Aeon Labs Aeotec Z-Wave Multi-Sensor 6, Gen5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mwaite View Post
    I took the suggestion earlier in this thread to contact AOETECH re: firmware.

Here's their response:
    From: Aeotec by Aeon Labs [mailto:support@aeotec.freshdesk.com]
    Sent: July 27, 2015 10:38 PM
    To: mike@coolyard.com
    Subject: Re: FIRMWARE - Aeotec Z-Wave Multi-Sensor 6, Gen5

Hi Michael Waite,

Ticket: https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/102

I've attached the firmware for version V1.06 of the Multisensor 6 US version. You should be able to use this to update the firmware of your sensor.

Cheers,
    Chris Cheng
    Field Application Engineer
    Aeon Labs
    www.aeotec.com

I can't figure out how to perform the upgrade. Here's my reply back to them:
    Hello Chris,

Thank you for the firmware software. There are no instructions/help with the application. I am not sure how to setup the system.

I have a (HomeSeer) Z-Troller connected to a PC on Com-1. When I try to connect to it within the application:

However it appears the application is communicating, at least at some level:

The Z-Troller was replaced by a Z-Net controller on my HomeSeer computer, I could also use Z-Net instead of Z-Troller if that would work.

Would you please send some documentation on how to upgrade?

Can anyone shed some light? I'll be happy to share the file they sent me, probably best to not distribute here, contact me if interested.
    Their update procedure is a little confusing to say the least and has been discussed before on this board.

When I updated the previous version multi-sensor the procedure was:
    1. Exclude the device to be updated from it's current controller.
    2. Include the device using the supplied software utility.
    3. Run the update procedure from within the utility.
    4. Exclude the device using the utility.
    5. Include device back into original system.

The procedure did work OK but I was using a USB controller.

Paul..

Comment

I took the suggestion earlier in this thread to contact AOETECH re: firmware.

Can anyone shed some light? I'll be happy to share the file they sent me, probably best to not distribute here, contact me if interested.
      Unless they have changed something in their process
      1. The device must be included in a compatible USB controller.
      2. If you have it included in a compatible USB controller, HomeSeer must be shut down
      3. Run their proprietary updater that has the binary as well as the update software all packaged in an .exe file

It will not work with a Z-Troller or Z-Net.

Since you are using a Z-Troller (or now a Z-Net) you will need to purchase or borrow a 500 series USB controller and follow Paul's steps above. I used an Aeon Labs DSA02203-ZWUS Z-Wave Z-Stick, purchased used for about $30 from an online store.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
        Unless they have changed something in their process
        1. The device must be included in a compatible USB controller.
        2. If you have it included in a compatible USB controller, HomeSeer must be shut down
        3. Run their proprietary updater that has the binary as well as the update software all packaged in an .exe file

It will not work with a Z-Troller or Z-Net.

Since you are using a Z-Troller (or now a Z-Net) you will need to purchase or borrow a 500 series USB controller and follow Paul's steps above. I used an Aeon Labs DSA02203-ZWUS Z-Wave Z-Stick, purchased used for about $30 from an online store.
        Yikes! Has anyone tried this with a SmartStick+?
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation, I suspected while the exe connected to the Z-Troller, it was missing some config data from the device based on the initial error message.

Question:
          "Run their proprietary updater that has the binary as well as the update software all packaged in an .exe file"

The zip they sent me contained only the following files (below). So there is no binary file included? If not, how'd they expect me to upgrade? I only see dll's and an XML.
          Attached Files
          Mike

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation, I suspected while the exe connected to the Z-Troller, it was missing some config data from the device based on the initial error message.

Question:
            "Run their proprietary updater that has the binary as well as the update software all packaged in an .exe file"

The zip they sent me contained only the following files (below). So there is no binary file included? If not, how'd they expect me to upgrade? I only see dll's and an XML.
            That top file is the updater with the binary embedded in it. The rest are just support libraries for the application. When you run that .exe. it will push the binary out to the device. That is why it will not work with HomeSeer's OTA on the Z-Net.

You are not missing anything, the software can only communicate through a compatible USB Z-Wave controller. It will NOT work with a Z-Troller or Z-Net.

