Plug In Not Logging Data - Solved!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mwolfod View Post
    Using that application, I had to switch the unit to a new port, at which point I finally got a "Port Opened" message. However, no other data is showing up in the terminal window.

And of course, no data still being logged by HomeSeer despite:

1) no errors reported in HS log

or

2) in the Port Status in Win7 64 Device Manager.
    Along with powering down/up your base unit, make sure that your transmitter's LED is blinking every 9 seconds or so.

You might even try to re-pair the transmitter to the base unit.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
      Sounds like your hardware has an issue.
      I guess I'm confused as to why a hardware issue would not be reported by HomeSeer (or Windows 7). HS reports no problems in the log, though I don't recall an entry acknowledging that it is actually receiving data.

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
        Along with powering down/up your base unit, make sure that your transmitter's LED is blinking every 9 seconds or so.

You might even try to re-pair the transmitter to the base unit.
        I'm trying to do all of this remotely so I cannot actually look at the unit regarding the blinking light. I will check that tonight.

However, I'm not sure why I would need to re-pair my tranmitters with the base unit, as it is freely receiving data from both of them.

My problem seems to be between the base unit and the PC, though, as I've stated, I'm getting no clear error messages to indicate any sort of problem.

At least they are not clear to me. LOL.

Comment

Using that application, I had to switch the unit to a new port, at which point I finally got a "Port Opened" message. However, no other data is showing up in the terminal window.

And of course, no data still being logged by HomeSeer despite:

1) no errors reported in HS log

or

2) in the Port Status in Win7 64 Device Manager.
          The CC hardware is strictly a one way serial interface, it cannot accept any incoming commands so as long as the port is opened that is as much as the PC will know. Not sure any of the plugins are trained to not realise that data has not been sent.

Not sure I have ever seen an issue where the port still exists (which implies the USB interface is still OK enough to load in windows), the device reports data but it still does not send data, you tried reconnecting the serial cable in the back of the unit just in case it has become loose?

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
            Not sure I have ever seen an issue where the port still exists (which implies the USB interface is still OK enough to load in windows), the device reports data but it still does not send data, you tried reconnecting the serial cable in the back of the unit just in case it has become loose?
            I've reattached that cable numerous times at both ends, but again, if that were loose (or defective), wouldn't HS report a lack of communication?

When is HS3 coming out? My very uninformed understanding is that Com Ports are being done away with. LOL.

Comment

I've reattached that cable numerous times at both ends, but again, if that were loose (or defective), wouldn't HS report a lack of communication?

When is HS3 coming out? My very uninformed understanding is that Com Ports are being done away with. LOL.
              No serial ports in the automation world are thriving. As myhappy stated I too have never seen a device connect but not send data. If the re pairing doesn't work it may indicate your unit has failed.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I don't know how the plugin is written but I imagine it is a simple case of opening the com port and handling the received data. Unless there has been some sort of watchdog put in the plugin to detect data as not having been received in x time then no, HS would not know about it.

I've been using the CC stuff for years, never had an issue with the data going missing. I've been using the USB cable for a good few months (switched from a serial one) and not had an issue apart from some driver problems which were fixed, that could be another thing whether you are using the correct one as some do have issues.

If HS3 got rid of com ports most peoples setups would be useless, I doubt very much that will happen.

Comment

No serial ports in the automation world are thriving. As myhappy stated I too have never seen a device connect but not send data. If the re pairing doesn't work it may indicate your unit has failed.
                  Once again, I am not having problems receiving data from my transmitters (2), at the Base unit. If my Base unit is defective it would be in sending data OUT to the PC. Right? I'm not sure what the point is in re-pairing the Base Unit with the Transmitters, as the Base Unit is clearly receiving data from them.

Yeah, I was wondering how the Comm Ports would just go away given the amount of hardware already in place.

Thanks,

Comment

I don't know how the plugin is written but I imagine it is a simple case of opening the com port and handling the received data. Unless there has been some sort of watchdog put in the plugin to detect data as not having been received in x time then no, HS would not know about it.

I've been using the CC stuff for years, never had an issue with the data going missing. I've been using the USB cable for a good few months (switched from a serial one) and not had an issue apart from some driver problems which were fixed, that could be another thing whether you are using the correct one as some do have issues.
                    So conceivably HSPRO could report that all is well even in the absence of any data being received?

My mileage varies concerning CC. Over the years, this has been BY FAR the most troublesome HS plug-in/interface/hardware I have ever used.

Comment

So conceivably HSPRO could report that all is well even in the absence of any data being received?
                      Yes. The plugin opens the port and waits for data. And just the opposite here. This is one on my most stable pieces of hardware. I looked in the closet the other night and mine display unit has so much dust on it that I couldn't read the display. Mine is the older unit with a big black square sending unit.
                      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Yes. The plugin opens the port and waits for data. And just the opposite here. This is one on my most stable pieces of hardware. I looked in the closet the other night and mine display unit has so much dust on it that I couldn't read the display. Mine is the older unit with a big black square sending unit.
                        Well, I'm going to HAVE to assume that it is my Base Unit that has somehow stopped exporting data.

Perhaps my unit has been borderline defective all along, given my apparent outlier problems.

I'll ask Current Cost for their OLDER unit on the back shelf rather than their newest, as I would rather have reliability over extraneous Eye Candy (half kidding)

Comment

Well, I'm going to HAVE to assume that it is my Base Unit that has somehow stopped exporting data.

Perhaps my unit has been borderline defective all along, given my apparent outlier problems.

I'll ask Current Cost for their OLDER unit on the back shelf rather than their newest, as I would rather have reliability over extraneous Eye Candy (half kidding)
                          I would not assume that until you have eliminated the USB cable and the drivers, which I imagine would be the more likely thing than the device simply not deciding not to send data (IIRC when I looked in it there is little inside and the serial lines came straight off the PIC which would be an odd failure if the device is still processing data fine).

Five years ago when I got my first CC unit I looked at the RJ45 (before it became known it was actually a serial output) and plugged it straight into a network switch to see if it leased an IP address, the device lived to tell the tale long after that so I think they are pretty hardy.

Comment

I would not assume that until you have eliminated the USB cable and the drivers, which I imagine would be the more likely thing than the device simply not deciding not to send data (IIRC when I looked in it there is little inside and the serial lines came straight off the PIC which would be an odd failure if the device is still processing data fine).

Do you mean the infamous USB-Serial Port drivers, which I have messed around with over the years to a depressing degree?

Win 7 Device Manager reports no problems with that particular nightmare, so how could drivers be the problem? Unless you are referring to another driver????

BTW, in my computer experience over the years, I specialize in "odd failures".

Comment

I thought there was someone that reported a recent windows update that loaded a new driver that broke this? I thought I had seen that on the boards here...

Here's that post:
                              http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=1053081
                              Last edited by rmasonjr; March 5, 2013, 03:05 PM. Reason: found post
                              HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                              54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                              Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Looks like usb/serial connection was hosed. I couldn't get the currentcost software to log any data either until I rebooted several times. Once the interface started talking to the CC program Homeseer started logging again. I really hate when things fix themselves!

Comment

Working...
                                X