Is Homeseer right for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DWknuA4U8AE5Ow4.jpg[IMG]

This default GUI out of the box...plugins for Plex, Spotify, etc for the GUI...no such luck with HSTouch.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMxyzptlk View Post
      Beefy depends on what you want to do. I have several thousand devices and 30 plus plugins running. I would never run this on an ATOM processor or such; however many people do.

A standard desktop processor with 16GB of RAM on Windows 10 would be plenty.

The ONLY reason I like Allonis is how much easier it is to set up a 'professional' looking GUI. It doesn't seem nearly as flaky / buggy as HSTouch...although there are those who will defend it and HS3 to the death.
      So that is a screenshot from Allonis I gather?

You program all of your automation within HS3, but use the Allonis GUI to execute a one-time action or view the status of your home?

Comment

{subscribed}
        HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by socalsharky View Post
          Any chance you could post a couple of screenshots?

Mine are posted in this thread which has many, many good examples of HSTouch projects people have made: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=131697

I think mine are around page 30 or so.

Also, the recommendation of 16 GB RAM and what not is completely overkill. I have been running HS on a 7 year old Xeon with 8 GB of RAM for years and it serves a lot of other duties. You could probably get by with a newer Atom and 2 GB of RAM. Unless you are running dozens of hungry plugins that are poorly coded or are just RAM hungry due to their nature. I know one of the plugins I use will eat up 300 MB but most are around 20 or so.
          Originally posted by rprade
          There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
            Mine are posted in this thread which has many, many good examples of HSTouch projects people have made: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=131697

I think mine are around page 30 or so.

Also, the recommendation of 16 GB RAM and what not is completely overkill. I have been running HS on a 7 year old Xeon with 8 GB of RAM for years and it serves a lot of other duties. You could probably get by with a newer Atom and 2 GB of RAM. Unless you are running dozens of hungry plugins that are poorly coded or are just RAM hungry due to their nature. I know one of the plugins I use will eat up 300 MB but most are around 20 or so.
            Page 26 Post # 506 to be exact.... :-) I have used Sweethome3D for my floor layout and can only imagine how much time it took you to get it to look like that! Mine is just a flat grey unimpressive layout....uggh. And it took me a long time just to create the first floor! Still have to do the second floor! Have any pointers??
            Attached Files
            HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
            Plugin's:
            BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
            EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
            weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

Any chance you could post a couple of screenshots?
              Here's a very long thread with what you're looking for: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=131697
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by The Profit View Post
                Have any pointers??

Yep. Pointer: Get a case of beer and take a week off from work.

I did mine over Christmas / New Year's a few years back. Really once you get the hang of it making the project larger is pretty easy. This is actually motivating me to make a fancy screen for controlling Winamp! Friday evening project right there.

Comment

Yep. Pointer: Get a case of beer and take a week off from work.

I did mine over Christmas / New Year's a few years back. Really once you get the hang of it making the project larger is pretty easy. This is actually motivating me to make a fancy screen for controlling Winamp! Friday evening project right there.

Ha! Ha! I think I would need more than a case of beer to get through a week with Sweethome3D!!

HS3 3.0.0.420 & HSTouch 3.0.55 with 700 Devices, 358 Events
                  Plugin's:
                  BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee,
                  weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, Z-Wave 3.0.1.200
                  Plugin's:

Comment

Originally posted by The Profit View Post
                    Ha! Ha! I think I would need more than a case of beer to get through a week with Sweethome3D!!

HS3 3.0.0.420 & HSTouch 3.0.55 with 700 Devices, 358 Events
                    Plugin's:
                    BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee,
                    weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, Z-Wave 3.0.1.200

Oh! The Sweethome3D part was just the beginning and really the easy part. That is where I started though. I just measured all of the rooms in my house and went from there. Just like HSTouch there was a bit of a learning curve but once I got the hang of it I was off to the races. So I'd say that as far as Sweethome3D is concerned my time was about 85% learning and the rest was actually building the image.

I would like to second the sentiment rileydogmi. If I have to control something I'm doing it wrong. My HSTouch project was simply for fun. Mostly I only use it to occasionally see where my daughter is. Beyond that I just use HS to automate everything so I don't need to touch light switches, thermostats, etc. I do touch light switches every evening but that's because I dim the lights further and further ans the night progresses. HS takes care of turning them on and off.

