This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Create Icons that Flash in HSTouch & HS3

If you've ever wanted to display a flashing status graphic in HSTouch but couldn't because animated gifs are not supported, here's a method that will allow you to do just that!

In a nutshell, you need to do the following:
    1. Create a "virtual" status device that will function as the graphic indicator
    2. Associate the values of this device with the graphics you wish to display
    3. Create a recurring event that cycles between the graphics you wish to flash when your "real" device is in a specific state
    4. Create a separate event that restores the indicator back to the non-flashing state when your real device is restored to its "normal" state.

This video describes the process in greater detail:

Last edited by macromark; May 11, 2015, 12:11 PM.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

BTW, if anyone has a better method for doing this, don't hesitate to post it. Just don't show me up too badly!

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
      BTW, if anyone has a better method for doing this, don't hesitate to post it. Just don't show me up too badly!
      OK, out of interest my way of achieving this is slightly different and NOT simpler but may or may not be better (probably not). The reason I do it differently is because I have an irrational aversion to continuously recurring triggers of a few seconds. I know the event doesn't actually trigger unless the condition is true but HS is checking every 4 seconds to see if it should run the event. So, I use a timer to trigger the blinking which is only started when the real device is set to ON. This method actually reveals a little bug in HS which I will report on in a bugzilla.

Instead of 2 events this way requires 3 events.

1st Event 'Blinking On' is triggered by the real device changing to ON. The actions are:
      Start a timer called 'Blink'
      Set indicator device to Red

2nd Event 'Blinking Off' is triggered by the real device changing to OFF.
      The actions are:
      Stop the timer 'Blink'
      Set indicator device to Green

The 3rd event, which does the flashing, 'Blink' is triggered by timer 'Blink' becoming 4 seconds (See note on bug below).
      The actions are:
      Set indicator device to Yellow
      Wait 2 seconds
      Set indicator device to Red
      Restart Timer

Ideally this event would be set to trigger on the timer becoming 2 seconds. However testing reveals that the timer is restarted when the event fires not when it should do after the 2 second wait. If you set it to 2 secs it won't re-fire because it has already reached 2 again when the event completes. By setting it to 4 seconds you get a longer pause for the first change from red to yellow then it continues blinking at 2 second intervals.

Whether there is any difference to the overheads on HS3 using this method I don't know. It certainly would be insignificant for one device but I am setting it up for a number of motion sensors as I like the 'Motion' graphic to flash.

Another little observation, is there any reason for the second 2 second wait at the end of your ' Set garage door indicator to flash..' event? It appears superfluous.

Steve

Comment

I don't. See the video that your referring macromark...
        Hector
        MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
        AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Another way is with ClientAction commands that alternate two or more stacked elements' visibility parameters. I use that on occasion to give a button the appearance of flashing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
            I don't. See the video that your referring macromark...
            http://youtu.be/aFTLLgg6FAU?list=UUu...pm8k-JJz-BovWg

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post
              Another little observation, is there any reason for the second 2 second wait at the end of your ' Set garage door indicator to flash..' event? It appears superfluous.

Steve
              not sure I understand. the event actions continuously cycle if the trigger is true.

change to yellow
              wait 2 seconds
              change to red
              wait 2 seconds
              (repeat)

If I remove the second wait, the icon will immediately change to yellow after changing to red. You might not even see it.

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                not sure I understand. the event actions continuously cycle if the trigger is true.

change to yellow
                wait 2 seconds
                change to red
                wait 2 seconds
                (repeat)

If I remove the second wait, the icon will immediately change to yellow after changing to red. You might not even see it.
                But the event fires again due to the time trigger, i.e. every 4 seconds, it doesn't matter when it ends. Try deleting the last wait and I'm sure it will make no difference.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                X