www.homeseer.com    
 

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > 3rd Party Plug-Ins/Scripts > Plug-ins by Author > Click Here for List of Author Forums > Blade Plug-Ins > BLBackup (3P)

BLBackup (3P) Discussion of BLBackup plug-in

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old April 24th, 2018, 07:55 PM
MNB's Avatar
MNB MNB is offline
Seer Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeryfool View Post
Mike. Grab Jon00’s Event Viewer & Documenter. You won’t believe how useful it is. It will solve most of those woes. It even allows you to schedule a report with broken events which you can then have emailed to yourself.
James, thanxs for the suggestion, I currently use a number of Jon's Plug-ins but not this one, will have download and try it. I would have thought that HS3 would have a few basic tools to do the same....I'm just saying Mike
__________________
Computer: CUK Intel NUC7i7BNH
Op System: Windows 10 Pro - Work Station
HS Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plug-Ins: BLBackup, BLGData, BLRoombaWifi, Device History, EasyTrigger, ImperiHome, Nest, PHLocation, Pushover 3P, Restart, Sonos, UltraCID3, UltraWeatherWU3, Z-Wave, and Jon00 scripts.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old April 24th, 2018, 08:02 PM
reidfo's Avatar
reidfo reidfo is offline
Seer Master
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Near Galveston, TX
Posts: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNB View Post
Randy, many thanxs for taking the time.. to edumcate, your examples makes it clear. With you graphics and verbiage I can see that I've corrupted some of my events without not knowing any better.

Now that Rich and company has formally released HS3 v.435 a practical new feature that would identify (visually or via a subroutine) those events that have; errors, devices with triggers/conditions that are no longer working either by deleting/inserting new devices ect. Today one has to open all of ones events to discover where or not I have conditions that are no longer functional and obviously where triggers are broken and cannot be easily seen other than looking within Logs and doing investigation to figure out where the problem. Mike
IMO it would be better for HST to fix the events page so event corruption doesn't happen. I have used HomeSeer for many years and didn't know there was a specific procedure for editing events to avoid corrupting them. Could explain some of the problems I've had over the years.
__________________
HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old April 24th, 2018, 09:06 PM
MNB's Avatar
MNB MNB is offline
Seer Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidfo View Post
IMO it would be better for HST to fix the events page so event corruption doesn't happen. I have used HomeSeer for many years and didn't know there was a specific procedure for editing events to avoid corrupting them. Could explain some of the problems I've had over the years.
Reid, I agree with you, HST should either fix or provide monitoring tools/routines that easily identify issues much like the one I experienced this week while trying to get a simple event to work and oh by the way I did not delete anything within the events trigger only added the "OR IF". I was glad that Randy had the patience with me and explained the procedure.. I know I can be a little dense at times but I find that by having a simple dialogue can help other users less thicker than me. Mike
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old April 24th, 2018, 10:38 PM
rprade's Avatar
rprade rprade is offline
OverSeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 6,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidfo View Post
IMO it would be better for HST to fix the events page so event corruption doesn't happen. I have used HomeSeer for many years and didn't know there was a specific procedure for editing events to avoid corrupting them. Could explain some of the problems I've had over the years.
There would be no need for a procedure if there weren't a bug. This is a bug that I discovered as soon as I started with HomeSeer in 2014. I have filed a Bugzilla and communicated it directly via email more than once. It has never been addressed. My suggestion was not to put an "X" beside the primary trigger and when a secondary (or tertiary, etc.) trigger is deleted, automatically remove the conditions, instead of moving the first one up and having it become an invalid trigger. As I wrote above, there is never a need to delete the primary trigger in an event.

