Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garage door - Alarm control event help....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garage door - Alarm control event help....

Hello,

I am a newbie Homeseer user, migrating from Veralite (due to so many bugs ), however I am having a hard time trying to understand the conditional events process with HS3. ( BTW, I am using an EVL3 and Vista 20P alarm panel with 4204 Relay Board to control the garage door open/close function .... )

My quest is to create 2 manually triggered events -

- Disarm Alarm / Open Garage Door

- Close Garage Door / Arm Alarm

After reviewing the many message board posts, I understand that HomeSeer will ignore conditions in events that are called from another event, but not sure how to create separate events that use manual triggering.

Sorry, but my skills in HS3 code are minimal..... and I realize that this home automation is rather complicated unless you are just turning lights on and off with Alexa. Likewise, the tutorial information from Homeseer is minimal at best for those not expert in HS3 and Linux.

Here are attached files of flow-charts describing the 2 events --

Any help or guidance would be appreciated..

Thanks,
    Jack
    Attached Files

I don't think it's true that HS3 will ignore conditions on nested events. I have conditions that are honored on such events. If the conditions weren't honored then nested events would be almost useless.

When you create a nested event make sure the first condition is that it is manually triggered. So that way it only runs if it's called from the parent event.

You definitely don't need to know Linux or do any scripting to create the events you described.

Comment

Originally posted by chargernut69 View Post
      Hello,

I am a newbie Homeseer user, migrating from Veralite (due to so many bugs ), however I am having a hard time trying to understand the conditional events process with HS3. ( BTW, I am using an EVL3 and Vista 20P alarm panel with 4204 Relay Board to control the garage door open/close function .... )

My quest is to create 2 manually triggered events -

- Disarm Alarm / Open Garage Door

- Close Garage Door / Arm Alarm

After reviewing the many message board posts, I understand that HomeSeer will ignore conditions in events that are called from another event, but not sure how to create separate events that use manual triggering.

Sorry, but my skills in HS3 code are minimal..... and I realize that this home automation is rather complicated unless you are just turning lights on and off with Alexa. Likewise, the tutorial information from Homeseer is minimal at best for those not expert in HS3 and Linux.

Here are attached files of flow-charts describing the 2 events --

Any help or guidance would be appreciated..

Thanks,
      Jack
      When you call another event from an event, HA ALWAYS ignores the Trigger and will ignore the Conditions by default. There is an advanced option for the action "Run Another Event" which will cause the Conditions in the called event to be observed. That option is accessed by clicking on the red icon with the symbol and selecting "Run Only if Other Event Conditions are True". You can read more about it in this thread.

The Trigger in the called event is ignored, no matter what Trigger is used.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=193255
        Originally posted by rprade View Post
        When you call another event from an event, HA ALWAYS ignores the Trigger and will ignore the Conditions by default. There is an advanced option for the action "Run Another Event" which will cause the Conditions in the called event to be observed. That option is accessed by clicking on the red icon with the symbol and selecting "Run Only if Other Event Conditions are True". You can read more about it in this thread.

The Trigger in the called event is ignored, no matter what Trigger is used.
        The thing that I believe confuses people the most is just what is a trigger and what is a condition. I've found the simplest way to know is that all conditions start with:

"IF This event is MANUALLY triggered" followed by one or more "AND IF" conditions.

Second, Both triggers and conditions can be included in the same event by starting another one with a "OR IF"

Here is an example of both triggers and conditions combined.
        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
        Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
        Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
        3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
        4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
        3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
        SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

Originally posted by Timon View Post
          https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=193255
          The thing that I believe confuses people the most is just what is a trigger and what is a condition. I've found the simplest way to know is that all conditions start with:

"IF This event is MANUALLY triggered" followed by one or more "AND IF" conditions.

Second, Both triggers and conditions can be included in the same event by starting another one with a "OR IF"

Here is an example of both triggers and conditions combined.
          This is really not correct. As I replied in your other thread: If a line starts with "IF" or "OR IF" it is a Trigger. OR IF is a secondary Trigger sharing sharing common Actions.

If a line starts with "AND IF" it is a Condition. The Condition is Always attached to a Trigger and only applies to the Trigger (IF or OR IF) immediately above it.

If a line starts with Then it is an Action.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

... all this makes sense for conditions that already exist (time is 6pm, motion detected, etc. where the event can be running all the time), but how do I manually trigger an event like this one ?

In this case I am sending an open/close command to the overhead garage door opener, and need to 1st determine the state of the garage door (using door mag. switch device), and 2nd the alarm panel condition (alarm on / off) before I can start the event. This gets tricky since I don't want to open the door before alarm is disabled, otherwise it goes off !

Both conditions need to be checked, before I can command the door, but for the life of me I can't understand how to do it using Manual Trigger

Comment

Working...
            X