Delayed events/event actions stop after 14 days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delayed events/event actions stop after 14 days

Since upgrading to 3.0.0.297, after HS3 has been running for 14/15 days, any delayed event actions or delayed events are not actioned. This has happened 3 times now since I upgraded and HS3 has never lasted beyond this point. To fix, HS needs to be restarted.

Is anyone else seeing this?

When it's in this state, there is no "Delayed Events" or "Delayed Actions" groups on the Events page.

The last time this happened I was away and reluctant to restart so left it and almost exactly 24 hours (as near as I can tell), ALL events stopped trigerring. I was able to trigger an event using the web UI but attempting to trigger via HSTouch client app didn't work. Again, a HS restart resolved it.

Seems strange that it's always 14/15 days. I've raised a help ticket as I couldn't see any similar one outstanding. It's obviously pretty fundamental functionality to lose, so worried to going away for any period of time with it in this state.

Cheers,
    John

Originally posted by JimBob View Post
    Since upgrading to 3.0.0.297, after HS3 has been running for 14/15 days, any delayed event actions or delayed events are not actioned. This has happened 3 times now since I upgraded and HS3 has never lasted beyond this point. To fix, HS needs to be restarted.

When it's in this state, there is no "Delayed Events" or "Delayed Actions" groups on the Events page.

The last time this happened I was away and reluctant to restart so left it and almost exactly 24 hours (as near as I can tell), ALL events stopped trigerring. I was able to trigger an event using the web UI but attempting to trigger via HSTouch client app didn't work. Again, a HS restart resolved it.

Seems strange that it's always 14/15 days. I've raised a help ticket as I couldn't see any similar one outstanding. It's obviously pretty fundamental functionality to lose, so worried to going away for any period of time with it in this state.

Cheers,
    John

To start off your HomeSeer version seems to be the latest.

Now I assume you are running Windows. If so then update the .NET Framework to the latest version. While at it update your HSTouch designer to the one from here :http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=180150 , Update HSTouch server to the one in the beta section from the updater.

And of course update your HSTouch clients to the latest versions. Don't forget to restart everything.

Note : USE YOUR LOCAL IP in the HSTouch designer and not MyHs
    Also check the Task Manager to see what's eating up the CPU resources! (could be a script you are running)

If the problems persist it could be the way you stractured your events.
    For problem events contact Randy Prade here :Event Clinic

Eman.
    TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions.

Originally posted by Eman View Post
      To start off your HomeSeer version seems to be the latest.

Now I assume you are running Windows. If so then update the .NET Framework to the latest version. While at it update your HSTouch designer to the one from here :http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=180150 , Update HSTouch server to the one in the beta section from the updater.
      .NET is upto date. I don't use HSTouch designer. I was referring to the free Android HSTouch app that comes with HS3. I mentioned the inability to fire the events via HSTouch by way of additional information to the real problem, where first delayed events and later ALL events stop firing when their trigger conditions are met.

If the problems persist it could be the way you stractured your events.
      For problem events contact Randy Prade here :Event Clinic

Eman.
      The events look ok. They have been operating ok in HS3 for 18 months, until this latest release. A delayed event action is pretty standard functionality.

Thanks again,
      John

Comment

Originally posted by JimBob View Post

Cheers,
        John
        Mine has been up for over 30 days without issue, so I don't think the problem is baked into HS3.

Since it runs for a couple of weeks before the problem surfaces, I doubt it is a database problem. Since it gets rapidly worse after the point where it first begins, the first suspect would be excessive CPU or memory usage. Is there a chance you have some means of monitoring those. Jon00 has a useful performance monitoring script that gives you charting devices to look at your system resources.

I would be inclined to create specific test events that create and log a delayed device action and a delayed event doing the same. Then you could monitor that those events are being created and run, notifying you when they fail. If you do that every few minutes, you would have a clear indication when the problem surfaces and might be able to see spikes in CPU or memory or log entries that might give you a clue.

When I was having problems of HS locking up after about 10 days a couple of years ago, I created an event to restart HomeSeer on Fridays at midnight. The problem was finally resolved with an update (I don't remember if it was Z-Wave or core program), but until it was resolved, the restarts kept HS running.
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thanks Randy. Good to know it can run > 14 days ;-)

Some good suggestions there. When it was in this state, cpu usage was certainly higher than normal but still only about 60% and certainly not pegged. Memory and IO rates looked normal too.