Comment

Oh! The Sweethome3D part was just the beginning and really the easy part. That is where I started though. I just measured all of the rooms in my house and went from there. Just like HSTouch there was a bit of a learning curve but once I got the hang of it I was off to the races. So I'd say that as far as Sweethome3D is concerned my time was about 85% learning and the rest was actually building the image.

I would like to second the sentiment rileydogmi. If I have to control something I'm doing it wrong. My HSTouch project was simply for fun. Mostly I only use it to occasionally see where my daughter is. Beyond that I just use HS to automate everything so I don't need to touch light switches, thermostats, etc. I do touch light switches every evening but that's because I dim the lights further and further ans the night progresses. HS takes care of turning them on and off.
                      Plugin's:

Comment

How hard is it to get zwave going with HS? I spent the better part of Saturday trying to get a couple of zwave plugs working with Home Assistant on a RP3. What a pain in the arse. Very non-intuitive, constant restarts to get it to recognize devices, and hard to find consistent support documents. I realize that HA is free, but it just seems way too difficult to manage.

Comment

How hard is it to get zwave going with HS? I spent the better part of Saturday trying to get a couple of zwave plugs working with Home Assistant on a RP3. What a pain in the arse. Very non-intuitive, constant restarts to get it to recognize devices, and hard to find consistent support documents. I realize that HA is free, but it just seems way too difficult to manage.
                          Generally speaking, pretty darn easy. Press a button (SP app or Web interface), trigger the device and wait a min or two and your done.
                          RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

First, to the OP, Welcome! We seem to have a similar background.

I have done a lot with HSTouch and while my wife did use it, my daughter did not. That said, if I had a dedicated tablet which was "on" as easily as a Harmony or any other remote was "On" both may have used it a lot more than they have. That said:

We have a couple Google Home Minis and I have found that my daughter now turns lights on/off, etc. using the voice capability. My wife does to some small extent and more than she used the interface on her phone.

The web page interface is useful for me and I use it as much as the HSTouch interface.

Regardless, voice via these devices is a big move which is happening and capabilities change almost daily. HomeSeer has long had voice control, but I never invested in that until I acquired the GH device. Mostly because I felt the family was not ready for such.

All this said, the comment about making the home Smart and having he system know when things should or should not be done, and the inclusion of motion/occupancy sensors goes a long way. These items then negate any interface outside of normal activity.

I would also suggest that the home is only as Smart as the simple points. If a supposed smart bulb can be turned off with a wall switch, it is only as smart as the person who never turns off the switch. So automate the switch and not the bulb. If you don't, guests will disable the switch all the time. I even put tape over one switch to keep it from being used and my family kept flipping that switch, breaking the automation of a device and wondering why it was not so smart. After explaining it multiple times, I just replaced the switch.

Sometimes Smart isn't all that automated. For instance, I have the Attic Lights turn off every night at 1 AM. I figure nobody should be up there then and instead of polling the switch to check for a manual turn on and then acting on the result, I just send an Off command nightly.

When my daughter was an infant (14 years ago) I had a door sensor which would turn a light on at 50% inside whenever the front door was open and no motion was showing from inside. Since our daughter may be asleep and we didn't want the light to wake her, if I opened and then closed the door, then re-opened it, the light did not come one. And since HomeSeer also controlled the fish tank we had close to the entry, if the fish tank lights were on, all was ignored. I would not change any of this to any touch interface today as the method is fast to access and easy to use.
                            Karl S
                            HS4Pro on Windows 10
                            1070 Devices
                            56 Z-Wave Nodes
                            104 Events
                            HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
                            Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

@Greg

I see that you are trying Home Assistant and ZWave. I would suggest Openhab, HomeGenie and Domoticz. HomeGenie like Homeseer utilizes Linux Mono.

Guessing you are currently also testing Homeseer. Personally I find the configuration of Homeseer 3 a bit more intuitive that the software mentioned above.

That said keep going and looking/testing as it will be you utilizing the software.
                              - Pete

Auto mator
                              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I've not messed with HA but I do know that it uses "OpenZWave" for Z-Wave support... and OpenZWave is an open-source, reverse-engineered implementation of the protocol. So, I wouldn't expect it to be a great user experience.
                                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
                                X