Aeotec is afraid of supplying the binary directly "to protect their intellectual property". They are a little naive if they think their method really offers that protection.

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
              Yikes! Has anyone tried this with a SmartStick+?
              According to Chris at Aeotec "it should work", but he has only tested their executable with their controllers. You could try it with one of the series 5 multi sensors you have in stock and the updater package for that device.

The whole thing is just silly. They should provide the binary so that we can push it out the way the Z-Wave alliance intended.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                That top file is the updater with the binary embedded in it. The rest are just support libraries for the application. When you run that .exe. it will push the binary out to the device. That is why it will not work with HomeSeer's OTA on the Z-Net.

Aeotec is afraid of supplying the binary directly "to protect their intellectual property". They are a little naive if they think their method really offers that protection.
                OK thank you. I've ordered their controller. Kind of a waste, but I tend to be impatient
                Mike

Comment

OK thank you. I've ordered their controller. Kind of a waste, but I tend to be impatient
                  I agree, hence my post in response to Mark above.

Comment

Aeotec replied back with the OTA procedure PDF and this remark:

"These are general OTA update instructions, replace the Z-Stick with the Z-Troller you are using. We just use the Z-Stick as an example."

Clearly this guy doesn't realize the Z-Troller is not a USB device.

PM me if interested in the doc. The procedure is as rprade indicated, just into more detail.
                    Mike

Comment

Hm. Seems likely that the binary is just a resource embedded in that exe. There are a number of ways to extract such a resource.

Comment

OK, folks.... what the hell am I missing?

Z-Wave plus purportedly promises:
                        • 50% improvement in battery life
                        • 67% improvement in range
                        • 250% more bandwidth
                        • Three RF channels for improved noise immunity and higher bandwidth
                        • New Plug-n-Play Network-wide Inclusion feature
                        • Improved self-healing and fault tolerance with Explorer Frame feature
                        • Standardized method for Over the Air firmware updates (OTA)
                        • Improved product information capture for product certification database

(Emphasis, mine.)
                        http://z-wavealliance.org/z-wave_plus_certification/

The Multisensor 6 is Plus certified.
                        http://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1390

And we are expected to go through this goat-rope to update?

And, considering all of the Z+ toys I'm hearing about, I'm not getting any warm fuzzies about "Plug-n-Play Network-wide Inclusion", either.....
                        HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
                        Home Assistant 2024.3
                        Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
                        Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
                        Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
                        WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
                        AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by ewkearns View Post
                          OK, folks.... what the hell am I missing?

Z-Wave plus purportedly promises:
                          • 50% improvement in battery life
                          • 67% improvement in range
                          • 250% more bandwidth
                          • Three RF channels for improved noise immunity and higher bandwidth
                          • New Plug-n-Play Network-wide Inclusion feature
                          • Improved self-healing and fault tolerance with Explorer Frame feature
                          • Standardized method for Over the Air firmware updates (OTA)
                          • Improved product information capture for product certification database

(Emphasis, mine.)
                          http://z-wavealliance.org/z-wave_plus_certification/

The Multisensor 6 is Plus certified.
                          http://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1390

And we are expected to go through this goat-rope to update?

And, considering all of the Z+ toys I'm hearing about, I'm not getting any warm fuzzies about "Plug-n-Play Network-wide Inclusion", either.....
                          Z-Wave plus does offer "Standardized method for Over the Air firmware updates (OTA)". The problem is that Aeotec has elected not to do this.

The next question is: How can they be Z-Wave plus certified, yet not support this feature?

The answer is...

NWI is in large part working for me, even on ZDK 4.5X products.

Comment

So I get the Aeotech USB controller, and am able to successfully update the firmware of the Multi-sensor 6.

I now have one additional sensor. Funny thing though, when I bump the device I get a tamper alarm! Not a big deal I guess I can rename it. Also, notice all the possible events the Home Security child device lists.
                            Attached Files
                            Mike

Comment

V1.06 for EU-version is also available now. Got it mailed from their support today. Will try to upgrade later today.

Comment

Updated without problems. Shutdown HS3, started the upgrade-program, selected the device, waited 10 min.
                                Started HS3 and did a rescan of the device.

I'm using the z-wave.me UZB-stick.

Comment

Working...
                                X