Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with new install

Originally posted by sooty View Post
    I notice from your log that you have the bypass IP address range active. Switch this off to begin with. You will need to stop the http server, switch off then re-start the http server.

There are no files relating to the http processing. Its all done internally.

From a browser that is not on the same LAN as your HS3 machine (e.g. a mobile device connected only to 3/4G) try the following url

Code:
    http://yourdomain:8084/phlbackitude

You should be prompted for credentials. If so, then this indicates that the plug-in is listening on the chosen port. If you go ahead and enter the credentials you should see the "Error empty data string" message. This is normal.

If the above test works and you get the error message, then the issue is in the Backitude configuration. Make sure that the url is entered correctly including the http:// prefix.

Set debug level to 2 on the plug-in general config page then force an update from Backitude. You should see a whole lot of log activity as the plug-in processes the incoming data.

Email me the resulting logs and I'll take a look.

Paul..

Hello Paul,
    I have never used a DDNS before and am setting this up to work with Geofency and running into an issue. I apologize in advance if my explanation isn't using the proper terms.

In the PHLocation plugin:
    1) On the "Other" tab I have input a Listening Port: myport
    2) Input User Name & Password
    3) Made sure that "Allow auth bypass for IP range" is unchecked
    4) Toggled http server to "Running"

Forwarded Port in router:
    1) I forwarded the port number set in the plugin myport
    2) Randy mentioned adding a Firewall Rule - I googled it for my Netgear router and I think they call it "Adding a custom service". I added a custom service that uses the myport port.

Decided to use a DDNS service as Randy suggested:
    1) Set up host - http://myhost.mydomain.net pointing to the External IP address from the "About" screen in HS3 (IPv4)
    2) Type set to DNS Host A

In Geofency App:
    1) Added fence
    2) In the Webhook - URL http://myhost.mydomain.net:myport/phlgeofency
    3) POST Format set to Default
    4) Authentication - Double checked that I had login information correct. Retyped it in both the app and in the Plugin just to make sure

When I tested the webhook it timed out. I tried from a web browser as well and received the same timed out error. When I first tested the URL I used a work computer, but in order to rule out any issues with the work internet I connected through the 4G internet on my phone.

I've obviously set something up incorrectly due to my inexperience and understanding, so your assistance would be very much appreciated!
    Thank you!

Edit: Read in your User Guide to try the same URL on the same LAN to test if there is a blocked port on my router or computer, I will try this when I get home but that is the only test I haven't tried that I've read about thus far. I use a Hometroller, are there any issues there that might block a port?

Edit 2: Tried the URL while on my home LAN and still the same result. Any ideas what I haven't done correctly?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by The Profit; April 24, 2017, 06:36 PM.
    HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
    Plugin's:
    BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
    EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
    weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by The Profit View Post
      Hello Paul,
      I have never used a DDNS before and am setting this up to work with Geofency and running into an issue. I apologize in advance if my explanation isn't using the proper terms.

In the PHLocation plugin:
      1) On the "Other" tab I have input a Listening Port: myport
      2) Input User Name & Password
      3) Made sure that "Allow auth bypass for IP range" is unchecked
      4) Toggled http server to "Running"

Forwarded Port in router:
      1) I forwarded the port number set in the plugin myport
      2) Randy mentioned adding a Firewall Rule - I googled it for my Netgear router and I think they call it "Adding a custom service". I added a custom service that uses the myport port.

Decided to use a DDNS service as Randy suggested:
      1) Set up host - http://myhost.mydomain.net pointing to the External IP address from the "About" screen in HS3 (IPv4)
      2) Type set to DNS Host A

In Geofency App:
      1) Added fence
      2) In the Webhook - URL http://myhost.mydomain.net:myport/phlgeofency
      3) POST Format set to Default
      4) Authentication - Double checked that I had login information correct. Retyped it in both the app and in the Plugin just to make sure

When I tested the webhook it timed out. I tried from a web browser as well and received the same timed out error. When I first tested the URL I used a work computer, but in order to rule out any issues with the work internet I connected through the 4G internet on my phone.

I've obviously set something up incorrectly due to my inexperience and understanding, so your assistance would be very much appreciated!
      Thank you!

Edit: Read in your User Guide to try the same URL on the same LAN to test if there is a blocked port on my router or computer, I will try this when I get home but that is the only test I haven't tried that I've read about thus far. I use a Hometroller, are there any issues there that might block a port?

Edit 2: Tried the URL while on my home LAN and still the same result. Any ideas what I haven't done correctly?

What OS is your HS3 running on?

