No announcement yet.

Questions from someone new to security panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for resurrecting this really old thread on DSC alarms...

@rprade
    Randy, hoping you or others more experienced than I run across this post.

I have a few questions about your DSC implementation, now that I have finally bought my PC1864 panel and will be implementing it over the coming months.

1. In post 29 of this thread, you were asking about the order of wired vs wireless zones and whether you had to buy, install and configure all potentially required expansion boards to achieve 48 wired zones in front of 16 wireless. What were you able to implement here? Hopefully not that.

2. In post 28 you mentioned Kidde smoke/CO/heat detectors and a Kidde relay that you were using via Arduino. Were you able to achieve integration of all these and can you give an idea of the topography or perhaps a wiring diagram?

3. Related to #2. In the case of multiple detectors, do they all have to be on the same circuit to simultaneously chirp and were you able to achieve supervised status?

Many thanks
    James
    cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
      @rprade
      Randy, hoping you or others more experienced than I run across this post.

I have a few questions about your DSC implementation, now that I have finally bought my PC1864 panel and will be implementing it over the coming months.

1. In post 29 of this thread, you were asking about the order of wired vs wireless zones and whether you had to buy, install and configure all potentially required expansion boards to achieve 48 wired zones in front of 16 wireless. What were you able to implement here? Hopefully not that.
      Wired devices are fixed blocks of 8 zones each. Wireless zones can be anywhere that is not occupied with a wired zone. Even if all 8 zones of the main board or a wired expansion are not occupied, a wireless zone cannot be in that block. I ended up adding my wireless zones starting at zone 64 and working backwards. Wired zones start at 1 and run contiguously from board to board. You can add the boards one at a time, just do not assign any wireless zones where your might add a wired zone. The expansion boards can be added as needed, but I ended up adding them all at once. The main board and 2 expansion boards are in the main panel box and a 4th expansion board is in the garage. I ended up with 32 wired zones from 1-32 and wireless zones from 38-64. 33-37 are unused, but could be used for future wireless zones.

2. In post 28 you mentioned Kidde smoke/CO/heat detectors and a Kidde relay that you were using via Arduino. Were you able to achieve integration of all these and can you give an idea of the topography or perhaps a wiring diagram?
      Yes, I integrated them into the panel. They are still connected to Arduino pins as well as the DSC panel, but I only use the panel zones. I wired them with resistors, just like a dry contact window sensor. I have a smoke, CO and flood zone.

The topography is simple. All of the detectors are 120V with a single interconnect wire that runs from one to the other and the relays. I ran 14-3 romex to all of them and put them on a dedicated circuit as recommended.

3. Related to #2. In the case of multiple detectors, do they all have to be on the same circuit to simultaneously chirp and were you able to achieve supervised status?
      Mine are all Kidde interconnected. When one is tripped, they all squawk. Some are smoke only, others are CO/smoke, 2 heat detectors (attic and garage) and one is CO only (basement boiler room). I use a Kidde CO120X (CO relay) and SM120X (smoke relay) to interface the connected detectors to the panel. I can't see any way these wired devices can be "supervised", other than to detect a wiring problem, which NC contacts and a resistor will achieve. The flood detectors are wired directly to the panel as well as an Arduino pin to control the water valve. There is a failsafe relay driven by an Arduino "alive" pin to allow direct control of the water valve in the event the Arduino board is not connected to HomeSeer for any reason.

Many thanks
      James
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
        Wired devices are fixed blocks of 8 zones each. Wireless zones can be anywhere that is not occupied with a wired zone. Even if all 8 zones of the main board or a wired expansion are not occupied, a wireless zone cannot be in that block. I ended up adding my wireless zones starting at zone 64 and working backwards. Wired zones start at 1 and run contiguously from board to board. You can add the boards one at a time, just do not assign any wireless zones where your might add a wired zone. The expansion boards can be added as needed, but I ended up adding them all at once. The main board and 2 expansion boards are in the main panel box and a 4th expansion board is in the garage. I ended up with 32 wired zones from 1-32 and wireless zones from 38-64. 33-37 are unused, but could be used for future wireless zones.

Yes, I integrated them into the panel. They are still connected to Arduino pins as well as the DSC panel, but I only use the panel zones. I wired them with resistors, just like a dry contact window sensor. I have a smoke, CO and flood zone.

The topography is simple. All of the detectors are 120V with a single interconnect wire that runs from one to the other and the relays. I ran 14-3 romex to all of them and put them on a dedicated circuit as recommended.

Mine are all Kidde interconnected. When one is tripped, they all squawk. Some are smoke only, others are CO/smoke, 2 heat detectors (attic and garage) and one is CO only (basement boiler room). I use a Kidde CO120X (CO relay) and SM120X (smoke relay) to interface the connected detectors to the panel. I can't see any way these wired devices can be "supervised", other than to detect a wiring problem, which NC contacts and a resistor will achieve. The flood detectors are wired directly to the panel as well as an Arduino pin to control the water valve. There is a failsafe relay driven by an Arduino "alive" pin to allow direct control of the water valve in the event the Arduino board is not connected to HomeSeer for any reason.
        Thanks Randy. I expect I will have a few follow up questions, but thank you for confirming all the above.
        cheeryfool

Comment

Randy

I am just implementing broadly this solution. I bought 1 x RF-SM-ACDC, several RF-SM-DC and the SM120X. The ACDC model bridges the wired to wireless interconnect, which is useful in my house where I have a couple of existing hardwired smokes and lots of battery ones.

I do have one quick question. On the SM120x I will wire the black/white to 120v and the red to the red interconnect on the RF-SM-ACDC. For the NC I presume I run the yellow to a spare panel zone and the blue to com, leaving the gray and orange capped?
          cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
            Randy

I am just implementing broadly this solution. I bought 1 x RF-SM-ACDC, several RF-SM-DC and the SM120X. The ACDC model bridges the wired to wireless interconnect, which is useful in my house where I have a couple of existing hardwired smokes and lots of battery ones.

I do have one quick question. On the SM120x I will wire the black/white to 120v and the red to the red interconnect on the RF-SM-ACDC. For the NC I presume I run the yellow to a spare panel zone and the blue to com, leaving the gray and orange capped?
            Yes, that is correct. Blue is common, yellow is for N.C.. Orange is N.O. and gray is a 9V output - both are unused.

Comment

Yes, that is correct. Blue is common, yellow is for N.C.. Orange is N.O. and gray is a 9V output - both are unused.

Thank you
              cheeryfool

Comment

cheeryfool

Comment

Yes, the signals go down the red wire and are different for CO and smoke.

Comment

Yes, the signals go down the red wire and are different for CO and smoke.
                    cheeryfool

Comment

Working...
                    X