Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keypad recommendations

Hi

I'm currently in the planning phase for a new house. After a lot of reading, I thought I decided to go with Leviton hardware, mostly because their Vizia RF range includes everything i need (including a fan controller, for example).

After some more detailed planning, it turns out I would end up with 6 switches / dimmers etc. in several locations. Not only does that get quite expensive, I also think it doesn't look very good.

So I started looking into keypads to use as "remote control" for the Z-Wave switches and dimmers. Essentially what I'm trying to accomplish is to combine several controlls into a single unit. But it seems I can't find something that meets all requirements. So far I considered:

- Lutron Pico remotes: Apparently only control a single load (or max. 2, but not for dimming)
    - Insteon Keypadlinc: Have a lot of reliability / quality issues???
    - Leviton or Eaton scene or zone controllers: Also seem to be hard to get to work reliably
    - GE scene controller: Don't like the design

So I guess my question is: Is there a keypad which allows me to reliably remote control Z-Wave (Leviton?) dimmers, switches and fan controllers? Or, just wall mount a tablet and use HSTouch?

Thanks!

I have three of these lying around (or they can be mounted). I only included as a device, not a controller. I have programmed things like garaged door open, if closed and close if open to one button. In theory there are 32 button combinations but I see realistically 16 for easy use with HS3. All my button presses trigger events.

They're not much bigger than a deck of cards and easy to wall mount.

https://www.amazon.com/ZRC-90US-BW85...ywords=remotec

Note that there is also a newer ZRC-100 but I've only seen it on the remoted website. https://www.remotec.com.hk/product-services/

Comment

My concern with using keypads is that if HS needs to be running to accomplish your desired effect, then you wouldn't have any control if the HS computer went south.

We use HS Wx100+ switches and dimmers along with GE fan controllers. We designed our environment such that if the computer or z-net, or ?? goes down, everything still works in a "dumb" environment.
      Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Rvtravlr View Post
        ..goes down, everything still works in a "dumb" environment.
        this is what I do as if I was to be exited from this earth.. I don't want my house to stop functioning because no one else knows how to do this...
        HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Also if you go to sell the house in the future, could be a big issue without physical switches. May not even pass inspection.

Comment

Interesting thinking on the physical switches. I have quite a few lights that have no switches but I consider them ambiance lighting more than anything else. LED strip lights under the kitchen cabinets, UW lights by the dock, mood lighting on the deck, etc. For me any physical switch that existed in the house, still has a switch albeit a z-wave switch.

Comment

I have the Cooper 5 button scene controller sold in the HS shop. It appears identical to the Eaton. I use the Cooper to control 4 Aeotec micro zwave dimmers.

When I programmed each button of the scene controller I set them to control one micro each. The buttons control the micro's directly via zwave commands which aren't routed through homeseer so the switch works as expected regardless of homeseer being up or not.

Note that since setting this up I recently saw a video on homeseer where an association to homeseer is set up to each button; I'm not sure if doing this would still allow direct control from the 5 button controller since it appears the homeseer video controlled the devices using events.

I agree with above suggestions to keep the wiring logical. I could replace all of my smart switches with off the shelf dumb components and the house lighting would function, it just wouldn't be as flexible. ie instead of having individual control over 4 lights in my living room they would all come on at once.
              HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
              Number of Devices: 1005
              Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I forgot to mention that I considered that Remotec keypad, but I don't like its design and I would much prefer something that can be mounted in-wall.

Regarding the physical switches: Maybe I didn't explain it well enough, maybe I don't understand what you're saying, but I don't plan to control everything directly from keypads. All loads / lights would still have at least one physical switch / dimmer. The thing is that I'm planning a lot of 3- and 4-way setups, which increases the number of switches. So what I'd like to do is use keypads for those scenarios.

the Cooper 5 button scene controller
                Can you use the Cooper to control dimmers as well, or is it just on/off?

At this point I'm considering going with Insteon (although the reviews sound horrible) or just wall mount a couple of tablets and use HSTouch.

Comment

Originally posted by soarer View Post
                  Thanks for all the suggestions.