If possible, can you open a browser on the HS3 machine itself and try
      http://myhs3ipaddress:myport/phlgeofency

If you are prompted for credentials then this shows that the plug-in is listening on the selected port.

Assuming the 1st test works, try the same URL from another machine on the same LAN. If this does not work then it is likely a firewall issue on the HS3 machine itself.

Paul.

If you are not prompted

Comment

Originally posted by sooty View Post
        What OS is your HS3 running on?

If possible, can you open a browser on the HS3 machine itself and try

http://myhs3ipaddress:myport/phlgeofency

If you are prompted for credentials then this shows that the plug-in is listening on the selected port.

Assuming the 1st test works, try the same URL from another machine on the same LAN. If this does not work then it is likely a firewall issue on the HS3 machine itself.

Paul.

If you are not prompted

Hello Paul, it's running on Windows 7 embedded. I opened the google browser on the hometroller and put in the URL, same timed out error. Guessing this means it's not listening on the port? I disabled the plugin and restarted it and tried again but same result. Double checked that I'm using correct port number.
        I was working on this when you posted and I logged into the ddns website from my home troller which has a device configuration utility, according to it, the port isn't open. I'm guessing this is still my problem? I'm going to call Netgear tech support tomorrow to see if they can assist in opening the port correctly. Using the URL on the HS3 machine and getting this result doesn't necessarily mean the plugin isn't listening, correct? I'm thinking because the port is still closed, that is the problem?

Plugin's:

Comment

If you are ON the hometroller and HS3 is also ON the hometroller then port blocking isn't an issue as you're looping back to your own machine. It's only a problem if you're trying to get to it from a different machine on the network or outside of your LAN.

I'm not familiar with hometroller but if you're connected directly to it then the above should hold true.

mar

Comment

Originally posted by MarkJames View Post
            If you are ON the hometroller and HS3 is also ON the hometroller then port blocking isn't an issue as you're looping back to your own machine. It's only a problem if you're trying to get to it from a different machine on the network or outside of your LAN.

I'm not familiar with hometroller but if you're connected directly to it then the above should hold true.

mar

Ok, I realized that I was trying the incorrect URL which was why I was still getting the time out error. I used the myhost.mydomain.net:myport/phlgeofency which of course won't work for the reasons you stated. I tried the one that Paul suggested on my LAN and was able to get the User Name and Password prompt, which means his plugin is working perfectly. I had a IT friend double check my router settings and DDNS, everything is set correctly so he suggested calling my ISP because they sometimes block ports on their end. Calling them now and will update.

Plugin's:

Comment

It's unlikely that your ISP is blocking anything.

I'd try logging in to your router from outside the LAN - maybe tethering to your cellphone so you're on the cell network. There will be a port that your router defaults to for external access. On mine it's 8080 - it's also 8080 on Netgear and DLink. See if you can get that to work first. From there you can get your port forward set. If you can't get there browse to it on your internal LAN (192.168.0.1)? and make sure remote admin is enabled.

ISP's don't block ports (other than torrenting in years past which they actually throttled). Pretty much every piece of major software nowadays communicates with its home server (eg Adobe, Solidworks, etc) on some port or other.

A few things to check

First use a browser on your hometroller and browse to whatismyip.com That will tell you the outward facing IP you have. Next you should be able to browse to your HS3 from a different machine by typing in that IP (assuming you're running HS3 on the default port 80 and not using SSL which runs on 443). So if you go to a different machine and type in the URL window the IP you got from hometroller whatismyip.com you would type in like 70.82.143.604 and when you hit return your HS3 should come up.

Start there and work forwards.

mark

Comment

Originally posted by The Profit View Post
                Ok, I realized that I was trying the incorrect URL which was why I was still getting the time out error. I used the myhost.mydomain.net:myport/phlgeofency which of course won't work for the reasons you stated. I tried the one that Paul suggested on my LAN and was able to get the User Name and Password prompt, which means his plugin is working perfectly. I had a IT friend double check my router settings and DDNS, everything is set correctly so he suggested calling my ISP because they sometimes block ports on their end. Calling them now and will update.

