Static IP Addresses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Static IP Addresses

Trying to fix an issue that is probably easy for someone that is familiar with setting up networks. After about a week my wifi stops working. I reboot it and it comes back up but all my IP Addresses are different.

I was wondering what the best method is for correcting this issue. How can I keep my IP Addresses from changing after rebooting router or at least some of the key IP Addresses?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this issue !!!!!! Rick

Originally posted by Rick Bonari View Post
    Trying to fix an issue that is probably easy for someone that is familiar with setting up networks. After about a week my wifi stops working. I reboot it and it comes back up but all my IP Addresses are different.

I was wondering what the best method is for correcting this issue. How can I keep my IP Addresses from changing after rebooting router or at least some of the key IP Addresses?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this issue !!!!!! Rick
    Almost all routers allow DHCP reservations, which will cause the device to get the same IP each time it boots. Post the brand and model of your router and we can try to help.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

If it's not called DHCP reservation in your router it might also be called static lease.
      Originally posted by rprade
      There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Thanks Guys,

I have a NETGEAR RangeMax Wireless Router. It is a WPN824v2 Model. Thanks again for your further help on this issue....Rick
        Last edited by Rick Bonari; March 19, 2018, 10:19 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Comment

Thanks Guys,

I have a NETGEAR RangeMax Wireless Router. It is a WPN824v2 Model. Thanks again for your further help on this issue....Rick
          The manual is here. If you look at the top of page 8-16 the instructions for adding a reservation are reasonably clear. You get there by LAN IP setup in the left column. It should be easy to do if you know how to navigate the router GUI. If the instructions aren't clear, ask questions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1195938
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thanks Randy,

I went into the Lan Setup Screen. There was a check mark in the check box for "use router as dhcp" server". Then it gives me beginning and ending ip addresses. Then below this is address reservation and it asks if I want to add. It shows a list of connected devices with MAC Adresses, ip address and name. If I check one of the devices it automatically populates the appropriate fields below. Then it says add. Seems pretty straight forward. Does this sound correct?

Would I be correct in the fact that if I want my hometroller, clients and other devices connected to the network to be assigned a static address they need to be up and running and connected so when I view connected devices in router screen they will be shown as a selection item? Also if I shut one of devices down and power back up would I be correct in saying it will be assigned its same static ip address?

I assume I can select as many devices connected to the router as I want to assign static addresses to?

So if I am thinking correctly here once I do these assignments, I will need to shut the devices down then power up again to have the static address take affect?

Finally, when I shut down the router and restart it again the static ip addresses should be assigned to each device. Would this be correct for any shutdown and restart of the router? I would assume so.

I assume this will work great for port forwarding as I won't have to change the ip address to forward each time the router is rebooted. Is this also correct and I assume it would be?

Thanks again for all your help !!!!! Rick

Comment

If you are not sure what devices are which or their IP address, a program called FING is free and will help you find them; https://www.fing.io/

Comment

Thanks Randy,

I went into the Lan Setup Screen. There was a check mark in the check box for "use router as dhcp" server". Then it gives me beginning and ending ip addresses. Then below this is address reservation and it asks if I want to add. It shows a list of connected devices with MAC Adresses, ip address and name. If I check one of the devices it automatically populates the appropriate fields below. Then it says add. Seems pretty straight forward. Does this sound correct?

Would I be correct in the fact that if I want my hometroller, clients and other devices connected to the network to be assigned a static address they need to be up and running and connected so when I view connected devices in router screen they will be shown as a selection item? Also if I shut one of devices down and power back up would I be correct in saying it will be assigned its same static ip address?

I assume I can select as many devices connected to the router as I want to assign static addresses to?

So if I am thinking correctly here once I do these assignments, I will need to shut the devices down then power up again to have the static address take affect?

Finally, when I shut down the router and restart it again the static ip addresses should be assigned to each device. Would this be correct for any shutdown and restart of the router? I would assume so.

I assume this will work great for port forwarding as I won't have to change the ip address to forward each time the router is rebooted. Is this also correct and I assume it would be?

Thanks again for all your help !!!!! Rick
                cheeryfool

Comment

Some routers actually want the reserved IP addresses (different from static IP addresses) to come from the pool of dynamic IP addresses.

tenholde
                  tenholde

Comment

Googling the NETGEAR RangeMax Wireless Router model # WPN824v2 it appears that it has been problematic with symptoms you describe above over the years.

Rebooting cold or warm and continuously seeing issues is more indicative of hardware issues maybe related to the firmware.

Personally I would update the firmware to most current even though it might have most current version on it already. You can find the firmware here:

Firmware and Software Downloads

Thinking the upgrade of firmware will alleviate the issues but not fix them.

You might want to consider an upgrading your combo box to a newer model different MFG or doing that a la carte stuff with separate devices.
                    Last edited by Pete; March 20, 2018, 10:38 AM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                    X