How to go about his Automation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to go about his Automation?

For lack of me finder a better place to post I have placed it here. I have a GFI receptacle on the side of my house. I have my front yard lights plugged in to it. I also use this plug from Xmas lights during the holidays.

Do I just change the receptacle to an x10 and looose the gfi? which I dont think is wise. DO I make an inline zwave or x10 light switch that activates the receptacle? Do I make a junction box and put an X10 device box that I have seen? Or is there such thing and a weather proof x10 device? Any pointers?

PP,
    This has been covered from time to time over the last few years and a very popular application is to use of a heavy duty zip lock baggie over an appliance module. The important thing is to mount it in a way that keeps the baggie opening pointing down. I use this same baggie scenario for one of my "summer time" sprinkler projects and it works flawlessly.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

So the baggie acts as a raincoat...My box is mounted horizontaly not vertical But I get the idea.

Comment

Not to hijack this thread, but I have a similar situation. However, my problem is that I cannot get a signal to be picked up by the receptacle outside. I am assuming that it is because it is on a circuit that has three GFCI outlets on the way to it. I am fully aware that there are a number of contributing factors regarding signal issues, but assuming it is because of the GCFIs, is there any viable solution to that problem?

From my experience reading posts on this forum for quite a few weeks, Rupp appears to be the one to ask.

Comment

If you are using X10 I would use a signal meter to test if there are signals being sent at all then use the W800rf antenna which greatly extends the range if it is just a weak signal. If not then Zwave Lamp module would be an option. Try putting an X10 sensor near the switch and see if you get reception at all from there if you have one.

Comment

For signal problems, perhaps a Z-Wave module would work? (Don't know if you are into Z-Wave or not.) The only issue would be to remember to remove/reset the module when you are done with it else the network will always be looking for it. One of the Intermatic products (if they ever release them) was an outdoor Z-Wave outlet/dongle. It was a short (8-9") plug-in cord with an outlet on the end, partially shielded from sun/rain. Wish they were available in time for Christmas lights this year!

Nonetheless, my outdoor outlets are also horizontal Carlo, and so the ziplock method still works. What I do is put the module in the bag and punch the prongs through the bag. Plug it in, then wrap the bag around the cord and pseudo seal it using liberal application of vinyl (electrician's) tape. With extension cords, the weight of the cord is usually enough to bias the cord to fall toward the ground which keeps the bag opening (taped or not) pointing toward the ground, which forces the water droplets to drop off to the ground instead of doing what they sometimes like to do, which is to run uphill. The outlet cover has always been sufficient (with some luck) in covering the small gap where the prongs enter the plug.

On the bright side of X-10, if there is a short and it takes the module out before the GFCI trips, then you are only out $12-$15!
            Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

outrbanx,
              Do you have and use a coupler/repeater?

As far as weather proofing an outdoor outlet. Home Depot and Lowe's sell these very large plastic covers that mount on the outlet itself. It's large enough to get an X10 appliance module in. I just replace the one one the back of my house. They come in both vertical mounting as well as horizontal mounting styles.

Here's a picture that looks sorta like what I bought:
              Attached Files
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I found that the trick was to NOT try to make the housing waterproof, but to make sure that it's protected from rain etc. but with ventilation. I "fried" a couple of my units when I waterproofed them so well that they built up condensation that ultimately killed them.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp
                  outrbanx,
                  Do you have and use a coupler/repeater?
                  Considering the amount of money required to purchase one (I am but a lowly stay-at-home Dad), I wanted to have some confidence that a coupler/repeater would be able to take care of the problem. Just to get by, I have put an Intermatic timer on my landscape / holiday lights using that outlet, so it isn't too much of an issue. That circuit along with one other bank of outlets (3 total) on the other side of the house are the only ones I seem to have a problem with. Otherwise, I have been lucky compared to others.

Although, my next purchase will have to be Homeseer. I am currently halfway through my 30 day trial. Enjoying every minute of it, though.

Comment

OT, but out of curiosity. Where in OBX are you located, or is it just a place you like to vacation?

Comment

Originally posted by JustOneMore
                      OT, but out of curiosity. Where in OBX are you located, or is it just a place you like to vacation?
                      I'm in Va., but OBX is my absolute favorite place to go.

Comment

Working...
                      X