Z-Wave interface modules for zwave motion floodlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-Wave interface modules for zwave motion floodlight

I am hoping to find a Z-Wave module that would simplify the conversion of a standard outdoor floodlight motion detector to a 2-way Z-Wave controllable fixture.

In my old home I rigged up an Opto22 type interface module to an alarm input that gave me a 1-way indication that motion had been detected, but here I would like to have the floodlights under Z-wave control as well.

The Aeotec dry contact modules look to be a partial solution but still require a relay for control of the lighting elements. Ideally a module that sends a Z-Wave signal when it detects a 120V and close a isolated contact when I send it a Z-Wave signal.

A faster response option would be to use an alarm system input and command outputs but this would require input and output relays that would need to be potted in epoxy, and also a station wire connection to the alarm panel.

Appreciate any feedback if you've attempted this sort of thing.

Originally posted by Kitar View Post
    Ideally a module that sends a Z-Wave signal when it detects a 120V and close a isolated contact when I send it a Z-Wave signal.
    The Aeotec micro module can do that, except its not an isolated contact. In the application, the contacts don't need isolation as the power source and what you are switching are at the same potential.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Thanks Al. The basic docs for the Micro Smart Switch G2 don't cover all the wiring methods allowed. I did turn up some support docs on Aeotecs web site showing alternative wiring methods that allow live wiring to trigger the switch.

This looks like a nice option for control of the floodlights. A newer ZWave Plus switch will be replacing the G2 by years end so I think I will wait for that.

Comment

Anyone interested in Z-Wave Motion Floodlights please follow link

The thread linked below was started when I was looking for dual Z-Wave fixture relays. Since this became a Z-Wave project the updates are in that thread:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=184844

This project could have easily gone the hardwired route using the DSC panel's PGMs and the CMD out, but it does need station Z to the floodlight location and requires 1x PGM output and 1x free hardwired zone. PGMs are good for garage door control since it is more secure than Z-Wave or X-10.

If you have a DSC panel and are interested in doing a hardwired floodlight project I would be glad to share.

Comment

Fwiw, the Fortrezz mimolite will can do a dry contact closure, and can also detect one as well. For a 120v detection you'd just have to ad an appropriate relay.

Comment

Working...
          X