It's doubtful that your ISP blocks 8256 if you are using the default port. Usually they will only block 80 and 443 incoming and 25 outgoing. There could be another thing at play - NAT reflection (hairpinning, loopback). Most consumer routers have this enabled by default, a few don't. My pfSense router needed to have it configured, it was not enabled by default. What this does is allow you to resolve your public IP from within your own network. You can search it and learn more about it technically, but the short version is that without NAT reflection you cannot reach your external IP and by extension your DDNS domain name from your local LAN. An easy way to test this is to turn your phone's WiFi off then try to browse to your domain or public IP. In your phones browser using cellular data, try http://myhost.mydomain.net:myport/phlgeofency. If that works, your port is open and port forwarding is correct, your router just doesn't support NAT reflection. It should be something you can enable.
                HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                  It's doubtful that your ISP blocks 8256 if you are using the default port. Usually they will only block 80 and 443 incoming and 25 outgoing. There could be another thing at play - NAT reflection (hairpinning, loopback). Most consumer routers have this enabled by default, a few don't. My pfSense router needed to have it configured, it was not enabled by default. What this does is allow you to resolve your public IP from within your own network. You can search it and learn more about it technically, but the short version is that without NAT reflection you cannot reach your external IP and by extension your DDNS domain name from your local LAN. An easy way to test this is to turn your phone's WiFi off then try to browse to your domain or public IP. In your phones browser using cellular data, try http://myhost.mydomain.net:myport/phlgeofency. If that works, your port is open and port forwarding is correct, your router just doesn't support NAT reflection. It should be something you can enable.

I'm using the default port 8256 and I've had an IT friend of mine check the settings in my router to make sure it was forwarding the port and he also added the port to not be blocked always. When I used the DDNS configure utility it would check the port and indicated it was still not open.

I tried Marks suggestions above, when I typed in www.whatismyip.com it gave me a very strange looking IP address that wasn't in the normal 70.XX.XX.XXX format. I'm guessing that the External IP that HS3 was giving me was correct as it was in the normal format. I was also able to log into my router from an external network.

I decided to try your idea of the NAT reflection in my Netgear router, according to the directions I found on the internet, I needed to switch Router Mode to "No" which would bridge my router. After I made that change and rebooted the router, I'm afraid I have a bigger problem, I no longer have an internet connection. When I check under "About" on HS3 it no longer lists an External IP.

Not sure how to get back into my router now to change the setting back to what it was...any idea?

Plugin's:

Comment

You don't want your router in bridged mode. That was a mistake.

If you can't browse back to your router you may have to hard reset it back to default it and then put it back the way it was.

First thing to try, though, is accessing it through wi-fi (if it has wifi) and see if it will let you in. If it does then you can take it out of bridged mode that way.

Your IP from whatismyip.com is definitely correct. It will just be in the format xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - not necessarily with the 70 in the first two digits (that's what mine is so I put that in) It should be the same as the WAN ip showing on the status page of your router.

You can try to find it on your network from any workstation connected to it by running advanced port scanner http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...t_scanner.html

If that works you can log into it and change it back.

I would bet, though, that you will have to reset it using the hard reset button

mark
                    Last edited by MarkJames; April 25, 2017, 09:52 PM.

Comment

You don't want your router in bridged mode. That was a mistake.

If you can't browse back to your router you may have to hard reset it back to default it and then put it back the way it was.

First thing to try, though, is accessing it through wi-fi (if it has wifi) and see if it will let you in. If it does then you can take it out of bridged mode that way.

Your IP from whatismyip.com is definitely correct. It will just be in the format xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - not necessarily with the 70 in the first two digits (that's what mine is so I put that in)

The other thing to try is instead of browsing to like 192.168.0.1 to access it browse to 192.168.100.1:8080

I would bet, though, that you will have to reset it using the hard reset button

mark

I tried all of your suggestions to get back into the router and couldn't so I've just reset the modem/router back to factory. I'm able to get back into the router and my external IP address according to HS3 is the same as before.

I just figured out that the strange IP address that I was getting with whatismyip.com on the hometroller was an IPv6 not IPv4 format. Is it possible that may be the problem?

Plugin's:

Comment

That's odd. I've never seen an ipv6 address for a domain. They're being rolled out but I've yet to see one. They're generally private addresses. I'm no expert so you'll have to find out for yourself about your ISP.

ipv4 addresses are xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
                        ipv6 are xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx

whatismyip.com is returning one in ipv6 format to you?

what is the WAN ip showing in your router status page? ipv4 or ipv6? It may be that I don't understand the way a hometroller works, too. I've never used one.

