www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > 3rd Party Plug-Ins/Scripts > Plug-ins by Author > Click Here for List of Author Forums > Sooty Plug-Ins > PHLocation Plug-in (3P)

Old June 13th, 2017, 08:32 PM
Seer Deluxe

Unhappy Apple Now Continuously Asking for Permission

I've been running PHL for several months and haven't had any issues until last week. I'm polling 2 devices on each of 2 separate iCloud accounts.

Since about a week now, every time there's an update, which is 4 minutes, I get a warning from Apple on all devices (including my Mac) that a device is trying to acces my account and should I allow it. If I do, it generates the 6 digit code.

I've always had 2FA working properly since day one on PHL but I reset both accounts and redid the 2FA over again just in case. The "Status" devices show "Connected" for both accounts and all 4 devices appear to be updating properly.

I was running rev .84 and upgraded to .90 in hope that would fix the issue but it didn't.

I turned off the PHL PI for 2 days and there were no more warnings. Turned it back on this evening and the warnings are reappearing again.

There presently aren't any log warnings or errors (although there were a few prior to the last PIstop/restart).

Rechecked both iCloud accounts and everything appears to be fine, passwords ok, etc.

I changed the polling down to 2 minutes and it still does it.

All Apple devices have the latest iOS.

Its almost as though iCloud is not recognizing the 2FA but somehow everything gets updated even if you say "NO".

Anyone else have this problem?
Thanks,

Current Date/Time: 6/13/2017 8:13:33 PM
HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.318
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional - Work Station
System Uptime: 7 Days 0 Hours 10 Minutes 18 Seconds
IP Address: 192.168.2.111
Number of Devices: 443
Number of Events: 136
Available Threads: 400

Enabled Plug-Ins
3.2.0.5: APCUPSD
2.0.58.0: BLDSC
2.0.11.0: BLiTunes
2.0.3.0: BLMarantz
1.0.3.0: BLShutdown
3.0.22.30668: Blue-Iris
1.1.2.0: Device History
3.0.1.10: HCS2
3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server
3.0.6.0: Insteon
3.0.1.90: PHLocation
3.0.0.63: weatherXML
3.0.1.124: Z-Wave

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.368/ Shuttle XS36VL Atom PC - Win 7 Pro 32 / HCSII / Insteon / Z-Wave & SmartStick+ / DSC 1832 - PC5108 - IT100
Plug-Ins: APCUPSD / BLDSC / BLiTunes / BlueIris / BLMarantz / BLShutdown / Device History / HCS2 / HSTouch / Insteon / Jon00 Network Monitor / Jon00 DB Charting / PHLocation / WeatherXML / Z-Wave
Old June 21st, 2017, 02:20 PM
Seer

I'm experiencing the same issue. Since iOS 10.3 came out, I continually get prompted by 2FA to authorize the plugin.
Old June 21st, 2017, 03:02 PM
Seer Deluxe

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkdotnet View Post
I'm experiencing the same issue. Since iOS 10.3 came out, I continually get prompted by 2FA to authorize the plugin.
Glad I'm not alone...I'm exchanging emails directly with Paul, the author, and have left him a bunch of observations to support my conclusion that Apple upped its security again.
Old June 21st, 2017, 03:22 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeTee View Post
Glad I'm not alone...I'm exchanging emails directly with Paul, the author, and have left him a bunch of observations to support my conclusion that Apple upped its security again.

I have been having the same issue for the last couple of days as well. I noticed on 9 to 5 Mac news that some users have been experiencing iCloud login issues which could be the problem:
https://9to5mac.com/2017/06/20/iclou...cation-failed/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, Z-Wave 3.0.1.200
Old June 21st, 2017, 05:01 PM
Super Seer

I think (with the help of CeeTee) I have discovered the issue.

I'm thinking that the problem is the difference between 2-Factor and 2-Step authentication systems in use by Apple.

In the plug-in it is referenced as 2FA (2-Factor-Authentication) when in reality it is 2SA (2-Step-Authentication) that the plug-in currently supports which is a different thing.

This would explain why I don't see a problem using my iCloud account with the plug-in because I have 2-Step enabled and not 2-Factor.

See this link for some info from Apple.

I will investigate if it's possible to also support 2-Factor but due to other commitments I can't give a time scale on this

Paul..
Old June 23rd, 2017, 07:55 PM
Seer Deluxe

Cool Problem Gone

Not sure whether it was an Apple problem that's now fixed or whether some testing I did with Sooty, aka Paul, solved the issue but (knock on wood) it's gone.

