Got a new one - Fire HD10 with Alexa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a new one - Fire HD10 with Alexa

My new toy to test with got here a little while ago, been messing with it for about an hour and I think its a winner. The new Fire HD10 with Alexa (hands free) built in is not to shabby for 150 bucks. Loaded the Play store, set up HSTouch, loaded a project from my Nexus 7 and I must say this thing rocks. Alexa responds great and it's kinda the best of both. Nice 10" full 1080 display and voice control all in one.
    Gonna be a late one tonight!

John
    Attached Files

Very nice! The always-on Alexa must be pretty nice as well!
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

What exactly does "always on Alexa" mean? Do you not have to say Alexa first?
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
        What exactly does "always on Alexa" mean? Do you not have to say Alexa first?
        Yes, you have to say "Alexa" first.
        Always-on means you do not have to press a button before speaking, like the Echo Tap.
        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Looks like it might be a nice wall mounted device....
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
          Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
          weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

I decided to replace my bedroom wall tablet with a 10" Alexa unit, I had a smaller 7" tablet inside a frame that was nice but this is so much better. Just gotta go find the paint now and do a little touch up. I used a nice Arlington Industries recessed box that allowed for a USB wall outlet to sink way into the wall and keep it all legal. Above that I put a 7" magnetic mount and a couple metal "stickers" on the back of the tablet along the top edge, very strong setup. For power I cut the micro USB ribbon cable plug off a Qi wireless charging and spliced a USB A connector to the cut end. It works great and I can remove the tablet from the wall in seconds if needed. The magnet is about 3/8" thick so the tablet looks as if its floating on the wall, my wife absolutely loves it and that is some tough action! LOL

John
            Attached Files

Comment

Where did you get the right angle (to the tablet) USB cable? I use a fire for next to my bed and I hate that the cable sticks out.

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
                Where did you get the right angle (to the tablet) USB cable? I use a fire for next to my bed and I hate that the cable sticks out.
                A Google search for "right angle micro USB" should get you a long list of sources. Amazon has a bunch - no surprise.

PS. You need to pay attention to left-handed or right-handed and that's confusing because the reference direction is not always clear. I just order some of each.
                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Yes, but his looks very low profile where it plugs into the tablet. I checked Amazon and Google before posting but didn't have much luck finding one with a low profile tip like that on the tablet side.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

I made the cable for these, it is a plug from a Qi wireless charging adaptor, they come with really flush connectors with a ribbon cable that runs to the charging coil, I just unsoldered the cable from the PCB and attached a USB plug. They are like 10 bucks on Amazon

John
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X