Do you need a Rain8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you need a Rain8?

Do you have to use a Rain8 controller with this plugin?

I have used a X10 eight relay box to control my valves. In addition I used a second X10 appliance module to turn the power on to prevent false watering.

Can I assign the valves in the mcsSprinklers to my X10 devices for valve control?
    -Tim

HSPro - 3.XXX - Dell mini W7 x32
    Way2 Call
    Elk M1 Gold
    UPB HAI switches
    HAI RC2000 Thermostat

No.

Yes.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Does it use any hardware to measure the soils moisture or does it only do that in the software?
      -Tim

Way2 Call
      Elk M1 Gold
      UPB HAI switches
      HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

You can utilize hardware and or software to generate the moisture content of the soil.

It utilizes a formula based on weather data to create an ET number.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evapotranspiration

I utilize a % of moisture calculated partially by the ET.

For example last season my watering was mostly based on percentage of moisture in the grass and town's watering permission schedule. (times and days of the week).

I get my data from hardware and weather sites. IE: I use a rain tipping bucket for rain perception (stop watering), temperature and humidity, barometric pressure etc.

You can also utilize hardware; gypsum sensor. Here's a picture of my old and now current setup.
        Attached Files
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Looks good Pete. Thanks for the info and pics.

I'm curious since you have HSPro and the Rain8, why would you choose to buy the mcs plugin, when the rain8 is included?
          -Tim

Way2 Call
          Elk M1 Gold
          UPB HAI switches
          HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

The HST Rain8 plugin allows you to control the hardware, but it does not contain any scheduling logic such as that based upon ET or moisture probes. mcsSprinklers provides a irrigation paradymn while the HST plugin provides a generic on/off control of individual discretes.

If you want very basic timed control then there are scripts that could be used along with the HST plugin.

Comment

Actually its been a few years now that I have been running mcsSprinklers; not totally sure; though 6-7 years?

Planned on using it from the get go though when installing the sprinkler system. I think I removed the Rainbird system after a week or two of using it. Need the additional logic here cuz the water was high and today its probably double what it was just two years ago.

I've kept the Rainbird system in FL; except its kind of problematic there with lightning, sand etc. Always fixing or replacing heads and valves and fuses. 10 years of that. Need to put some lighting protection; just never got around to it.
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

So does this plugin really save you money or do you have immaculate lawns that require it.

I have slightly better than a weed patch. Right now I'm just keeping the lawn from being watered when it rains by stopping my rain bird timer with a relay from homeseer across the moisture detecter terminals on the timer. HS reads when its raining from the Ultraweather plugin.

Since I have the x10 relay board, maybe I could switch to using mcsSprinklers if it saves money and my lawn! lol.
                -Tim

Way2 Call
                Elk M1 Gold
                UPB HAI switches
                HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

Never mind. I just noticed the price of the plugin that uses the ET calculations. I don't think I need it that bad ;-)

I didn't know there where three versions of the plugin when I started asking about it.
                  -Tim

Way2 Call
                  Elk M1 Gold
                  UPB HAI switches
                  HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

The savings potential is based upon variabilty in the weather conditions. Desert is the same every day so a timer will work well and a moisture pad on the 24VAC will deal with the occassional storms.

For average climates the savings is typically 25%. It is a combination of week to week variation in sunlight/temperature, characterization of shade/soil variability within a site and savings associated with deferring until forecast rainfall occurs. The more Northern climates tend to have more variabilty, but shorter irrigation seasons. If you look at the literature there is high demand for ET based irrigation for CA.

You can do ET-based irrigation without mcsSprinklers. It is just a tradeoff between how much development you want to do to get there. For example, if using internet-based weather data, you will not be able to use the dominant ET algorithms because the sensor data needed to feed them is not available. You will need to do your own empirical algorithm development based upon what sensor information you do have.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation Michael.
                      -Tim

Way2 Call
                      Elk M1 Gold
                      UPB HAI switches
                      HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

I have before and after lawn pictures somewhere; will have to find them.

The lawn was in very bad shape before I started to take care of it with the sprinkler program / sprinkler system.

For sure mcsSprinklers has saved me money being on just the logic calculated schedule.

We are in the middle of a golf course with water and greens surrounding the small subdivision. I wish I had access to one of the surrounding ponds.

Personally I have to keep up with the greens keepers; we are not allowed any fences here; so the lawns blend in somewhat.

The golfers mostly are using good etiquette and never drive up on people's lawns. There are a "few" houses though that do get hit by balls (broken windows). One neighbor built this see through fence screening...goes up to his roof because of numerous broken windows.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Sounds like a nice place to live Pete.

I'd love to see your lawn pics. Perhaps it will change my priorities! lol
                          -Tim

Way2 Call
                          Elk M1 Gold
                          UPB HAI switches
                          HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

Pete, just curious what part of Florida your house is in. I'm in Apopka (just northwest of Orlando) and on a golf course too. Middle of the fairway, so I get a lot of balls hitting the house. Fortunately just one broken window so far in 5 years, and it wasn't the 12 foot picture window thank goodness!

EDIT: I'm a happy mcsSprinklers customer and use Rain8 too. Not trying to hijack the thread, just interested in it.
                            HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
                            Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
                            Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
                            Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Lots of rules (I used to be on the HOA board). We are in a court "protected" from the golf course by the surrounding houses. I have though found golf balls in the yard (very long drives I am guessing).

Did a quickie drawing with pics. First picture on top. Lawn was in really bad shape and the back yard would literally flood every time it rained due to the drainage. Little top soil so been adding more every year. The lawn is much thicker now too as I have seeded it every year. I can remote control each of the mcsSprinklers zones outside via an old Palm Pad. I have 8 zones and 5 heads on each zone. The manifold with the valves are on one side of the house, traverse the length, go into the basement to the other side of the basement and out to the garage. I put water meter which is looked at by the mcsSprinklers program. You can also water by the gallon.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Pete; February 8, 2012, 06:54 PM.
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                              X