-WD100+ has an air gap switch you can pull out, but the HS-WS100+ does not have one?
    I believe because it uses a relay which is essentially an air gap, they are not required by UL. When they're off they're off. Dimmers have a solid state device which does not provide such isolation from the line.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Great point. I was looking at it more from a "how to reboot a misbehaving Z-Wave switch" point of view rather than a core electrical safety function.

Comment

I thought the air gap switch was required so that it prevents Remote turn on of the circuit while you're working on it or changing Bulbs Etc
        https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

Originally posted by happnatious1 View Post
          I thought the air gap switch was required so that it prevents Remote turn on of the circuit while you're working on it or changing Bulbs Etc
          That is a good reason to have one, but the (UL 1472 I think) requirement simply states "the switching circuit includes separable contacts (air gap)".

I cannot find the text of UL 1472, so I took the above quote from the UL standards on timers and mechanical controllers. IIRC the same statement is in 1472.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I think you'll find that the official way to change a light bulb is to turn the circuit breaker off. Not saying that's what I do, but I bet it says that somewhere on the lightbulb box.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Not surprising my eclipse glasses said Don't wear while driving.
              https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

Working...
              X