Alexa Does Not See Virtual Device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alexa Does Not See Virtual Device

I have a virtual device Location which can have the state Home, Sleep, Away, and Vacation. I had the Alexa app on my Android scan for new devices but it doesn't see the device "Location". I also followed the instructions on https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=186377, i.e. I set the Address and Device Type values. I already had "Voice command" enabled. How can I get Alexa to see my device?

Also I assume I would control it with "Alexa, set Location to Away" which is similar to how you control a device that can be dimmed.

Originally posted by mulu View Post
    I have a virtual device Location which can have the state Home, Sleep, Away, and Vacation. I had the Alexa app on my Android scan for new devices but it doesn't see the device "Location". I also followed the instructions on https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=186377, i.e. I set the Address and Device Type values. I already had "Voice command" enabled. How can I get Alexa to see my device?

Also I assume I would control it with "Alexa, set Location to Away" which is similar to how you control a device that can be dimmed.
    You need to discover devices on the Alexa side - when you do this does the device appear?

With the smart home / connected home skill you will only have the option to set the devices on/off/dim/colour/lock etc - it is not that intuitive to get the list of possible status's from HS and set them. You would have to use something like 'set away location to on' instead. Using the other skills I believe you can do something like 'ask homeseer to set location to away' but I don't have particular experience with them to know.

Comment

HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

mrhappy, I can confirm that "Alexa, tell Homeseer to set Location to Home/Sleep/Away/Vacation" works. I wish this would be easier. Btw, this requires the "HomeSeer Home Automation Skill" to be installed on Alexa (not to be confused with the "HomeSeer" skill. I have both installed and they work well side-by-side).

If it becomes bothersome I will create virtual devices 'Home', 'Sleep', 'Away' and 'Vacation' that only have on/off and then turn the appropriate virtual device on (and the others off). But I hope the Skill will improve so this is not necessary.

Comment

Working...
        X