I probably will do what you say, creating a test repeating event with delayed actions, so I can get a more accurate timing for when it occurs. I suspect I will have to go through several more "14 day cycles" to see if there is a pattern and to try and pin it down. It must be some kind of locking of the event engine, maybe specific to my configuration. Certainly a bug but one that only exhibits itself in a particular scenario.

Thanks.

Comment

I would do a .net repair just to make sure there are no issues with it. I had some strange issues with delayed events and actions on my previous system. I since upgraded to brand new hardware and os (including .net), copied my hs3 files over and those issues disappeared and I regularly exceed 30+ days between restarts (which I do for other reasons). If the repair does not work, do you have another system you can try it on?

Cheers
            Al
            HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
            Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Thanks AL, perhaps it's worth a .NET repair then. Will look into that tonight.

I do have another system I could use, not exactly in the right place so would involve a bit of re-arrangement. It might be worth the effort as that would at least tell me if it's environmental.

Like you I was regularly getting 30+ days uptime, only stopped manually by myself for one reason or another. It did start after the upgrade to 297 and can't recall any system updates I did around that time.

Cheers,
              John

Comment

So where are you with this?
                I go about 8 days before my delayed action events stop.

The delayed events that were created by HS never fired and are still in the delayed events folder.
                It stopped last night and checking this morning, I have events that were created but never executed.
                Dan-O
                HomeSeer contributor since summer 1999, yes 1999!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan-O View Post
                  So where are you with this?
                  I go about 8 days before my delayed action events stop.

The delayed events that were created by HS never fired and are still in the delayed events folder.
                  It stopped last night and checking this morning, I have events that were created but never executed.
                  I am currently running a test version of HS3 (301), which Rich produced for another user having similar issues. This seems to have resolved the issue, although still to get a long run (due to having to restart HS for other reasons).

The steps I have taken to get to this point:
                  I setup another system using different hardware. The issue was replicated on this, so discounted environment as the cause.

I setup a test event setting a virtual device on and having a delayed action to turn it off. This allowed me to pinpoint the start of the issue down to 30 seconds. This increased the frequency of the issue occurring, so I suspect is related to a certain number of events/events actions. Before loading v301, the issue was occurring every 4-5 days. If I increased the frequency of this test event, the period for the issue occurring decreased. Likewise, when I decreased the frequency of the event, the uptime increased!

My symptoms were a little different to yours though. The delayed actions/events didn't appear at all in the events list. They were simply never created. I loaded Jon00 performance monitor script and could see about the time of the issue, the available threads decreased until zero were available. HS3 then increased CPU usage to about 60%.

Maybe try the test build also and see if it helps for you.
                  It's attached to the bugzilla issue :
                  http://bugzilla.homeseer.com/bugzill...ug.cgi?id=3372

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
                    I will see if I can find the beta since the Bugzilla won't let me see your request.

Dan
                    Dan-O

Comment

Originally posted by Dan-O View Post
                      Thanks for the reply.
                      I will see if I can find the beta since the Bugzilla won't let me see your request.

Dan
                      Hi Dan,
                      You just need to create a bugzilla account to view it.

Just checked the link and it's the public area so I don't think pasting it here is an issue:
                      http://homeseer.com/updates3/HS3_301.zip

John

Comment

Thanks John.
                        Dan-O

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                          I created an event to restart HomeSeer on Fridays at midnight. The problem was finally resolved with an update (I don't remember if it was Z-Wave or core program), but until it was resolved, the restarts kept HS running.
                          Hi Randy, What do you use to automatically restart? I tried the restart plugin, but it usually hangs for me.

Comment

One Change, One Test:

I updated the .NET last week to the latests and greatest with no good change. I had to restart today.

I have now installed 304 to see how that goes.
                            Dan-O

Comment

I don't want to jinx myself, but I'm coming up on 2 weeks without a glitch.

It's been months since my system has gone more than 7 days without a forced restart to get events working.
                              Dan-O

Comment

Working...
                              X