Half of z-wave devices disconnected / unreachable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Half of z-wave devices disconnected / unreachable

So this morning I woke up and several of my hardwired z-wave switches are no longer reachable and showing unknown status on the device page. tried cycling the switches directly and no luck; tried controlling from homeseer and again no luck.

Tried optimizing the network and it isn't able to connect to the various nodes. When looking at the devices their routing information is gone.

Using a z-net centered in the house and everything has been working for over a year and a half.

I have tried to remove and re-enroll the switches and they don't seem to be able to grab the remove signals from the z-net, even those that had a direct connection to the z-net previously.

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome. I would prefer to not remove and enroll but if that is the option we can do it.

My first guess is you have a device that has gone rogue/started babbling on the network. I have had this happen twice now and it isn't the easiest to track down. In my case I saw similar symptoms to what you are reporting and concentrated on the devices that were not working. In both my cases it turns out it was a plug-in wall module I think a dimmer both times. I started looking at the device times to find ones that should have triggered and hadn't and was able to start testing them one by one. Of course with most stuff not working in that area it made it hard to find. I ended up pulling one tdevice that should have turned off/on several times over the last few days and it appears it hadn't in the logs and sure enough once I pulled it from the wall everything else started working.

Another option is to try "booting" the house at the circuit breakers one at a time and see if some of the devices come back or if maybe once that offending device gets power cycled completely it might at least temporarily resolve the issue. I know several others have talked about using another device to help track it down like an old z-troller that has a display on it, but I haven't had the issue happen again to test that approach.

Good luck,
    Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by cerjzc View Post
      My first guess is you have a device that has gone rogue/started babbling on the network.
      Jeff
      I will have to dig in and try, the majority of issue is on one side of the house for the most part, but not exclusive. Overall it is impacting everything from dimmers to plugs... let the digging begin.

Comment

Originally posted by norcalhkr View Post
        I will have to dig in and try, the majority of issue is on one side of the house for the most part, but not exclusive. Overall it is impacting everything from dimmers to plugs... let the digging begin.
        That's how mine was as well. Pretty much all of the devices close to the device would not work, but some outliers on the other side of the house showed issues as well. For one I couldn't add any new devices in any part of the house when it was happening. If I recall correctly both of mine were the old Intermatic plugin modules HA03C's I think.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by cerjzc View Post
          That's how mine was as well. Pretty much all of the devices close to the device would not work, but some outliers on the other side of the house showed issues as well. For one I couldn't add any new devices in any part of the house when it was happening. If I recall correctly both of mine were the old Intermatic plugin modules HA03C's I think.

Jeff

Yeah, I am thinking I will pull the air switches on all of the devices and unplug any others that are acting up and they go through process of elimination... this is the one downside of HA, once and a while the gremlins come out.

Comment

Still trying to figure out the issue and while digging through the logs I am noticing a tremendous number of z-wave logs. in just 12 hours there are over 16,000 z-wave logs. Polling is turned off or set to 20 minutes on most of the devices. There are a couple of power reporting devices but not many (3 total). Is it normal to have that many z-wave related logs?

Comment

When you say z-wave logs what exactly are you talking about? Can you share a few examples here? Also if you go back from before the issue started do you see similar amounts?

Jeff

Comment

I was looking in the logs for HS3 with z-wave filtered. I checked from as far back as I could go and it is similar in count. It just seemed like a tremendous number of entries in the HS3 logs.

Comment

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with if you have the logging option checked on each device. If you are talking about selecting Z-Wave under the Type drop down on the log page. I just selected the current time of the 9th at midnight back to the 1st at Midnight and I have 18,881 entries. I do have most of my devices turned off so they don't always log, but it does till pick up all of the device changes.

If you select Z-Wave error for the entire range of time you have logs for does that give you any clues?

Jeff

Comment

there was a tremendous spike in errors starting from when we first recognized the issue and they mostly appear to be "Failed sending Z-Wave command to device: " What is interesting is there were two errors the night that everything went sideways but I can't make heads or tails.

Jun-07 5:14:26 AM Z-Wave Error (2) Sensor Multilevel Report for type Distance received, but the corresponding device Node ID cannot be found.(2) Node/Instance=39/-1

Jun-07 2:06:25 AM Z-Wave Error (2) Sensor Multilevel Report for type Relative_Humidity received, but the corresponding device Node ID cannot be found.(2) Node/Instance=39/-1

Node 39 is an Aeon Outlet which is currently communicating etc. but that might be a place to start. I don't know why there would be a distance or a humidity report for a device that wouldn't support either.

Comment

that wasn't it, pulled node 39 from the power... issue persists. I will have to start power cycling in the morning when we don't risk waking people up.

Comment

I am at a complete loss. Power cycled everything, pulled the air gap on all switches that are not working and started turning back on one at a time to see if any would work and nothing. Tried to add a new device to the network and it would see it even though it is right next to it.

Tried moving the z-net and now it can't see the ethernet side only wifi (it is hardwired through another switch that is working for the other devices and IP address is reserved in the router)

Going to try an extra smart stick that I have lying around and see if that fairs better.

Comment

Have you tried SSHing into the Z-NET so see if you actually have a connection?
                          HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
                          Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                          Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
                          3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
                          4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
                          3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
                          SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

Originally posted by Timon View Post
                            Have you tried SSHing into the Z-NET so see if you actually have a connection?

How does a person do that?

Comment

I was able to connect to it... just took several initializations. Trying to optimize since it was moved but not getting good results on the remaining nodes, turning into a heck of a mess

Comment

Working...
                              X