At this point I'm considering going with Insteon (although the reviews sound horrible) or just wall mount a couple of tablets and use HSTouch.
                  I use Insteon and the great thing is that the actual switches hold all the information so you don't NEED a controller for basic or even control of scenes. I really wish that Z-wave had the features of Insteon (controllers with On/Off, Fast On/Off, Dim Up/Down). With my KPLs I can control 8 different devices or scenes. I can dim up/down with that same button if I want, or split it out to 2 buttons (one on/dim up, one off/dim down) Currently I only use insteon for my Ceiling Fans and the lights attached. I do use the KPLs to also control z-wave devices via HS, but these are normally less important devices (like outlets) so if HS goes down it's not a huge deal that they don't work.

The new HomeSeer switches with the single, double, and triple tap are nice, but you are still limited to 1 control per gang (as opposed to 6-8 on the KPLs). I really want z-wave to catch up because I like that it's more than 1 company making the hardware. There are reports of hardware issues with Insteon, but luckily I haven't encountered that yet except for a bad PLM.

I'm not trying to be an Insteon evangelist, but it does have some nice features. I happen to use an ISY between the PLM and Homeseer, but that is because I used it on my Vera before. If I were to start over, I would go with Mark's plugin instead I think.

But Seriously HomeSeer needs to figure out how to create 1) a KeyPadLinc z-wave equivalent (even without dimming), and 2) a FanLinc Equivalent (fan/light controller that fits in the fan's canopy).

*Yes, I know that z-wave has associations, but as far as I know, that is only on/off control. Not dim up/down as well, which I think is a feature that z-wave is severely lacking for it's "controllers".

Comment

Can you use the Cooper to control dimmers as well, or is it just on/off?
                    Yep when you associate a dimmer with the Cooper. 1 tap turns on/off. If on, press and hold dims either up or down.
                    HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
                    Number of Devices: 1005
                    Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

I agree, Insteon offers some features / components that I couldn't find an equivalent for in the Z-wave ecosystem. On the other hand, Insteon is missing a couple of components that I need (i.e. outdoor motion sensors) and I'm not sure i want to mix and match, because then I would depend on HS to bridge that gap.

That Cooper keypad might be interesting. I don't assume you (or anyone else) has any experience using it in combination with Leviton dimmers and switches? Apart from the keypad, I would really like to go for a brand that has a fan controller and avoid using components from different manufacturers as much as possible (to avoid compatibility issues and have rows of switches each with its own design). I think this limits me to either Leviton or GE.

Comment

I agree, Insteon offers some features / components that I couldn't find an equivalent for in the Z-wave ecosystem. On the other hand, Insteon is missing a couple of components that I need (i.e. outdoor motion sensors) and I'm not sure i want to mix and match, because then I would depend on HS to bridge that gap.

That Cooper keypad might be interesting. I don't assume you (or anyone else) has any experience using it in combination with Leviton dimmers and switches? Apart from the keypad, I would really like to go for a brand that has a fan controller and avoid using components from different manufacturers as much as possible (to avoid compatibility issues and have rows of switches each with its own design). I think this limits me to either Leviton or GE.
                        Were you able to find a good z-wave outdoor motion sensor? I haven't. I use 3 Insteon motion sensors (under my eaves and on the front porch) and 1 z-wave, but as far as I know, all 4 state they are not really intended for outdoor use. I'm not even sure they work in the bright sun (not an issue as I use them for lights at night). Currently I'm looking into using actual outdoor light motion sensors hooked up to a z-wave relate to get the "motion" status. Another option is an alarm board and security sensors.

Also, it seems like the cooper does allow dimming, which I wasn't aware you could do with z-wave so that is really nice! You learn something new every day.

Comment

Were you able to find a good z-wave outdoor motion sensor?
                          Lol, I'm still in the planning stage and have 0 experience with home automation so far . All I know there are several z-wave motion sensors that supposedly can be used outside. I also plan on installing smart locks, similar story. Just looks like there is no one system that has it all.

Comment

Working...
                          X