Paul had me do the following (copy of his instructions):

1. Go to the iCloud Accounts page within the PI and make sure that services are stopped.

2. On that same page edit each account and on the PHL tab set the interval to OFF.

3. Pick one account to work with from that page and make note of the device ref in the DV Address column. It is the number between the square brackets. In the example PHLCIC[2676]R the ref is 2676.

4. Edit that device again and on the PHL tab hit the reset account button.

5. Go to \HS3\Data\PHLocation\ and delete any files with the name C_NNNN.bin where NNN is the ref number from step 3. (for my account it wasn't there, but it was for my wife's)

6. Open the account chosen in step 3 for editing and set the interval to say 10 minutes.

7. Go back to the iCloud accounts page and hit the start services button.

After that I had to reinitiate the 2FA and, well, its been 48 hours on my account and 24 for my wife's and nary a Apple warning. I've left both accounts at 10 minute refreshes for now.

So Profit and pkdotnet, let us know whether the problem has disappeared on its own and if not, try the above steps...and let Paul know.
Old August 2nd, 2017, 11:45 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeTee View Post
Not sure whether it was an Apple problem that's now fixed or whether some testing I did with Sooty, aka Paul, solved the issue but (knock on wood) it's gone.

Paul had me do the following (copy of his instructions):

1. Go to the iCloud Accounts page within the PI and make sure that services are stopped.

2. On that same page edit each account and on the PHL tab set the interval to OFF.

3. Pick one account to work with from that page and make note of the device ref in the DV Address column. It is the number between the square brackets. In the example PHLCIC[2676]R the ref is 2676.

4. Edit that device again and on the PHL tab hit the reset account button.

5. Go to \HS3\Data\PHLocation\ and delete any files with the name C_NNNN.bin where NNN is the ref number from step 3. (for my account it wasn't there, but it was for my wife's)

6. Open the account chosen in step 3 for editing and set the interval to say 10 minutes.

7. Go back to the iCloud accounts page and hit the start services button.

After that I had to reinitiate the 2FA and, well, its been 48 hours on my account and 24 for my wife's and nary a Apple warning. I've left both accounts at 10 minute refreshes for now.

So Profit and pkdotnet, let us know whether the problem has disappeared on its own and if not, try the above steps...and let Paul know.
Paul (sooty), I've been having "Apple ID Sign In Requested "my User ID" Allow or Don't Allow" messages and providing six digit code after selecting "Allow". I just performed the above procedure in the hopes of making the "Bad man go away" last evening with no success. As of this morning I've had another three requests. Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Mike

Last edited by MNB; August 7th, 2017 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Misspelled Paul name
Old August 15th, 2017, 12:49 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
In the plug-in it is referenced as 2FA (2-Factor-Authentication) when in reality it is 2SA (2-Step-Authentication) that the plug-in currently supports which is a different thing.

This would explain why I don't see a problem using my iCloud account with the plug-in because I have 2-Step enabled and not 2-Factor.
Paul, I believe by disabling the 2-Factor option by default I'm utilizing the 2-Step Authentication, anyways I'm not getting the daily nuisance messages I had before, I'll await your 2-Factor solution. Mike
Old September 23rd, 2017, 04:44 AM
Super Seer

I have 2factor enabled using ios 11, indeed i get the request to enter the 6 digit code but it only happens when my phone was off and turn it back on i press don't allow and its still working and i dont get a message aymore..
I'm still using it daily with no problems

regards

HS3Pro 3.0.0.435 on windows 7 ultimate X64 on hp quadcore laptop 8 GB. 687 Devices, 480Events
Old September 23rd, 2017, 09:23 AM
Seer Master

Paul (@Sooty), do you have any news in reference to a "2-Factor option" fix? thanxs in advance, Mike
Old September 23rd, 2017, 11:05 AM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNB View Post
Paul (@Sooty), do you have any news in reference to a "2-Factor option" fix? thanxs in advance, Mike
As has been previously mentioned in another post. There are two types of so called "2-part" authentication currently in use by Apple.

More information on this is available here

The earliest of these two methods is known as 2-step and the latest is 2-factor authentication. The plug-in has a single reference to 2-factor authentication which technically should be referred to as 2-step authentication because its the earlier method that's supported.

It would appear that 2-step uses a 4 digit verification code and 2-factor a 6 digit code.

On my Apple account I only have 2-step enabled which I expect is why it works OK here.