The only bug that was fixed of the several that were brought up at that time was corruption during Event copying. The deleting of a trigger was never addressed, nor was the issue where during a marathon Event editing session, the time picker for the Wait action will stop getting focus. The same problem can happen to time pickers on delayed actions or delayed Events.
Group conditions remain unpredictable and do not work with plug-in triggers.
__________________
Randy Prade
Aurora, CO
Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old April 24th, 2018, 10:44 PM
rprade's Avatar
rprade rprade is offline
OverSeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 6,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNB View Post
Randy, many thanxs for taking the time.. to edumcate, your examples makes it clear. With you graphics and verbiage I can see that I've corrupted some of my events without not knowing any better.

Now that Rich and company has formally released HS3 v.435 a practical new feature that would identify (visually or via a subroutine) those events that have; errors, devices with triggers/conditions that are no longer working either by deleting/inserting new devices ect. Today one has to open all of ones events to discover where or not I have conditions that are no longer functional and obviously where triggers are broken and cannot be easily seen other than looking within Logs and doing investigation to figure out where the problem. Mike
Just don't EVER delete a Trigger

It is a shame that this problem has never been addressed, because it is one that bites users frequently. I have helped a half dozen or more members who had broken events due to deleting Triggers. Until you know about the problem, it can be a silent killer, rendering Events that look correct completely broken. I was enthusiastic about the importance of fixing this particular bug, but it was never acknowledged of addressed.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old April 24th, 2018, 11:25 PM
cheeryfool's Avatar
cheeryfool cheeryfool is offline
Super Seer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 1,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by rprade View Post
Just don't EVER delete a Trigger



It is a shame that this problem has never been addressed, because it is one that bites users frequently. I have helped a half dozen or more members who had broken events due to deleting Triggers. Until you know about the problem, it can be a silent killer, rendering Events that look correct completely broken. I was enthusiastic about the importance of fixing this particular bug, but it was never acknowledged of addressed.


Randy

Try adding it to the Quick Wins thread that I created the other week. Of course it may
go nowhere, but the everlasting Longitude bug was finally addressed, albeit after a couple of iterations
__________________
cheeryfool
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old April 24th, 2018, 11:47 PM
rprade's Avatar
rprade rprade is offline
OverSeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 6,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeryfool View Post
Randy

Try adding it to the Quick Wins thread that I created the other week. Of course it may
go nowhere, but the everlasting Longitude bug was finally addressed, albeit after a couple of iterations
Done! We'll see what happens.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old April 25th, 2018, 07:59 AM
cheeryfool's Avatar
cheeryfool cheeryfool is offline
Super Seer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 1,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNB View Post
James, thanxs for the suggestion, I currently use a number of Jon's Plug-ins but not this one, will have download and try it. I would have thought that HS3 would have a few basic tools to do the same....I'm just saying Mike


As an example - I replaced a Z-wave device last night with a different type. This morning, on my commute, I received the broken events report which showed 4 that needed fixing. Took a couple of mins on my iPhone to replace the device in the events and re-run the report to double check.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old April 25th, 2018, 01:34 PM
MNB's Avatar
MNB MNB is offline
Seer Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeryfool View Post
As an example - I replaced a Z-wave device last night with a different type. This morning, on my commute, I received the broken events report which showed 4 that needed fixing. Took a couple of mins on my iPhone to replace the device in the events and re-run the report to double check.
James, out of curiosity what events have you set-up (trigger/periodicity) to run the Broken Report and how are you being notify (I'm assuming Pushover?) Mike
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old April 25th, 2018, 01:47 PM
cheeryfool's Avatar
cheeryfool cheeryfool is offline
Super Seer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 1,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNB View Post
James, out of curiosity what events have you set-up (trigger/periodicity) to run the Broken Report and how are you being notify (I'm assuming Pushover?) Mike


I have 2 events:

1. Runs at 7am and runs the script with the ‘Broken’ parameter


2. Runs 5 mins later (script usually takes about 20-30 secs to run for me) and attaches the output report to an email. The event that runs the script will always show as it finds the ‘Broken’ parameter, but I can live with that. So, if I have more than one event in the report I need to go fix something.


