Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playback of .wav files in HS3 is truncated

Hi Folks,

I'm just getting reacquainted with HS after a long (~15 year) absence and my first task is to setup some simple events where HS plays a .wav file upon a device state change.

The event runs perfectly fine; however, what's odd is that the HS playback of the file truncates the last maybe .5-1.0 seconds of the file. I've tried multiple files and they all evidence this behaviour.

My cludge-y solution is to edit the files to insert ~2 seconds or so of "extra" silence at the end, which seems to work... but does anyone know why this is the case that HS closes the file prematurely (or it could be that Windows Media Player is closing the file prematurely - I'm not clear exactly on which application is doing the actual work)??

Many thanks,
    Jcd

Originally posted by jcd View Post
    Hi Folks,

I'm just getting reacquainted with HS after a long (~15 year) absence and my first task is to setup some simple events where HS plays a .wav file upon a device state change.

The event runs perfectly fine; however, what's odd is that the HS playback of the file truncates the last maybe .5-1.0 seconds of the file. I've tried multiple files and they all evidence this behaviour.

My cludge-y solution is to edit the files to insert ~2 seconds or so of "extra" silence at the end, which seems to work... but does anyone know why this is the case that HS closes the file prematurely (or it could be that Windows Media Player is closing the file prematurely - I'm not clear exactly on which application is doing the actual work)??

Many thanks,
    Jcd

I have not experienced that issue. My files play just fine, however I use mp3 not wav files.

- Robert

Comment

Try ticking the "Wait for Speech to Finish" option:
      Attached Files
      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Thank you fellows...

I do indeed have the "Wait for speech to finish" box ticked...
        Robert, I'll try to convert the files to .mp3 and see if this changes the behaviour; otherwise I suppose I could just continue to pad the files with a couple seconds of silence at the end...

Cheers,
        Jcd

Comment

Same Issue

I have had the truncated .wav file issue throughout all my installations of HS3, including the current version. It is even worse for the speaker client on an HSTouch remote. I have not tried MP3.

Comment

Have you guys put in Bugzilla tickets on this?
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Rupp!!! Hello my old friend!

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
              Have you guys put in Bugzilla tickets on this?
              No. I wanted to inquire if it was possibly an artifact of the PC itself (Windows Media Player) and nothing to do with HS per se. To my very rudimentary understanding, I wonder if HS just makes a call to open the WMP and lets Windows handle from there? Is that so, or does HS playback the file itself?

Rupp, it's good to see your name... wow! You've been active here forever! I recall over ten years ago (when I was last active with HS; a lot has happened in life between then and now, hence my absence) you were always a tremendous help and resource... so, thank you and glad you're still here helping!

Jcd

Comment

Originally posted by jcd View Post
                No. I wanted to inquire if it was possibly an artifact of the PC itself (Windows Media Player) and nothing to do with HS per se. To my very rudimentary understanding, I wonder if HS just makes a call to open the WMP and lets Windows handle from there? Is that so, or does HS playback the file itself?

Rupp, it's good to see your name... wow! You've been active here forever! I recall over ten years ago (when I was last active with HS; a lot has happened in life between then and now, hence my absence) you were always a tremendous help and resource... so, thank you and glad you're still here helping!

Jcd
                Welcome back, welcome back (in the tune of Welcome back Kotter) Yea a lot has changed yet a lot has remained the same.
                I'll ask Rich about this but in the mean time have you tried a longer wav as a test to see if much more than a few seconds gets cut off. I'm sure the wav files are played with WMP so you may be onto something.
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                  I'll ask Rich about this but in the mean time have you tried a longer wav as a test to see if much more than a few seconds gets cut off. I'm sure the wav files are played with WMP so you may be onto something.
                  Hi Rupp, yes, the behaviour is the same for .wav files of varying lengths: it's always the last .5-1 second truncated.

Not a huge deal, as I have a workaround by padding the file... it's just a bit more editing work, but this is not a showstopper by any means.

Cheers,
                  Jcd

Comment

Working...
                  X