This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homeseer migration 1.7 to 2.0

I did the following on my Test box and will probably do the same to the production box. The difference between the two boxes is that the testbox has nothing connected to it so testing is quite limited.

Took my production HS 1.7.44 and loaded it onto the test box. Registered all things needing registering and started running. It ran fine with the expectation that many things were not there and would not work. In my plugins (the ones I wrote) I always include a simulation mode which accounts for the equipment (e.g. Modem) not being there. Once I was satisfied it was running well I stopped HS and copied the homeseer folder to one named Homeseer1. I believe every script or plugin should be able to handle, in a reasonable manner, the condition that the equipment it controls or monitors is not there.

I then upgraded the homeseer folder to HS 2.0 Build 1955. I fixed what I needed to in my plugins and scripts, and decided to stop using certain plugins since they were not working well yet and I had workarounds. Got HS2 running with no errors or warnings on start up and then shut it down. I then copied the Homeseer folder to a new folder named Homeseer2.

I have two bat files. One erases all items in the Homeseer folder and then copies the contents of the Homeseer1 folder into the Homeseer folder. The other bat files does a similar thing for Homeseer2.

I then start homeseer, and whichever version was last loaded runs. I thought I might have to re-register things but not so (all the names are the same for items that exist in both systems). If I make changes I make the changes in the Homeseer folder and then copy the full folder over to either Homeseer1 or Homeseer2 as the case requires. I do have regall and unregall bat files in each of the two folders (Homeseer1 and Homeser2) just in case.

This gives me a way to test HS2 on the Production box, and revert back to the production version when I am done testing and want HS to run as it always does. Days after days after days.

What is nice is that I do not have to re-cable as if I were using a seperate test box. I do my debugging and testing in the wee hours of the AM when all is quiet, and homeseer is basically idling.

The copies take about a minute to do and then I am back to the "Virgin" image
Working...
X