Nest Occupancy Status Change to "Any Value"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nest Occupancy Status Change to "Any Value"

I've noticed some unique behavior with the Nest Plug-in on how it is reporting its Occupancy Status. Let me explain how I came to see the possible behavior.

First, I use a Virtual Device to set the Occupancy Status of the house as follows:
    Home Occupancy Status = Home | Away | Auto-Away | Vacation | Unknown

Next, this Virtual Device works in concert with the Nest Occupancy Status. The Nest Occupancy Status has the following values:
    Nest Occupancy Status = Home | Away | Auto-Away | Unknown

I then have various Virtual Devices that are what I call "Smart Settings" that control how the house behaves based on when we come home, go to sleep, or have guests staying over, etc. These Smart Settings are integrated into many other HomeSeer events. Some of these Smart Settings are as follows:
    Occupancy Status - Guest Bedroom = Occupied | Vacant
    Good Night with Master Bed Fan = Enabled | Disabled
    Auto-lock Kitchen Door = Manual | Auto-lock 10m
    Lock Kitchen Door when in Away Mode = Enabled | Disabled
    Away Ghost = Enabled | Disabled
    Return Home Family Room Fan = Enabled | Disabled

I also have an event that will reset many of the Smart Settings to their default settings when the Home Occupancy Status goes into Vacation. The event is: Default Occupancy Status Vacation - reset default smart settings. Because of this, I noticed some unique behavior between HomeSeer and the Nest Plug-in.

I then have a Pushover message that is sent if any of my Smart Settings change or if the Nest Occupancy Status changes to Any Value.

Now that I've explained all of that ... I've noticed that the Pushover message is being sent with the following event logic:
    IF Climate Nest Florida [Nest Status] Nest Occupancy Status changes and becomes Any Value
    or IF Smart Setting XXXX changes and becomes Any Value
    Then Send Pushover Message

I noticed that every few minutes the Pushover event would run. I had to change the Next Occupancy Status as follows in the event:
    IF Climate Nest Florida [Nest Status] Nest Occupancy Status changes and becomes Unknown
    or IF Climate Nest Florida [Nest Status] Nest Occupancy Status changes and becomes Home
    or IF Climate Nest Florida [Nest Status] Nest Occupancy Status changes and becomes Away
    or IF Climate Nest Florida [Nest Status] Nest Occupancy Status changes and becomes Auto-Away
    or IF Smart Setting XXXX changes and becomes Any Value

I cannot see what the Nest Occupancy Status must be doing. But, it appears that HomeSeer thinks it is changing, even though it is not changing. I have confirmed this as a problem when I created an event that ONLY had the following:
    IF Climate Nest Florida [Nest Status] Nest Occupancy Status changes and becomes Any Value

In the above example, the event would run every few minutes even though I did not change anything in the system. The Nest does not show any changes in the log file.

Is there a possible bug in how the Nest Plug-in interacts with HomeSeer? Is this unique to my system?

Note: I have tried using just had its value set or changed as well. It causes the same problem.

System Profile
    Current Date/Time: 12/11/2016 2:09:33 PM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.297
    Linux version: Linux hometrollerSEL 3.16.0-031600-generic #201408031935 SMP Sun Aug 3 23:56:17 UTC 2014 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux System Uptime: 0 Days 8 Hours 58 Minutes 25 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.2.123
    Number of Devices: 423
    Number of Events: 405
    Available Threads: 199

Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.20.0: BLOccupied
    3.0.0.68: HSTouch Server
    3.0.0.13: ImperiHome
    1.0.16323.357: MyQ
    3.0.0.19: Nest
    0.0.0.22: Pushover 3P
    3.0.6159.37431: UltraNetatmo3
    3.0.1.87: Z-Wave
    Last edited by TimSRQ; December 11, 2016, 02:50 PM. Reason: [B]Note:[/B] I have tried using [B]just had its value set or changed[/B]. as well. It causes the same problem.

I think this is a bug in HS3, the trigger "status changes and becomes Any Value" does not honor the "changes" part, the trigger is fired even if the device value is set to the same value.

A possible workaround is to use the "This device values was and becomes" from the EasyTrigger plugin:

"This device value was Any value and becomes Any value"

This one will fire only if the value actually change

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to do a work-around by just being very specific in my event if statements:
      IF Climate Nest Florida [Nest Status] Nest Occupancy Status changes and becomes Unknown
      or IF Climate Nest Florida [Nest Status] Nest Occupancy Status changes and becomes Home
      or IF Climate Nest Florida [Nest Status] Nest Occupancy Status changes and becomes Away
      or IF Climate Nest Florida [Nest Status] Nest Occupancy Status changes and becomes Auto-Away
      By the way, I have recently noticed that the Status of Nest can actually change from Away to Home to Auto-Away. In fact, it just did at 9:04pm ET tonight. Since they added the "Eco" features, the behavior has been off. And, this appears to be Nest's issues not your plug-in.

Specifically, it did the following:
      Away @ 3:12pm ET [manually set by me]
      Home @ 8:52pm ET [nest did changed this]
      Auto-away @ 9:02pm ET [nest changed this]
      I thought it was odd that it went into Auto-away after 9pm ET.
      Last edited by TimSRQ; December 11, 2016, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X