www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer Software > HomeSeer Amazon Echo Connected Home API

HomeSeer Amazon Echo Connected Home API Discussions related to the Amazon Echo native support for connected home products

Old January 22nd, 2018, 07:18 PM
Seer Master

Right. But can one not utilize the "routines" functionality of the Alexa technology to "map" tasks into a command word?

Your plugin still provides more mature capabilities and I am still considering only using your plugin, but one should be able to:

Create a routine such as "I am taking a shower!" which then has certain tasks associated with it which map into individual macros to use either the Smart Home API or your plugin.
* Turn on bathroom fan
* Turn on bathroom speaker
* Play desired music
* etc etc etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon00 View Post
Unfortunately that is not possible!
HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 07:50 PM
OverSeer

Well... don't mess with your dev skill if it's still working. Mine stopped supporting "Tell" and then when I tried to edit/create a new one, I just can't get past the utterances step #4 in creating my custom dev skill. Seems this was experienced by others as well. Going back to the Homeseer skill works at least. I can tell and ask, but my dev skill which worked for over a year just stopped. WAF took a hit on this one!

https://forums.developer.amazon.com/...#answer-106106

Robert
HS3PRO 3.0.0.435 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dot, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 07:55 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh View Post
Note that the new skill is server based, so you won't see the discovery message in the HS log.
Would it be possible to add a log event showing it happen? Then we'd at least know if Amazon tried to discover against us.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 08:02 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldplusse View Post
I know that Alexa in a group can turn on all lights in that group, by saying 'Alexa, turn on lights'. But i dont want that.
I'm sorry but I'm not quite following what you want it to do. Is it you want to say "turn on the table light" and only have "table light" in that group turn on if you have multiple devices named "table light" in multiple groups? For example a table light in every bedroom.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 08:17 PM
Seer

Appears to be working now

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh View Post
We think the discovery issue is fixed, please run the discovery again and see if your devices show up.
YAY! Whatever you did appears to have worked for me.

Unlinked V2
Linked V3
Ran Discovery
Ended up with duplicate sets of devices (One active, one "Offline")
Did a "Forget All"
Did a Discovery
Got a single set of devices!
Did not appear to work at first.
Checked devices on HS3
Added Voice Command strings - Forgot as V2 apparently used Device names
Rediscovered in Alexa
Working!
Looks like I need to recreate groups in Alexa, though

Thanks!
Old January 22nd, 2018, 08:25 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkomorow View Post
For you table light just shange your voice command to bedroom table light.

What you should be able to do is create a bedrom group with your table light and the bedroom dot called bedroom - and say turn on the bedroom lights from any device or lights on from your bedroom.
Won't work as i need it. There are more lights in the bedroom (or any other room) than one and i dont need to turn them all on.

I have 3 children's rooms, and they all have 3 lights. 1 main light in the ceiling, 1 bedside light and one table light.
They should all be able to have those names in each of the children's room.
so i could easy end of having like 5 table lights all called 'Table Light'.
So one could say Alexa, turn on bedside light or table light or just 'turn on light' for the main light.
It is stupid to stay in a room and have to say that rooms name when calling a light. That is what a room assignment of the Echo should do.

I dont want the 'tell homeseer' skill and i want to be able to only use one room assignment in HS.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 08:32 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldplusse View Post
Won't work as i need it. There are more lights in the bedroom (or any other room) than one and i dont need to turn them all on.

I have 3 children's rooms, and they all have 3 lights. 1 main light in the ceiling, 1 bedside light and one table light.
They should all be able to have those names in each of the children's room.
so i could easy end of having like 5 table lights all called 'Table Light'.
So one could say Alexa, turn on bedside light or table light or just 'turn on light' for the main light.
It is stupid to stay in a room and have to say that rooms name when calling a light. That is what a room assignment of the Echo should do.

I dont want the 'tell homeseer' skill and i want to be able to only use one room assignment in HS.
Alexa needs (and doesn't have as far as I know) a fan-out capability where it first looks for the named device within the group associated to the Alex device hearing the command, and then a fans-out to the rest of the account's devices if it doesn't find one in the local group.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 08:37 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp508 View Post
I'm sorry but I'm not quite following what you want it to do. Is it you want to say "turn on the table light" and only have "table light" in that group turn on if you have multiple devices named "table light" in multiple groups? For example a table light in every bedroom.
You are correct. I would like a 'Table Light' in every room.
If i am in the room i want to turn on, then i should say 'Alexa, turn on table light' if i need to turn on a table light in the room 'Victor' and i am in the kitchen, then i would need to say 'Alexa, turn on victor table light' instead.

This is the only behavior that is natural.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 08:40 PM
Seer Master

How do you group devices to an alexa? Ie. so you can be in the living room and just say alexa, turn on the light?

HSPro - 3.XXX - Dell mini W7 x32
Way2 Call
Elk M1 Gold
UPB HAI switches
HAI RC2000 Thermostat
Old January 22nd, 2018, 08:40 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Alexa needs (and doesn't have as far as I know) a fan-out capability where it first looks for the named device within the group associated to the Alex device hearing the command, and then a fans-out to the rest of the account's devices if it doesn't find one in the local group.
Not sure what 'fan-out' means, english i not my native language.
But what you say, sounds right.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 08:42 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by email68 View Post
How do you group devices to an alexa? Ie. so you can be in the living room and just say alexa, turn on the light?
That what I would like to know also.
BLDSC,BLstat,BLRadar,BLRamdom,BLOccupied
BLups,BLrain8,HSTouch,Ultrajones Weatherbug,
MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
AP800,Honeywell Stat
Old January 22nd, 2018, 10:17 PM
Seer Deluxe

Thé next step of room assignment would be to be able to add anything we want .

