Adding devices at a distance from the PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding devices at a distance from the PC

Have you tried the Z-Tool+ app? It is a phoe app HomeSeer has and you can use it to add devices. Available on both Android and iOS.
    Karl S
    HS4Pro on Windows 10
    1070 Devices
    56 Z-Wave Nodes
    104 Events
    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
    Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

I bought a 50 foot powered USB cable to extend the reach of my Z-Stick when adding older Z-Wave devices.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by ksum View Post
        Have you tried the Z-Tool+ app? It is a phoe app HomeSeer has and you can use it to add devices. Available on both Android and iOS.

Comment

Z-Wave is a mesh technology so to reach distance devices you need devices "along the way".

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
            Z-Wave is a mesh technology so to reach distance devices you need devices "along the way".

Comment

The communications works "along the way" once it's added to the network. Devices need to be brought close to the Z-Wave interface to be added to the network. Some use laptops, some have test rigs to add their switches, others use extension cords, etc.

Comment

Michael

Comment

Z-net, long USB extension or starting with the closer nodes first are probley your common options.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                    The communications works "along the way" once it's added to the network. Devices need to be brought close to the Z-Wave interface to be added to the network. Some use laptops, some have test rigs to add their switches, others use extension cords, etc.
                    Right - but if I add 5 devices to the desktop machine, then move the stick to
                    the laptop and add 3 devices there, the 3 devices don't migrate to the desktop. How do I get the devices moved from the laptop to the desktop?

I tried importing them from the stick, but it wouldn't import all the class information from the battery powered devices, and so they are incomplete. It imported a lock, for example, but refused to create the lock/unlock buttons.

Comment

Comment

Faced with a similar problem I use a very long ethernet cable. Granted I only have to move my znet closer. However the same concept could work with a PC; it would just be more cumbersome to move it closer.
                        HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
                        Number of Devices: 1005
                        Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Using a longer cable wasn't really an option. However, I was finally able to get just about everything included. There were a few things that apparently got in the way:

1. I'm not convinced that my GE in-wall switches are acting as repeaters. Or, if they are, apparently it takes some time for them to effectively act as such. There are wall switches in every room in a chain starting where the server is and going around the house - yet some devices seemed to resist inclusion at the end of the chain - including some in-wall switches. Eventually it worked out, but it was messy.

2. Battery powered devices - pretty much they all needed brand new batteries - especially the Schlage locks, which refused to negotiate a secure key and set up associations unless they had new batteries - even the lock in the same room as the server.

I still have some sensors that are being obstinate.. The battle continues.

I replicated one of my PLEG automations as an event and am mostly happy. I've been doing this without reading the manuals and with minimal search assistance just to see how intuitive it is and it mostly is. Already, timers are an improvement over PLEG logic for events that should last until something stops happening for a period of time. The event I created is MUCH more responsive in basic testing than Vera ever was. I had one PLEG automation that NEVER worked right - I'll see if HS events do a better job this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeT View Post
                            I replicated one of my PLEG automations as an event and am mostly happy. I've been doing this without reading the manuals and with minimal search assistance just to see how intuitive it is and it mostly is. Already, timers are an improvement over PLEG logic for events that should last until something stops happening for a period of time. The event I created is MUCH more responsive in basic testing than Vera ever was. I had one PLEG automation that NEVER worked right - I'll see if HS events do a better job this weekend.

Let us know if you need help. I used PLEG for several years and I printed out all my conditions and re worked them in Events in HS when I moved away from my issues and vera. I was able to clean alot of things up. Virtual devices and events are much easier in HS3. Enjoy

Comment

Maybe Optimize your network before adding other devices. That may help with the GE units and may help all together.
                              Karl S
                              HS4Pro on Windows 10
                              1070 Devices
                              56 Z-Wave Nodes
                              104 Events
                              HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
                              Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Working...
                              X