This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 Wire LCD Water FLow and Valves

Hi !! Well I am a newbie, and have to say their is quite a vast amount of great information thru this board and glad to see so many people using it.

In any case, I am somewhat new to HA, but am in the middle of a compelte remodel, and have invested a great amount of time and $$ into building the ultimate HA system for my home.

Currently have HAI OMNI PRO II, Cortexa, Nuvo Grand Concerto, and a load of UPB devices for the home.

I will be purchase HS 2.x today as well. With the vast amoutn of support of devices and development, this will make the HA experience much more fun.

Anyway to what I need, and would like some "best directions" to take. I am installing a massive master shower suite, and among other things in the shower is a KOHLER 10 Jet Waterfall Body spray system. The system works by filling a reservoir (mini pool) below the shower baseboard (6ft x 5ft x 1ft) - about 110 gallans or so. Once filled the unit begins to recycle water (heating it as well) thru the waterfall and 10 body sprays.

Now the issue here is, the water is filled BELOW the shower floor decking. So the optimum scenario would be (all of these ideas gained from reading many many posts on here last night):

An AAG LCD Display panel (3 buttons) on it, which would act as the ON/OFF (2 Inputs) switches for the water.

Using 3/4" valves for hot and cold (NC), pressing ON, would open the valves until (a) OFF button was pressed, or:

the Homeseer displaying on the LCD the FILL DEPTH of the tub in a bar graph form. Using the http://www.flowline.com/echopod/home.lasso
    device I could use that to measure the depth. At a set specific level the Homeseer could shut off the water flow using the valves.

Upon the Homeseer AUTO shutting off the water flow, it could use the 3rd I/O on the LCD to act as a relay to a buzzer of some sort.

The flowline also has emergency/overflow protection which could trigger possibly primary NO open valves to close, in case the HOMESEER was not operating or there was some sort of network communication problem, to a closed position, closing down the water.

Basically an auto fill/off scenario for a mini pool under my shower, with an LED Display the tub fill level.

All of this seems quite possible to do, and am hoping to enlist some ideas, help (even pay someone to help in the proper design of this).

Look forward to hearing back from folks, and if this is in the wrong section/group, i definitely apologize, just point me to the right section.

Shawn

Shawn,
    If your first post includes a link it will be moderated. We did this to cut down on spam. I approved your post so others will now be able to see it. Welcome to the HomeSeer bulletin board.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

1 - Wire Guru's

Is there any one-wire guru's out there, could and would really appreciate the help?

shawn

Comment

Originally posted by smlcaerus View Post

<SNIP>the Homeseer displaying on the LCD the FILL DEPTH of the tub in a bar graph form. Using the http://www.flowline.com/echopod/home.lasso
        device I could use that to measure the depth. At a set specific level the Homeseer could shut off the water flow using the valves.

Upon the Homeseer AUTO shutting off the water flow, it could use the 3rd I/O on the LCD to act as a relay to a buzzer of some sort.

The flowline also has emergency/overflow protection which could trigger possibly primary NO open valves to close, in case the HOMESEER was not operating or there was some sort of network communication problem, to a closed position, closing down the water. <SNIP>
        If I were doing this, I would use a local microcontroller (MCU) to provide the basic control functions (for example, an Elk, Ocelot or your HAI panel) and relegate 1-wire to monitoring and display functions and to user input/overide of known-safe auto setttings under MCU control.

This division of labour gets around the (IME) reliability issues surrounding 1-wire, obviates the need for the PC to be running for functionality but still provides for manual overide, good data display and connection to HomeSeer.

One of the virtues of using analog signals for monitoring and communication is that multiple devices can obtain a signal from the same sensor. So you can have the HAI monitor the level sensor output for control purposes and the 1-wire monitor the same output for display. If the 1-wire or HS or PC go down, the tub won't overflow (or whatever consequence there might be for malfunction).

HTH ... Marc

Comment

1-Wire control

Marc

Terrific, I did not know I could have both monitoring on the same network. Now I need to see how I can interface the unit to the HAI (what device type and such).

Any suggestions on what 1-wire controller I should use for the Homeseer which will allow me to monitor this as well as output to a LCD screen? Not being too familiar with the robust nature of some of the controllers and plug-ins available for Homeseer.

Shawn

Comment

I believe the DS9097U/DS9490D is the only one that interfaces with Homeseer and supports the LCD. This will be either the single serial DS9097U or hobby-boards.com Master Hub or the USB DS9490D. The master hub provides better growth. I know xapmcs1Wire supports both the AAG and the Hobby-boards.com 1-wire LCD interfaces.

Comment

LCD screens

Have folks tried any other LCD screens out there? would be interested in getting an idea of better options if they exist.

shawn

Comment

Working...
              X