I use ‘borked’ in place of ‘Broken’ in the name of the 2nd event to prevent that showing as a 2nd false broken event in the output.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old April 25th, 2018, 01:56 PM
MNB's Avatar
MNB MNB is offline
Seer Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeryfool View Post
I have 2 events:

1. Runs at 7am and runs the script with the ‘Broken’ parameter


2. Runs 5 mins later (script usually takes about 20-30 secs to run for me) and attaches the output report to an email. The event that runs the script will always show as it finds the ‘Broken’ parameter, but I can live with that. So, if I have more than one event in the report I need to go fix something.


I use ‘borked’ in place of ‘Broken’ in the name of the 2nd event to prevent that showing as a 2nd false broken event in the output.
James, thanxs for the comeback.. I was wondering if you were using a specific time or had a means to look for a broken condition/trigger you choices the easier route . You also clarified ensuring that ones naming of events and within events to "Borked" vs "Broken". I named my event as "Events - Broken Report" and always see it in the Broken report.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old April 25th, 2018, 01:59 PM
cheeryfool's Avatar
cheeryfool cheeryfool is offline
Super Seer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 1,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNB View Post
James, thanxs for the comeback.. I was wondering if you were using a specific time or had a means to look for a broken condition/trigger you choices the easier route . You also clarified ensuring that ones naming of events and within events to "Borked" vs "Broken". I named my event as "Events - Broken Report" and always see it in the Broken report.


Given where I came from (about 25 unknown broken events) before Jon built this, I figured a once a day check was more than adequate.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old April 25th, 2018, 02:20 PM
MNB's Avatar
MNB MNB is offline
Seer Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 511
James, I took your two events and combined them into one. It would be neat to be able to run a script that would run the report, check for "Broken" and then either delete the file if there is only one "Broken" or save it to be emailed with more than One "Broken" your thoughts? Mike
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old April 25th, 2018, 02:41 PM
cheeryfool's Avatar
cheeryfool cheeryfool is offline
Super Seer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 1,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNB View Post
James, I took your two events and combined them into one. It would be neat to be able to run a script that would run the report, check for "Broken" and then either delete the file if there is only one "Broken" or save it to be emailed with more than One "Broken" your thoughts? Mike


I love the idea, but it’s beyond my capabilities. If someone can figure out a way to monitor for a new version of the file and parse out whether it includes just that one event, then it could be used as a condition to run the second event or not. That would need the 2 event structure though.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old April 26th, 2018, 11:20 AM
MNB's Avatar
MNB MNB is offline
Seer Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeryfool View Post
I love the idea, but it’s beyond my capabilities. If someone can figure out a way to monitor for a new version of the file and parse out whether it includes just that one event, then it could be used as a condition to run the second event or not. That would need the 2 event structure though.
Are there any scripting experts out there that could offer a solution(s)? Requirement:
1. Parse a specific text file at located c:\Program Files (x86)\Homeseer3\html\eventlisting.txt and search for the text string "Broken" and count the number of "Broken" if the count of "Broken" is greater than X then execute an event otherwise don't do anything
2. The User will create two events;
  • One to run the new parse script daily
  • The other to send email with txt file to specific emails if the script detects a count of more than X "Broken" strings.

Last edited by MNB; April 26th, 2018 at 12:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Necessary Enhancement! CouchPotato BLDenon (3P) 1 November 20th, 2016 08:17 PM
Is this possible? or a future enhancement imbinary HSTouch™ 1 October 27th, 2009 10:26 PM
Enhancement Request clicata Instant Messaging Connector 9 January 13th, 2007 11:06 PM
Enhancement request JB NY Bluetooth Connector 2 May 2nd, 2006 09:37 AM
Another enhancement JLehnert HAI/OnQ Panel (HS2) 1 December 10th, 2004 10:08 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:20 AM.


Copyright HomeSeer Technologies, LLC