Newbie HomeSeer looking for advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie HomeSeer looking for advice

I purchased HomeSeer Pro many years ago and really never got around to setting it up. I finally have time to work on getting it going and after reading in the forums I purchased a Z-Net box that should arrive this Thursday. I am currently running HomeSeer Pro 3 in a Windows 10 virtual image and testing it now with the Harmony Hub plugin. I would like to purchase 3 - zwave door sensors and 1- zwave motion sensor.

What would you guys recommend? If possible small ones and not large sensors if they make them. I did read in the forums some from monoprice.

Looking forward to getting my feet wet with Home Automation!

Thanks,

It depends on the function you want. I have a bunch of the aeotec multi sensors, and use those to monitor heat/humidity (don't rely on the luminance function) in key areas of the house. I like those because they can be plugged in and I don't have to worry about batteries. I mainly use these in the garage, attic, and basement where getting power to them isn't too hard.

I personally really like the ecolink motion sensors. Monoprice and Home Depot utilize the same hardware inside, but my experience with the Home Depot ones is that they don't trigger that quickly compared to the ecolinks. I don't have any experience with monoprice though. You can find the ecolinks on ebay really cheap (under 30 bucks a piece). The ecolinks seem to be the fastest of all the motions I have to detect motion. One thing to remember about battery powered motions, they sleep most of the time and have to wake up when sending a signal that they detected motion. My experience has been to not use them to turn lights on, but to detect no motion in a room and turn lights off. In areas that I want lights to turn on, I use hardwired sensors tied to an alarm system that is integrated into HomeSeer, or utilize door sensors to a room to turn the lights on. Door sensors seem to trip instantly. I have a huge mix of door sensors, and they all seem to perform the same. So just pick the ones that look good to you and cost reasonably.

Couple other tips to help you have success. When placing motion sensors, make sure you place them so motion goes across them, not to and from (walking up to it or away from it). They detect motion much better with traffic across them. The multi sensors present a challenge with this because usually the right placement for the motion isn't the right placement for the temperature readings.

Also I use command strips to mount all my sensors. This allows you to take the device off the wall/door jam without doing any damage. You get the ability to play around with placement of the motion sensors doing this as well.
    Last edited by waynehead99; November 30, 2016, 10:37 AM.

Comment

+1 for the EcoLink motion detectors. I installed 4 for a friend of mine and so far they are working very well. It has pet immunity settings as well.
      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I also agree about the Ecolink PIRs. I also use them to turn lights on and they are faster than any other Z-Wave battery powered PIR I've tried, virtually as fast as the hardwired ones I have tied to fast loop response zones on the Elk alarm tied to HomeSeer.

Comment

Thank you all for your suggestions, I am planning on installing these on 3 doors at first to alert me if they are opened. Has anyone created a how to setup for a simple alarm system using z-wave door sensors and use homeseer to send alerts to your mobile phone and set off an audible alarm?

Thank again for all your help.

Comment

Sounds like the consensus is that all door sensors work well. Just confirming that includes the recessed sensors, such as the Aeotec ZW089 Recessed Door Sensor. I like the look of the recessed sensor but want to make sure that embedding the sensor in the wall/jamb doesn't cause communication issues.

Comment

Originally posted by wsume99 View Post
              Sounds like the consensus is that all door sensors work well. Just confirming that includes the recessed sensors, such as the Aeotec ZW089 Recessed Door Sensor. I like the look of the recessed sensor but want to make sure that embedding the sensor in the wall doesn't cause communication issues.
              Personally I have never used them, but I have always been happy with Aeotec stuff. My doors have recessed sensors tied to an alarm system that is integrated into HS.

I do usually try to stray away from things that need to be modified to accommodate (flush mounted panels, and recessed sensors). This to me is a hobby, and I plan to take the stuff with me when I go.

Comment

Originally posted by Flamez View Post
                Thank you all for your suggestions, I am planning on installing these on 3 doors at first to alert me if they are opened. Has anyone created a how to setup for a simple alarm system using z-wave door sensors and use homeseer to send alerts to your mobile phone and set off an audible alarm?

Thank again for all your help.
                You can do this, but you will see that most (including myself) will say that utilizing HS and Zwave to do this isn't as reliable as using an actual alarm system.

Look at the pushover plugin to send alerts to your phone.

Comment

Originally posted by wsume99 View Post
                  Sounds like the consensus is that all door sensors work well. Just confirming that includes the recessed sensors, such as the Aeotec ZW089 Recessed Door Sensor. I like the look of the recessed sensor but want to make sure that embedding the sensor in the wall/jamb doesn't cause communication issues.
                  I have quite a few with some at opposite ends of the house and all report as "excellent".

Michael
                  Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Rvtravlr View Post
                    I have quite a few with some at opposite ends of the house and all report as "excellent".

Michael
                    Awesome! Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

You know... call me old school, but I use ds10's/ds12's and find they work very well. Likely cheaper too... of course, that is assuming you have a wl800 and RFXCOM plugin.

The batteries also last forever - ok, ~2 years.

Robert
                      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Those are mostly plastic and air! Glad they work for you though.
                        Originally posted by rprade
                        There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Back again

Originally posted by Flamez View Post
                          I purchased HomeSeer Pro many years ago and really never got around to setting it up. I finally have time to work on getting it going and after reading in the forums I purchased a Z-Net box that should arrive this Thursday. I am currently running HomeSeer Pro 3 in a Windows 10 virtual image and testing it now with the Harmony Hub plugin. I would like to purchase 3 - zwave door sensors and 1- zwave motion sensor.

What would you guys recommend? If possible small ones and not large sensors if they make them. I did read in the forums some from monoprice.

Looking forward to getting my feet wet with Home Automation!

Thanks,

Comment

You will need to delete your Z-Wave associations from SmartThings an the associate the devices to your Z-Net to use them within HS3.
                            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

What would be the best way to pair these devices since they are already mounted to the doors and ceiling. I have the Z-Net box and i take it needs to be near each device to sync up with them.

Comment

Working...
                              X