2-Way Communication via MCA-C5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2-Way Communication via MCA-C5

Hi, I'm running version 2.0.145.0 of the linux plugin and using RIO to connect via USB-Serial to my HS3 server. I'm able to control things well from HS but I'm not getting status back.

For example, if I turn on a zone at the keypad, I'm assuming that same zone should light up in HS. If I adjust volumes, change sources, etc, it should likewise reflect in the associated HS devices.

I'm an IT professional with 20 years experience so I'm happy to run any diagnostics or collect logging.

Thanks in advance,
    Adam

RIO support was something I added but I never really got it fully tested by users. Since I only have the CAV66 units I cannot test RIO so I am relying on users who have a unit to do this.

I would like to do 2 tests with debug logging turned on.
    With debug turned on it will create a BLRussound-Detailed.log file in your HS3 root folder.

Capture me a log of changing a zone power:

1. Turn on debug logging in the plugin
    2. Capture a zone power on and off change
    3. Turn off debug logging
    4. Rename the debug log to a different name indicating the test you did

Capture a log from plugin startup

1. Make sure the previous debug log was renamed so this creates a brand new one
    2. Disable the plugin
    3. Edit the hspi_BLRussound.ini and change debugLevel=true
    4. Save INI file
    5. Re-enable the plugin
    6. Let the plugin run for a couple minutes then disable debug logging
    7. Rename the debug log to a different name indicating the test you did

Make sure to zip the logs before emailing them to me.
    Email the zipped logs directly: blade9123 at gmail dot com

Let me know what you did in each log. Which zone you powered on and off, etc

Thanks
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Thank you, Blade, log files dispatched as requested! Thanks for the quick reply.

Do you have a recommendation as to whether to use RIO versus RNET? Based on what I read, Russound called RIO a "superset" of RNET. I assumed this meant, newer = better, with 2-way communication and a more modern protocol. However, if you suggest RNET over RIO, I'm perfectly fine to change it, I've got not more compelling reason other than assuming newer = better.

Thanks, I'll look forward to your analysis of the logs. If I can help in any way or provide more info, just let me know!

Thanks much,
      Adam

Comment

I'm interested in this as well. Would love to get rid of the serial communication as the Russound is the last device left in my setup that relies on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sireone View Post
          I'm interested in this as well. Would love to get rid of the serial communication as the Russound is the last device left in my setup that relies on it.
          Same here, would love to get rid of this last serial device in my house.

Comment

RIO still uses serial in the plugin
            I have 2 CAV66 controllers so I am stuck with serial ports here
            I will take a look and see if I can add Ethernet support for the newer controllers
            Cheers,
            Bob
            Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
              RIO still uses serial in the plugin
              I have 2 CAV66 controllers so I am stuck with serial ports here
              I will take a look and see if I can add Ethernet support for the newer controllers
              I for one would love to see that. my roadmap includes whole house audio and I have my eye on the MCA-88x
              HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
              Number of Devices: 1005
              Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Working...
              X