Synology NAS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synology NAS

I have been thinking about setting up a NAS for sometime.
    I think that Synology is the right choice but I am unsure of which one to get?

https://www.synology.com/en-us/

My main requirements:

i) Server for Logitech Media Server;
    (https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/a.../SqueezeCenter)
    ii) File storage (mostly files & music (FLACs);
    iii) Possibly IP Cameras (3-5).

Any thoughts?

DSteiNeuro
    DSteiNeuro

HS3Pro

MSI Cubi Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 16GB DDRl RAM

Enabled Plug-Ins
    BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, JowiHue, MyQ, Nest, Rain8, Squeezebox, Ultra1Wire3, UltraGCIR3, Vista Alarm, X10,Z-Wave

I use the DS1513+, with 16TB of storage. Absolutely love it.
    Mike

Comment

I use the DS1815+ and love it as well. I have several IP cameras and the synology does a good job with them. Very usable interface and lots and lots of features and functionality.

Comment

I have a 2413+ and 1211 expansion bay. The 2413+ is loaded with 12x4 TB WD RED drives and the 1211 is loaded with 12x6 TB WD RED drives for a total of 120 TB total raw storage. Formatted Raid 6 with a hot spare costs me a few drives in each chassis, but the data security is worth it. (keep reading)

Great devices...very stable....very quiet..... just stay on top of OS updates and reboot it once in a while.

Their support is horrific. I rebooted it and 3 drives failed (despite passing weekly drive tests). I had everything backed up so there was no risk of data loss but the data was still accessible (read only (Score one for Raid 6)). I decided to add the expansion chassis and copied everything over to it. Their support took over 2 weeks to get back to me on the issue and ultimately declared it be an unrecoverable drive failure. (It had been running almost a year with no reboots so the logs got big). Their suggestion was to replace the drives.

I yanked the three "suspect" drives and ran them through a battery of tests, all passed with perfect scores, so I ended up reinstall and reformatting the volume with the same drives and it's been running every since. The issues may have ben due to the 11 months of running without a restart. I now do them monthly. Be sure to buy a smart UPS (APC). The NAS will shut itself down if it needs to.

I run LMS from my main server (same one that runs HS and Blue Iris). It serves music files (300,000) from it's own local disk, but is backed up to the NAS.
        My home is smarter than your honor roll student.

Comment

Thanks, looks like the DS1815+ will fit the bill. The good news is that the HDs are so cheap!
          I can finally stop buying external drives and use the ones that I have as redundant offsite backup.
          DSteiNeuro

HS3Pro

MSI Cubi Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 16GB DDRl RAM

Enabled Plug-Ins
          BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, JowiHue, MyQ, Nest, Rain8, Squeezebox, Ultra1Wire3, UltraGCIR3, Vista Alarm, X10,Z-Wave

Comment

One more thing that you might want to consider.....I think Synology locks you into a 64K cluster size.... little files chew up disk. Not so much an issue with FLAC / AIFF for music , but small data files are a bummer.

Buy more than you can imagine needing.... (Hi Res 192/24 Flac files can be 200mb each)
            My home is smarter than your honor roll student.

Comment

I also keep a second Synology at a buddy's house as my own personal cloud backup of critical files (should my house burn down or the Synology gets stolen). Synology has an automated backup function from unit to unit. Encryped transfers, plus encrypted files on the destination, mean even if the unit at my buddy's house gets stolen the data is fairly protected. I've been bumped off of several cloud services that offer 'unlimited' backup once they see the size of my backups - go figure. Turns out for me in the long run it's a cheaper solution than paying for cloud services.
              Mike

Comment

You can also build your own. I run xpenology in vmware. Synology is a very feature rich NAS platform. Lots of add-ins.

Comment

Here I DIY'd my last NAS box around 2012. Thinking my total cost was maybe a bit less than $500 (sans drives).

I put it in a mini 8 drive case with a mITX board and a bios modded IBM Serveraid M1015 SAS/SATA Controller 46M0831 which now an LSi 8 port raid card. (easy to swap out the IBM bios for the LSi bios on the raid card).

There is room for 2 more 2.5" drives inside of the case.

With 8 4Tb drives you can have a 32Tb NAS.

Currently utilizing NAS4Free as an OS for the NAS box.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Pete; October 27, 2015, 08:17 PM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

i love my synology, unlike most companies they regularly release new features and software updates that will work with even the old models so they are not obsolete until you run out of space or the device is just so old it is too slow to run the new features

Comment

I have read a few posts relating to the installation of Synology DSM on any computer. It does work.

I am not sure of the advantages of DSM over Linux/BSD stuff though.

There are two ways to do this; one is using a boot USB stick image and the other way is ESXi.
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I have read somewhere too that HDHomerun is going to be releasing NVR software for their wares that'll run on the Synology NAS.

I was playing with their new TV software to access their stuff yesterday. It is nice. They have also release a KODI plugin to watch live TV directly from the HDHomerun devices. Well too software for the Android / Windows stuff to live view the HDHomerun devices.

Here been moving away from recording stuff with my MythTV box and just mostly doing on demand via the internet.

Not worth the efforts or storage anymore.

I still keep movies, music and pictures on my NAS boxes but seldom watch the videos kept on the NAS boxes.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                        X