Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems setting up HS3 with Linear ZWave Dimmers

Greetings All !

I've been running HS2 off of a basement PC for several years now. And about a year and a half ago, I added in some Linear ZWave PD300Z-2 dinner modules. They've worked fine. (Been using an Aeon Labs USB Stick as a controller.)

But now I want to repurpose that PC and have moved the controller upstairs to a more modern PC. Decided to install HS3 (I'd paid for it long ago, tried it briefly, learned certain plug-ins were not available yet, so I went back to HS2 and just stuck with that).

OK, so now I've got HS3 running. I tried just moving the USB controller up to the new PC and doing a device import.

Homeseer gave this warning for every Linear module:

Failed to retrieve Z-Wave class information for node 2, device synchronization/creation will not continue for this node.

And then when I went to the Devices page, the Linear modules are all listed there, but in a "rather generic way": No buttons in the controls column. Each one is named "Sigma Switch Multilevel" and I can't check-mark them as being dimmable. So, since there were no actual buttons to turn the switches on or off there in the GUI, I figured something must have gone wrong.

So, I thought, I'll just factory reset the USB stick, go manually re-add the devices, and try again. Well, same thing / same warnings / no change.

Any advice??

Thanks!

-= Dave =-

Hmmm... logs suggest it can't actually reach / communicate with the switches/ nodes. <sigh>

Comment

Moved one switch to the same floor as the controller. (I don't really need it up here, so that's kind of useless.) Now Homeseer can communicate with two out of the four switches. But only one of the two actually shows on/off controls and a dimmer slider. (I'm sure that's the switch I moved up to the second floor.) The other shows nothing. The three remaining switches on the first floor are all within about 15-20 feet of each other, almost in a triangle shape.

I guess I'm going to need some sort of repeater or signal booster, if I don't want to move those remaining three switches.

Comment

I'd suggest you remove then include each non working switch. You may have to move the non working switches to the 2nd floor (near the controller) then after including them you can probably move them back downstairs. once you move them back dont forget to optimize your network
        HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
        Number of Devices: 1005
        Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Originally posted by jmaddox View Post
          I'd suggest you remove then include each non working switch. You may have to move the non working switches to the 2nd floor (near the controller) then after including them you can probably move them back downstairs. once you move them back dont forget to optimize your network
          How does one remove individual switches?

I've been removing everything... by deleting the devices and then erasing the USB stick... and then re-adding by taking the USB stick to each device, adding it, then plugging the USB back in and importing.

I saw the "add a node" feature, but when I run that, it keeps repeating the same line of text...text that suggests HomeSeer / the PC itself is going to "listen" for the new node. But I didn't think having the USB listen from such a distance would be as reliable as physically taking the USB to within a foot of each device. ??

Hmmmm...... maybe I'll just move them ALL upstairs, like you said, delete everything and do the manual import like I have been doing, and then move them back. I'll try that later on tonight when I get home from work. Thanks!
          Last edited by DR4296; May 17, 2017, 04:17 AM.

Comment

yep, you want to use Homeseer's add node. When homeseer is listening go tap the switch which should included that device in the network. I wasn't aware you were trying to use the USB sticks button to try to include them. I believe there is a known issue with using the stick for this. You may be able to include the bottom switches without moving them. Try including them through homeseer at least a couple of times. If Homeseer just can't find them move them to the 2nd floor for inclusion. Older zwave devices had a shorter range especially for inclusion. once they are included in homeseer you should be able to move them back down and they will probably work fine. If they don't work when installed downstairs; you'll want to install a zwave device of any sort, switch/plug between the bottom floor and 2nd floor's controller to extend your network. As always anytime you add any new device, or you move a device use homeseer to optimize the network
            HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
            Number of Devices: 1005
            Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

OK, well, I just got home... and moved all four switches up to the second floor, within 25-30 feet of the USB controller. Did a full scan. All devices were detected and the actual "devices" set up within Homeseer all now have on/off/slider controls next to them.... EXCEPT for one of the four switches.

Even though this lone switch is now a mere 4 feet away from the USB controller, when I do a full scan, it basically says that it can communicate with the node, but then gives this message:

"Node 3 did not provide Wake-Up Command Class information - it will not be processed further."

I'm thinking this may be what's preventing on/off/slider controls from showing up for this switch.

Fortunately, I only really NEED three of these switches to be working right now. So I should be able to go ahead and rebuild my events from old HS2 manually.

Thanks for giving me that advice! I was all set to go buy a couple of repeaters at roughly $30 each. Now I won't have to!

I will probably slowly expand the system, but we're in the process of getting ready to put our house up for sale, so I'm not going to do that until we're in our new place.

As for this lone switch that won't play nice, I'm just going to keep it up here as a repeater for now.

THANKS VERY MUCH !!

-= Dave =-

Comment

Working...
              X