Like tv , Plex (Plex in living room or in another room).

Etc.

Is there any way to imp’ement This.

I would like to be able to say. Alexa turn on the tv. And she will know that I am in the living room and. She will not open the tv in the bedroom.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 10:24 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotech View Post
That what I would like to know also.

Create a group in the Alexa app. Add the HS devices as well as the Alexa device in that room to the group. Under the group name when you are done it should say "Alexa enabled."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 22nd, 2018, 11:03 PM
Seer Master

Is Alexa working tonight? I installed the new skill and now nothing is discovering. The alexa app says server not responding.

I did install the latest beta.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 11:19 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Create a group in the Alexa app. Add the HS devices as well as the Alexa device in that room to the group. Under the group name when you are done it should say "Alexa enabled."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have done that, and it say "Alexa enable" if I say bedroom light it will turn on. But if I say "lights on" it will not work. And it only has One device n the group.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 11:22 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotech View Post
I have done that, and it say "Alexa enable" if I say bedroom light it will turn on. But if I say "lights on" it will not work. And it only has One device n the group.
What does the icon of the device look like? Is it a light bulb or a wall-plate & switch? If it is a wall plate you still need to turn on the "Is Light" flag on the device in HomeSeer and rediscover your devices. You want to see the light bulb icon for this to work. I think Rich said you need to be on build .398 or later for all of this to work.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 12:33 AM
Seer Master

Trying to help clear the fog. It seems that quite a few folks are trying this and having some challenges. Looks like Rich has provided updated info at https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=180033/

Alexa will see HomeSeer (via myHS cloud - cloud service requirement by Amazon) as a glorified Smart Home hub. All of this only will support the API classes supported by the union of Alexa and HomeSeer. Keeping in mind that there are limitations to what can be done at the moment as Amazon is early in this stage and the solution is limited. The new solution that HST provided is in support of the Smart Home technology that was designed by Amazon. How one manages the devices that were presented by the smart home hub(s) (Amazon/Alexa allow there to be more than one hub (HomeSeer, Phillips Hue, etc)) is all under the control of the Amazon Alexa APP/Web/technology. I presume that Amazon has more feature rich documentation in terms of management of devices on their end. Granted, if HomeSeer does not send the device information then ultimately it could be an issue under control of HST support. I think that Rich had included some helpful diagnostic information in terms of enabling HomeSeer JSON debug information somewhere on this board.

Note: Alexa pulls the device information from HS3 via the JSON technology and via the myHS cloud. That is my understanding at this point - it could be incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH
In the meantime, if the V3 skill is not showing any devices, can you try this. It might give a clue.

From the tools menu select the Control Panel. In the text box enter:

&hs.debugmode=2048

This enables JSON logging. Now go into your Alexa app and discover your devices again. See if you see some JSON requests in the log like "getstatus". If you do, we know your account is linked to the proper skill and we can see how many devices it found. If the devices are listed there, then we know the skill itself is having an issue processing them.
If you require a more mature and subjectively more open solution, then look at Jon00's Alexa Helper - keeping in mind that you will need to create an Amazon Developer account using your own skill definition and then use the invocation word "Alexa, tell {name of the skill} {command sequence}". This again is a design limitation imposed by Amazon. This is more of an advanced skill level type of project, but you will learn a lot in terms of the underlying layers of Alexa!

This is the baseline of how this functionality is being created. It has only been available for the past two to three days and will get better once HST is able to react to the initial bulk of issues that have been discovered outside of the initial testing that was done.

Last edited by Krumpy; January 23rd, 2018 at 12:59 AM.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 07:04 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
What does the icon of the device look like? Is it a light bulb or a wall-plate & switch? If it is a wall plate you still need to turn on the "Is Light" flag on the device in HomeSeer and rediscover your devices. You want to see the light bulb icon for this to work. I think Rich said you need to be on build .398 or later for all of this to work.
Thank you sir for your explanation, that did work. Do you know by any chance how are events triggered?
Old January 23rd, 2018, 11:57 AM
Seer Deluxe

Under v3 I have lost the ability to Dim my lighting, I thought I saw a comment a few days back to rectify this but couldn't find it again. Alexa says "ok" to the dim request but the light just snaps to "on" even thought the control use settings are setup. What might the difference between v2 and v3 be for those setting aside from the "Is Light" selection? The "Is Dimmable" field is unticked and grayed out.

Looks like other people are having this issue, not sure if the plugin that created the devices (for me, Omni) needs to be updated:

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=1346144

-Travis
Old January 23rd, 2018, 12:32 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daweeze View Post
Under v3 I have lost the ability to Dim my lighting, I thought I saw a comment a few days back to rectify this but couldn't find it again. Alexa says "ok" to the dim request but the light just snaps to "on" even thought the control use settings are setup. What might the difference between v2 and v3 be for those setting aside from the "Is Light" selection? The "Is Dimmable" field is unticked and grayed out.

Looks like other people are having this issue, not sure if the plugin that created the devices (for me, Omni) needs to be updated:

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=1346144

-Travis
Travis - I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if I need to modify device creation to support.

HS3Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi2 (Raspbian)
64 Z-Wave Nodes, 162 Events, 293 Devices
UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
Plugins: Z-Wave, BLRF, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler