Egigeozone Reliability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Egigeozone Reliability

Who else is using Egigeozone as a geofence and/or tracker and how is it working for you?

I chose it because it appeared to be the only plugin supported Android app that did both fencing and tracking. So far, it seems to work OK when I'm moving from place to place, but keeps giving me false near/not near status when I'm actually sitting static "near."

Is anyone else seeing this? It could be because of my cheap phone (LG Tribute 2 / LS665). It happens at home and at work when the phone is just sitting there. There's no predictability; it might change near/not near every couple of minutes or go for hours without changing. All my geofences are at least 500m.
    John
    Hardware: i5-6400T w/16GB RAM & SSD w/HS3Pro, Z-Net, Harmony Hub x2, Echo Dot x2, Ocelot
    Plugins: Z-wave, HSTouch, BLBackup, Harmony, GTS CPUXA, UltraMon3, Nest
    HSTouch: Multiple Android Devices; 5 x ToteVision MD-1001 10.1" Win 7 Tablets
    Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3

Originally posted by jrfuda View Post
    Who else is using Egigeozone as a geofence and/or tracker and how is it working for you?

I chose it because it appeared to be the only plugin supported Android app that did both fencing and tracking. So far, it seems to work OK when I'm moving from place to place, but keeps giving me false near/not near status when I'm actually sitting static "near."

Is anyone else seeing this? It could be because of my cheap phone (LG Tribute 2 / LS665). It happens at home and at work when the phone is just sitting there. There's no predictability; it might change near/not near every couple of minutes or go for hours without changing. All my geofences are at least 500m.
    I haven't used egigeozone since before it only did fences, but I have some suggestions that maybe you can ask the developer to implement:

Maybe add "wifi" SSID so that when connected to a certain SSID it means you are in a certain fence. I know some devices turn off wifi after a while to save battery, so this may not be a great option after all.

Don't update fences if the phone hasn't physically moved. I used a plugin on the vera (veraProximity) where the developer did this to limit false changes. Basically as long as the phone hasn't moved, there is no way the phone could have passed the fence. And when I say move, I don't mean GPS location, but using the other sensors in the phone (like accelerator) to determine actual movement of the device, not it's position.

Unfortunately though, depending on the size of your fence and your phone being inside. This may just happen from time to time. Since GPS is so poor inside, the accuracy is pretty bad and you can shift around a lot.

Comment

Occasionally (once in 2-3 months), I'll see those ghost fence entries/exits.

My major issue is my wife's phone (S5). EgiGeoZone (2.5.8, using PathSense) worked great for months, then I started seeing messages on her phone about not being able to communicate, caching the request for later, but it never does complete. My phone (S4) consistently works fine.

Cellular is obviously working and the phone is set to flip cell-wifi, which works just fine with other apps. Haven't yet had time to further investigate.

Comment

My experience is that geofencing is much less reliable on Android 6 than on 5 and earlier and I'm led to believe that this is primarily down to the battery saving features of 6.x.

That said, the latest beta of EgiGeoZone does work on my 6.0.1 device using Pathsense but fence status change updates are sometimes slow to be detected.

Unless I'm mistaken, your device is a 5.x so this shouldn't be an issue.

The issue of jumping in and out of geofences is well known. Here in the UK a cell tower derived location will typically have an accuracy of 1500 to 2000 metres whilst Wifi may be as low as 10 metres and GPS even lower.

So, If your phone is jumping between WiFi and low accuracy cell tower locations and you have a 500 metre radius set, then you will see this problem.

EgiGeozone allows you to enter a minimum accuracy for a location report to trigger it. If you set that to the same value as your radius, does it reduce / stop the invalid updates?

Are you running the release or beta of EGI?

Paul..

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I'll try another app and see if its the app or just my phone.

My phone stays plugged in, in my car when I'm at work as we cannot have personal electronic devices in the building where I work (thank goodness for tasker to forward SMS, missed calls, etc), so my phone is static, not near any wifi what so ever and charging, so there should be nothing going on to make it think it's moving, change signal strength or anything else.

