Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using VR in noisy environment

Application:
    XP Media Center PC, running Homeseer, is located in den in home theater audio rack next to 57" projection TV with standard computer mic connected to mic input of PC. Lighting and other devices are installed and controlled through CM11A using Homeseer.

Findings:
    Sitting about 10 feet away, on the sofa, I trained VR(using wired computer mic) and got pretty good results with some VR lighting commands, even with TV background noise on. Have purchased (3) wireless mic's that Rupp found cheap on another post but haven't installed yet until I can buy and wire wal-warts.

Problems:
    1. Genie recognizes and responds to TV "talk" continuously no matter where I set MS agent sensitivity. May be able to solve this with changing wakeup command to something a like, "Computer, I need you", but may run into another problem with TV noise screwing with the multiple wording. I can hook up the wireless mike near the sofa vs next to the TV but haven't figured how or where to mount and hide it.
    2. Main problem is Homeseer continues to "forget" the VR training and quits responding after a couple of days. Don't know why, unless MS Agent tries to continue VR "learning" from TV talk. 3. Since 57" TV is now computer monitor in this application, I can only see genie when TV picture is windows into XP windows desktop screen. Can't find a way to have Homeseer or XP Media Center allow genie to pop up and "overlay" on top of TV at full screen (and main Media Center screens). I can barely hear Genie respond to a wakeup command "behind" the Media Center TV screen depending on how high the TV volume is.

Questions:
    1. Any other suggestions???
    2. Are there some typical settings that I forgot to set to prevent Homeseer from losing my VR training???
    3. Anybody know how to get Genie to pop up and overlay on Media Center screen???(Doesn't appear to be an option in the XP Media Center plugin) If this isn't possible, does anyone know how and where to increase the volume at which Genie speaks as opposed to the volume of the TV???

Sportera,
    First of all do you have Background Adaptation enabled? Go Start > control panel > speech. Select the settings button on the speech recognition tab under the recognition profiles heading. Look at the bottom of the form. If you have this set and HS is listening then your speech profile is "filling" up with TV recognition. Secondly, I doubt you will ever get acceptable speech recognition in a noisy environment like what you have described. The free Microsoft speech technology is simply not that advanced.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Next question on this subject

Well is there another option than using MS recognition engine?

Is there anything else out there to try?

Comment

Sportera,
        Take a look at this site, it pretty much explains the situation. It is clear about you should realisticaly expect.

http://www.iautomate.com/whole_house.html

Also consider that most of the VR products out there were developed for dictation in a quiet office environment. Voice control for the home user is still in its infancy. You are going to need very sophisticated processing algorithms to separate your voice from the rest of the room noise, especially when it also contains voice information. I suspect much bigger processors and affordable specialized hardware will eventually work their way into the home environment, but not in the near future. I use a portable phone or an RF microphone with reasonable success, but loud environments are still bad news.
        Gardner
        Last edited by gcyeaw; February 17, 2005, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Thanks Rupp. Kind of knew already that I wouldn't be working in an ideal environment. Yet I was surprised at how well it does work considering the noise. I think when I go with the wireless mic's near where I sit, Homeseer should get more of my voice and less of the TV. Only problem is how and where to locate. Throught about hiding under my coffee table(sits in front of sofa), but then I can't route the power from the wall-warts to the transmitter without laying across carpet.

One other alternative you may be able to help me with. I do have my office computer up all of the time and it is networked to the Media Center PC via home wireless network. Isn't there a scenario to allow loading and running Homeseer on office computer and somehow networking Homeseer control to Media Center PC? Will that allow for having the Genie to pop up and speak on the Media Center PC TV monitor as well as the office PC monitor?

Comment

Working...
          X