You're not behind a VPN are you? Is the HS3 behind the router? Or is it connected directly to the WAN?

mark

Comment

That's odd. I've never seen an ipv6 address for a domain. They're being rolled out but I've yet to see one. I'm no expert so you'll have to find out for yourself about your ISP.

ipv4 addresses are xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
                          ipv6 are xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx

whatismyip.com is returning one in ipv6 format to you?

what is the WAN ip showing in your router status page? ipv4 or ipv6?

mark

I'm on Time Warner Cable/Spectrum high speed 300 x 20 internet and I'm using a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 modem/router. It hands out both IPv4 & IPv6 IP's. The external IP showing in HS3 is an IPv4 but for some reason the whatismyip.com site is just showing the IPv6. I notice on the router remote management URL it provides both IPv4 & IPv6 URL's as options to use for remote router management.

The router status page shows the IPv4 IP address that was obtained from the ISP.

Plugin's:

Comment

The ipv4 is the one you use. ipv6 is, afaik, all for private addresses (like the 192.168.0.xxx your router has)

I can't understand why whatismyip.com is showing you an ipv6 though. I'm assuming your hometroller is plugged into your router or to a network switch that's then plugged into your router and not directly into the internet/cable modem.

Anyways...

If you type in your external ip do you browse to HS3? If not then you probably don't have port 80 and/or 443 forwarded. The only one, as rprade pointed out, that is likely blocked by your ISP is 25 - they don't like people running mail servers. I assume that on your HS3 setup/network page you have your server running on port 80? Let's get this working first.

First try to browse to your internal IP so you know the server is running - that will look something like http://192.168.xxx.xxx . It will start with 192.168. If you can log in to your hometroller and it's running some version of windows you can run a command prompt and type ipconfig /all - this will show you your internal IP. Or - you can just go to Windows explorer, right click the word network, hit properties, then go to 'change adapter settings' and when you see your ethernet adapter right click it, hit properties and then details.

Then try to browse to your external IP so you know that you have the right external IP and your forwarding works. That's the IP that your router has under WAN. This number is subject to change (the point of dynamic dns) but isn't gonna change in this kind of time frame. For all that it matters if you get this working you can use this number with phLocation for the custom URL address for the time being. It will eventually change but that doesn't happen often.

The port forward in your router will look something like TCP on any IP port 80 being forwarded to 192.168.my.hs3 port 80

Then try to browse to your dynamic address to know that it's working correctly.

mark
                            Last edited by MarkJames; April 25, 2017, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Help with new install

The ipv4 is the one you use. ipv6 is, afaik, all for private addresses (like the 192.168.0.xxx your router has)

I can't understand why whatismyip.com is showing you an ipv6 though. I'm assuming your hometroller is plugged into your router or to a network switch that's then plugged into your router and not directly into the internet/cable modem.

Anyways...

If you type in your external ip do you browse to HS3? If not then you probably don't have port 80 and/or 443 forwarded. The only one, as rprade pointed out, that is likely blocked by your ISP is 25 - they don't like people running mail servers. I assume that on your HS3 setup/network page you have your server running on port 80? Let's get this working first.

First try to browse to your internal IP so you know the server is running
                              Then try to browse to your external IP so you know that you know you have the right external IP and your forwarding works
                              Then try to browse to your dynamic address to know that it's working correctly.

mark

Yeah, the Hometroller is plugged into a data switch which is this plugged into my modem/router combo.

1) Yes, HS3 is on port 80.
                              2) I have only set up port forwarding for the specific port to use with Geofency, I have not set up one just for my HS3 hometroller. The port forwarding that I have for Geofency uses the internal IP of my HS3 hometroller in combination with port 8256 so I didn't think I needed another one for just the hometroller itself, should I set that up?
                              3) I can browse on my LAN to my hometroller and have verified that 8256 is setup in the plugin.
                              4) I set up another port forward for port 80 and my internal IP for hometroller and typed in my phone over LTE myexternalIP:80 and it doesn't let me in.
                              5) Typing dynamic URL into phone over LTE also doesn't work.

It's sounding like even though I've set up port forwarding in my router, there is still something not set right in my router that is blocking the port. I'll call Netgear support in the morning in hopes they might be able to figure it out.

Thank you Mark and Randy for your help tonight...really do appreciate it. Just sounds like my situation isn't an easy one. I'll update tomorrow. I hope Paul is able to get the service though MyHS.....could make this easier.... Paul...this really makes me appreciate your plugin even more as this stuff is not easy!

Last edited by The Profit; April 25, 2017, 11:08 PM.
                              Plugin's:

Comment

Anyways...

If you type in your external ip do you browse to HS3? If not then you probably don't have port 80 and/or 443 forwarded. The only one, as rprade pointed out, that is likely blocked by your ISP is 25 - they don't like people running mail servers. I assume that on your HS3 setup/network page you have your server running on port 80?

mark

Comment

Working...
                                X