Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Irrigation Plug-ins > Irrigation Discussion

Irrigation Discussion Discussion of irrigation integration with HomeSeer systems.

Old March 10th, 2018, 03:00 AM
$25 Sonoff 4CH for irrigation control

Itead makes a family of WiFi IOT products including the Sonoff 4C (4 channel relay). I have a couple on order for evaluation with intent of customizing the firmware for irrigation. My basic thoughts is that they would be used like a Rain8, Ezflora, etc, but would like to go a step further where they could run a dynamic schedule if something would happen with HS or other automation controller that normally initiates irrigation cycles.

I had a similar discussion with Legotek several years ago with integration of mcsSprinklers with intelligent controller, but we never reached agreement on commercial terms so the engineering never materialized. Now with $25 price points for the valve controllers and success with modification of the single channel Sonoff I am looking at this again.

I would like the master HA controller such as mcsSprinklers to continue to compute optimal schedules and provide the primary UI. The Sonoff is able to assess calendar time so can be programmed to run in a backup mode if connection with the master HA is lost. A concept similar to what I did with the F16 digital flight control back in the 1980’s.

What I would like to open up for discussion is the nature of the backup “program”. I want more intelligence than just interval time scheduling, but I do not want the full inhibit/scheduling engine that is in mcsSprinklers. I would imagine something closer to the recent wave of Kickstarter-like irrigation smart controllers such as Rachio, Rainmachine, Blossom etc.