I'm pretty busy at work for the next month or so but as soon as I get some spare time I'll see if its possible to also support 2-factor.

The way that the plug-in works with iCloud is that it pretends to be a browser and therefore can be added as a trusted device. Reading some Apple documentation on 2FA (not 2SA), it would appear that browsers can still become trusted devices with this method so it may be possible.

Paul..
Old September 23rd, 2017, 09:04 PM
Seer Master

Paul, thanxs for the comeback. Looking forward to your update in the future, Mike
Old October 1st, 2017, 12:04 AM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooty View Post

I'm pretty busy at work for the next month or so but as soon as I get some spare time I'll see if its possible to also support 2-factor.

The way that the plug-in works with iCloud is that it pretends to be a browser and therefore can be added as a trusted device. Reading some Apple documentation on 2FA (not 2SA), it would appear that browsers can still become trusted devices with this method so it may be possible.

Paul..
Hi Paul, it appears apple is requiring 2FA be turned on to use Homekit outside my home (via an AppleTV serving as the remote hub) and to use my new Apple Watch to unlock my MacBook. I had it working somehow without 2FA prior to the iOS11 and Watch OS 4 update (I had turned 2FA on then off) but now I am stuck so I have disabled the plugin for my iPhone until you have time to research to 2FA.

Please let me know, when you get time to work on it, if there is anything I can do to help test -- as I am dead in the water for now. Thanks!
Old October 1st, 2017, 01:05 PM
Super Seer

The good news
I have the plug-in working here now with the newer 6-digit 2-factor authentication and without constant notifications.

The bad news
It would be a lot of work trying to support both the older 2-step and the newer 2-factor authentication systems within the plug-in.

Given that Apple appear to be pushing users onto the newer 6-digit 2-FA, I expect that's the way I should go but this will break things for folks that are still using the older 4-digit 2-SA.

I assume existing users of iCloud with the plug-in would be happy to update their accounts to use 2-FA?

Paul..
Old October 1st, 2017, 01:29 PM
Seer

Apple Now Continuously Asking for Permission

Thatís great news! I do hope users of the older approach will be willing to move to 2FA as I donít even know how to access the old approach if I wanted to

Editó and I think the newer approach is what is required for all the services above.
Old October 1st, 2017, 01:50 PM
OverSeer

I could handle 2FA, though I would prefer not. I lost a phone while on a trip last year and was stuck without a way to restore the new phone because I didnít carry the secret code with me and my secondary device (iPad) was at home.

Since Apple seems to be forcing us in this direction I can enable 2FA again. Next time I will hide the secret code on my website somewhere.
Old October 1st, 2017, 02:01 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mda View Post
Thatís great news! I do hope users of the older approach will be willing to move to 2FA as I donít even know how to access the old approach if I wanted to

Editó and I think the newer approach is what is required for all the services above.
For those just enabling 2-stage authentication, it would appear that "2-step" is not available as an option any longer and its now "2-factor" or nothing. I assume all users will pe pushed onto 2-factor in the not too distant future but not sure what will happen to those users who have 2-step already in place.

The system of verification is different with 2FA so will require some UI changes in the plug-in along with quite a lot of behind the scenes code changes. I don't really want to put in all the work to support both systems only to find that in a couple of months it was a waste of time and by the same token I also don't want to pi** off existing users with 2-SA in place.

If folks are happy to switch to 2-FA then I'll make the necessary changes.

Paul..
Old October 1st, 2017, 03:26 PM
OverSeer

I would say make the change. For those using 2 step, they can stay on the current version. As soon as you support it, I will switch to 2FA.
Old October 1st, 2017, 04:27 PM
Seer Deluxe

Apple Now Continuously Asking for Permission

According to the news, once you upgrade to iOS11 all users will be automatically switched to 2FA. So unless you choose not to upgrade or have an older device thatís not compatible with iOS11 it looks like you will have it enabled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 1st, 2017, 04:41 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Profit View Post
According to the news, once you upgrade to iOS11 all users will be automatically switched to 2FA. So unless you choose not to upgrade or have an older device that’s not compatible with iOS11 it looks like you will have it enabled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m still on 2-step with iOS11 on a 7 plus. The reports were that users would be asked to convert to 2FA, but I have not had to yet. From a couple of articles: “It’s not totally clear whether two-factor authentication will be required for all users who update to iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra — or whether it’s only necessary for those who already use two-step authentication”. Since I don’t want to lose PHLocation, I’m holding my breath and not changing anything.