Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mini-blind control

Hi all,

So I know there have been a variety of long, storied threads on this topic... but I remain kinda confused.

I have the kind of blinds in the (terrible quality) picture below. I'm most interested in a tilt function, but raising them would be OK too.

There are a lot of people who use the word "blinds" to refer to roller curtains, or tubular motors... in my neck of the woods, "blinds" refers only to the kind in the picture, or to vertical blinds. Since I don't have a lot of knowledge of these things, maybe it is just me.

In all of my forum travels, I've seen a TON of options that control motors -- Somfy, ESI, RollerTrol, the elusive Cooper Shade Control module, even more basic DIY options like using an Arduino with the HS plugin.

But what about the motor/module itself, for this kind of window treatment? And how would you get these devices to connect to such a motor?

What kind of setups do any of you guys have for this? I'm looking to avoid "high DIY" on this -- no soldering, as little wire twisting as I can avoid... batteries are OK.

And I'd like to avoid spending hundreds to control some blinds, if that is possible. Maybe 5 years ago there were no "cheap" solutions... I'm hoping that has changed now - ?

Thanks for any help!!
    Attached Files

Have you seen this comparison?
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Thanks, Uncle Mike! I hadn't seen that particular comparison page before (and it looks like great information). I've seen the Kickstarter for the blind closers before, but it looks like they're still under development or otherwise not available.

However, one of the links there did lead me to a guy who did some great work with Arudinos and motors. I know I said that "heavy DIY" was not preferable... but I think I'm starting to learn that working with blinds HAS to be "DIY" to some extent because they are all so different in their designs and mechanisms.

Here's the link I was talking about:
      https://homeawesomation.wordpress.co...-with-arduino/

My blinds are a little different from his, but not much. The only thing is, I can't turn the bar with my fingers. The little white plastic thing works fine, but the bar doesn't seem to want to turn. I'm not particularly mechanical, though, so...

Maybe somebody has done this already with blinds just like mine and has a word or 2 of wisdom!
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X