Of course, when I'm home, it's usually in a leg pocket (usually wearing cargo/carpenter pants/shorts when home), so it's probably getting jostled and switching among my 3 APs and the cell tower, so I can see it being less reliable there. I wonder if I change it to use ONLY GPS instead of wifi and mobile networks for location if it would work better?
          John
          Hardware: i5-6400T w/16GB RAM & SSD w/HS3Pro, Z-Net, Harmony Hub x2, Echo Dot x2, Ocelot
          Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3

Comment

Originally posted by sooty View Post
            ...EgiGeozone allows you to enter a minimum accuracy for a location report to trigger it. If you set that to the same value as your radius, does it reduce / stop the invalid updates?

Are you running the release or beta of EGI?

Paul..
            I'll have to check the accuracy settings.

I'm running the latest release at it appeared to already support tracking, but I can try the beta.
            John

Comment

EgiGeoZone: why it won't send under Android 6.x if the device is sleeping

My experience is that geofencing is much less reliable on Android 6 than on 5 and earlier and I'm led to believe that this is primarily down to the battery saving features of 6.x....Paul
              I'm pointing to a post in the EgiGeoZone forum here hoping this can help others not go through an insane amount of time as I did trying to figure out why their Android 6.x device doesn't send while on the move (because it's sleeping).

Comment

I think it's something with egigeozone and not my phone or the PHLocation plugin.

As a test, I created some location-based IFTTT Applets and tied them to HS events to change my location - home, work, kids school, various family members homes, etc, and it is working without issue. Using egigeozone would have me arriving and departing the same locations several times with me sitting static, so there's something going on with that software - or at least a combination of that software and my phone.

For now PHLocation is disabled (no dig against PHLocation) and egigeozone has been removed from my phone.

Next step is to see if I can an IFTTT account for my wife working with HS using the free MyHS access (different IFTTT accounts, same MyHS account).
                John

Comment

I think it's something with egigeozone and not my phone or the PHLocation plugin.

As a test, I created some location-based IFTTT Applets and tied them to HS events to change my location - home, work, kids school, various family members homes, etc, and it is working without issue. Using egigeozone would have me arriving and departing the same locations several times with me sitting static, so there's something going on with that software - or at least a combination of that software and my phone.

For now PHLocation is disabled (no dig against PHLocation) and egigeozone has been removed from my phone.

Next step is to see if I can an IFTTT account for my wife working with HS using the free MyHS access (different IFTTT accounts, same MyHS account).
                  Just so you know, and things may have changed since, I started out with IFTTT. It was so unreliable that I started looking for alternatives and ended up with PHLocation/EgiGeoZone.

Please tell us how things work out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by claude View Post
                    Just so you know, and things may have changed since, I started out with IFTTT. It was so unreliable that I started looking for alternatives and ended up with PHLocation/EgiGeoZone.

Please tell us how things work out for you.
                    I'm going to have to try something else. IFTTT has not fired off a location-based event on wither my or my wife's phone since January 12. Definitely something going on. My wife's phone even states that IFTT cannot access the location service when I try to define a fence in the app. I guess I'll be trying something else.
                    John

Comment

That said, the latest beta of EgiGeoZone does work on my 6.0.1 device using Pathsense
                      Paul..
                      Hey Paul, just looking into solutions for a Android 6.0.1 phone and come across this post (I posted my problems in another post in the general section a short while ago https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=188886)
                      Looks like you have a solution. I might try the PHLocation, EgiGeoZone route, and I tried to google pathsense. That looks good, but is that combo easy to set up or rather for a very experienced user only ?

Comment

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
                        Hey Paul, just looking into solutions for a Android 6.0.1 phone and come across this post (I posted my problems in another post in the general section a short while ago https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=188886)
                        Looks like you have a solution. I might try the PHLocation, EgiGeoZone route, and I tried to google pathsense. That looks good, but is that combo easy to set up or rather for a very experienced user only ?
                        Apologies for the delayed response. I've been away on holiday for a couple of weeks.

I've been using EgiGeoZone for a while now on Android versions 5, 6 and 7.
                        I did experience a few issues on 6 which I believe were related more to my device than the Egi app. After updating to Android 7 the app has been performing well here on the Geofencing side both using Google and Pathsense API's.

As to the complexity of setting up. I suppose that varies user to user.
                        On the plug-in side you have to add a new user type account for each device and assign the deviceID to each user. Once that's done, Geofence devices are automatically added to HS3 when they are first heard.

If you're struggling setting it up, drop me an email and I'll try and assist.

Paul..

Comment

Working...
                        X