HS3 on Win10 VM with multiple NICs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK folks.... I think i'm a bit in over my head here and hope you can help. This was working fine for over a year, but a recent issue with the Sonos PI, and I think I need some help understanding what I have/have done.

I'm running newest build of Win10 Pro (1709) - I think my problems may have started after that upgrade, but unsure. My system is broken into 3:

Main system - this is running HS3 (latest beta)
    VM1 - this is running my Blue Iris sytem
    VM2 - this is running an older version of Windows Home Server

to be clever when I set this up, I installed a second network card, and have that dedicated to the Blue Iris VM.

Where I have become confused is how I seem to have two possible subnets that HS3 can be on (maybe my sonos problem)...

On the HS3 server, if I look at IPcongfig, I see the two different IPs and the two different subnets.

then, on the network settings tab of HS3, I see "no binding" selected, although I see both of the IPs, as well as a third (127.0.0.1) . What is that third one ??? possibly the Sonos Bridge network?

so, how should that binding option be set? (all my clients see HS3 on 192.168.1.154).

And WHAT is the 192.168.249.97?
    Attached Files

How many interfaces (control panel (large icons view) - network and sharing - change adapter settings) do you see on the vm HOST os windows 10 machine? What are their IP addresses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

attached.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
        attached.
        In order to provide your VMs with Ethernet port access and allow multiple instances to communicate with a single piece of HW, virtual bridges get created by the VM hosting OS, in this case Windows. Check the settings on that bridge, maybe it has a static IP instead of a dynamic. If the latter, all of it will be in the right subnet.

Dirk

Comment

hmmm. where would i do that? in Hyper-V manager?

Comment

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post
            In order to provide your VMs with Ethernet port access and allow multiple instances to communicate with a single piece of HW, virtual bridges get created by the VM hosting OS, in this case Windows. Check the settings on that bridge, maybe it has a static IP instead of a dynamic. If the latter, all of it will be in the right subnet.

Dirk
            On second thought, how are the IP settings on that second network interface? I suspect that might be a static IP or is there a DHCP server active on that subnet, which has a totally different subnet setting? The host OS will see both interfaces so applications need to choose but VMs can be configured to bind themselves to a specific virtual bridge. Because HS3 is running native, it will have to select which interface is binds itself to. It seems setting it in HS3 is not doing the trick OR my PI is not getting/using it properly. The virtual bridge is still for VMs that want to use that interface, in this case, it would be your VM running Blue Iris. Still worth poking around the VM network settings but if HS3 is running native on a box with 2 NICs, it will have to chose (I think ) and I can check my code again tonight.

Dirk

Comment

hmmm. where would i do that? in Hyper-V manager?
              Click on Ethernet and/or Ethernet2 to open up the properties window. The click on IP4 settings to open up those IP setting. Curious whether it set to DHCP or manual for both interfaces. I think the virtual bridge takes over the settings from the physical interface (see also my other posting) which means that maybe there isn't a lot we can do and need to dig into how HS3 deals with this. In the hypervisor, I think you can only select which virtual bridge(s) (that is attached to a physical interface), the apps running in the specific VM will "see". Because HS3 is running native, messing around in the hypervisor isn't going to influence that.

Dirk

Comment

the mother of all screen shots. does this help?
                Attached Files

Comment

another pic.
                  Attached Files

Comment

another pic.
                    Why would the IP-V4 service on the 2 NICs be unselected? Not even sure how this all works without IPV4 selected. Click on the Internet Protocol version V4 and then open the properties for the 2 NICs.
                    Dirk

Comment

Why would the IP-V4 service on the 2 NICs be unselected? Not even sure how this all works without IPV4 selected. Click on the Internet Protocol version V4 and then open the properties for the 2 NICs.
                      Dirk
                      When an Ethernet adaptor is assigned to a Hyper-v switch and not shared with the management O/S, all that is enabled is LLDP. It is only treated as a port on a virtual switch. The rest of the configuration is handled within the guest O/S. The only way to figure all this out is to see how the switches are configured in the Hypervisor
                      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                        When an Ethernet adaptor is assigned to a Hyper-v switch and not shared with the management O/S, all that is enabled is LLDP. It is only treated as a port on a virtual switch. The rest of the configuration is handled within the guest O/S. The only way to figure all this out is to see how the switches are configured in the Hypervisor
                        Interesting.
                        He is running some Apps native, how would that work?

Comment

Interesting.
                          He is running some Apps native, how would that work?
                          I would have to know how many NICS are installed in the host and how each of the virtual switches are configured. I would also have to know how the physical NICs are connected to the network. Through a single switch? Is DHCP running on the host? Is there another DHCP server on the network?

The two subnets are likely the problem. I would go to a single NIC on the VM hosting HS as there is very little network traffic and being virtual, they add no redundancy. Then I would make sure the HS VM is on the same subnet as the Sonos speakers.
                          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                            I would have to know how many NICS are installed in the host and how each of the virtual switches are configured. I would also have to know how the physical NICs are connected to the network. Through a single switch? Is DHCP running on the host? Is there another DHCP server on the network?

The two subnets are likely the problem. I would go to a single NIC on the VM hosting HS as there is very little network traffic and being virtual, they add no redundancy. Then I would make sure the HS VM is on the same subnet as the Sonos speakers.
                            1st off comment thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it and I'm learning a ton

So the machine has 2 network cards installed both are hard wired to a single switch on the same LAN.

One is supposed to be dedicated to the virtual machine running blue Iris. The other should be shared between the host machine which is running home server, and the other virtual machine which is running windows home server.

Lord knows I may have done it wrong, but it was all working until a week or 2 ago. Due the pictures that I provided earlier provide any insight?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

An update to this. Seems as though maybe with the FAll Creator's update, something changed that was showing both IPs on the host machine (that's running HS3).

With some great help from @rprade, we ended up disabling the other Virtual switch for now and all is working correctly again.

Will do some investigation and report back if we find out what caused the mess in the first place. (or more likely how I set it up wrong )

Thanks for the ongoing help everyone!

Comment

Working...
                              X